• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
I prefer looking at the places, history and mythology than all the creepy corpse pics, and the details of the actual crimes.

I'm a wuss.

100% agree newt. That makes me a wuss as well then.

Perhaps a new thread should be created for something like this to keep this thread on topic.

I love walking around taking pics of fortean related old parts of the world, not just London but other towns and villages, wherever my travels take me.

Every day on my way to work, I walk past the Exchange buildings where three policemen were murdered during the “Houndsditch outrage” of 1910 - places where notorious history has taken place has always intrigued me.

Exchange Buildings in 1910
1558603647614.jpg

Exchange Buildings today
1558603662118.jpg

Yes! There should be a thread for The psychogeography of Jack the Ripper's London!!!

I was looking on google today. Seems like the Bucks Row site has been totally obliterated.

But I did find this, which is so spooky and sad.

imgur.com/gallery/0WR2njW

Grrr... I can't get the link to work properly, but it is worth looking at, honest!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wonder if the Ripper was killing/harvesting organs to order? And then I thought maybe he was looking for a foetus, hence abdominal wounds, missing uterus etc.

Or was he a hired assassin, making sure no heir to the throne could grow inside a woman of the night?

A handbag got stolen from one member that night (no longer posting, not due to said theft).

At another London meet we discovered the 'Spankorama' in Soho (but made our excuses and left).

There was an unfortunate outbreak of faux Irish dancing in a dog rough Irish gay pub that almost got another member of this forum killed at another meet in Brighton.

The meet you're thinking of was just a couple of folks from here met up with another person who used to post here and said person turned out to be not quite as good company as we'd hoped for and to cut a long story short we barely escaped with our lives.
*note to self* NEVER go anywhere with members of this forum. i will end up skinned and buggered.

*note to self* NEVER go anywhere with members of this forum. i will end up skinned and buggered.
It does sound like that, from what Heckler says.

I am currently re-reading "the five" by Hallie Rubenhold, fascinating but heartbreaking, it had a mediocre review in the magazine but I would highly recommend it.

Listverse has a new article pinning the blame definitely on Kosminski. I don't know a huge amount about him, but it seems to me to be a case of cherry picking, especially the DNA evidence.
www.listverse.com

From that article:

In 1891, Aaron Kosminski was confined to the Colney Hatch Asylum. The 5 “canonical murders” which have been officially credited to Jack the Ripper stopped soon after.

Erm? They'd have to have stopped before, or at the precise time of, Kosminski's confinement to an institution; if it was 'soon after', then it wasn't him - because he was confined to an institution.

I’ve thought about having Jack The Ripper being an evil spirit that takes over different people in a story. It would explain why it’s never been pinned on one person. But that’s just my fictitious ramblings.

The Star Trek episode, "Wolf in the Fold"

Good ep, that, some questionable details aside. Who knew Piglet was really a homicidal maniac? :p

One curiosity. It gives old JR the alternate moniker of Redjac. Any precedence for that, or was it made up entirely for the episode, I wonder?

I think that was a name used on one of the other planets the entity had gone to?

I think that was a name used on one of the other planets the entity had gone to?

To quote the episode:-

Wolf in the Fold said:
COMPUTER: Redjac. Source Earth, nineteenth century. Language, English. Nickname for mass murderer of women. Other Earth synonym, Jack the Ripper.

I'm guessing it was cooked up to facilitate a suitably dramatic reveal, but I don't know for sure.

Oh! In all the times I've watched that episode I've never picked up that it was /our/ JtR with that name!

We'd have to search on all spellings...

... One curiosity. It gives old JR the alternate moniker of Redjac. Any precedence for that, or was it made up entirely for the episode, I wonder?

"Redjac" is the (phonetically interpreted) name uttered by the Argelian woman Sybo, who used an "empathic contact" to read Scotty's mind (or emotions, or whatever ... ). "Red Jack" is mentioned later as a clue derived from this odd "Redjac" label that the ephemeral entity was the same one known on earth as "Jack the Ripper."

Renowned horror author Robert Bloch wrote this episode, which was adapted (not for the first time) from his 1940's short story "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper." This short story has been anthologized many times over the subsequent decades.

This transcript of the short story:

https://talesofmytery.blogspot.com/2013/02/robert-bloch-yours-truly-jack-ripper.html

... includes the following dialogue ...

"Mr. Carmody," he said, "have you ever heard of — Jack the Ripper?"

"The murderer?" I asked.

"Exactly. The greatest monster of them all. Worse than Springheel Jack or Crippen. Jack the Ripper. Red Jack."

"Redjac" comes from "Red Jack", "Red Jack" came into the screenplay by way of Bloch, and Bloch alluded to JTR as "Red Jack" in his earlier short story.

Having said that ... I'm unable to determine whether the label "Red Jack" (for JTR) originated with the 1940's-era Bloch short story or with some other earlier source.

The addition of "Red" was a relatively common way of glossing a criminal's or outlaw's name to indicate notable bloodthirstiness back in the 19th century, so there's a chance JTR was cited as "Red Jack" back then. I just can't find anything to support that possibility.

Back