• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jade Goody: Has She Truly Passed Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellydandodi

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
...and, if so, did she die at the time and date given? Dodgy territory, I know, but I wanted a forum to divine the turth or otherwise of what could be described as Max Clifford's PR masterpiece (or folly, depending on what you think)
The "Jade" saga also provides interesting fodder for those interested in the sublimating of the news agenda and the creation of, or over-emphasis upon, trivia or irrelevance that bad news might be buried.
Your thoughts or otherwise on what may prove an interesting Fortean area - even if it resurrects some of the topics Diana's death raised - most realistically being the possible mass hysteria that could festoon Ms. Goody's funeral.

I dunno...

Did she really exist in the first place?

Could anyone be that fat, ugly, stupid, nasty & racist and still go on to make millions?

If there is a body then it will be probably torn to pieces by her fans.

Stake through the heart as well and drown her in Holy Water, shoot her with silver bullets, stuff her with garlic and roast her!

And use her to feed the homeless. I think it's what Saint Jade of Goody would have wanted.

Whoa, ease up on the nasty comments there, you lot! :)
I didn't like her myself, but I don't think she deserves such vitriol after her (tragically young) death.
She did fulfil a useful purpose just before her death: she provided an object lesson in what happens if you have lots of unprotected sex with a number of partners, at a very young age. She is the poster girl for the campaign to get cervical screening and immunisation for women under 25.

And, if you've never watched someone close, die a long slow and lingering death from cancer, then I hope you never do.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
And, if you've never watched someone close, die a long slow and lingering death from cancer, then I hope you never do.

Just so.

Kellydandodi said:
...and, if so, did she die at the time and date given? Dodgy territory, I know, but I wanted a forum to divine the turth or otherwise of what could be described as Max Clifford's PR masterpiece (or folly, depending on what you think)

If Max Clifford did manipulate the announcement of Jade Goody's death, don't you think he would have done it in good time for it to make the Sunday papers?

Could anyone be that fat, ugly, stupid, nasty & racist

So anyone you find unattractive or unintelligent deserves to die of cancer?

I say we cut her head off just to make sure.

Tedious and exploitative though the media circus around Jade Goody has been, it pales into insignificance compared to the disgusting comments made by supposedly intelligent and liberal people on this message board.

Shame on you all. :(

Quake42 said:
Could anyone be that fat, ugly, stupid, nasty & racist

So anyone you find unattractive or unintelligent deserves to die of cancer?

I really don't think they were either saying or inferring that.

Quake42 said:
I say we cut her head off just to make sure.

Tedious and exploitative though the media circus around Jade Goody has been, it pales into insignificance compared to the disgusting comments made by supposedly intelligent and liberal people on this message board.

Shame on you all. :(

I agree: if you want to write such unpleasant comments, please find another thread. On another board.

This is a classic case of 'If you can't say anything nice....'

I'm amazed at the hatred some people have shown for a person they don't even know. It's really let the site down I think.

She's gone now. Whatever you thought of Jade herself, she's left two small children that loved her.

This was always going to be a touchy subject, but I think given the strength of feeling, we'll warn now that any more of the spiteful comments and we'll dump the thread wholesale without further discussion.

I feel responsible for inviting vituperatively sardonic comments through the ambiguity of my initial post so I'll support a move to close the thread if need be.
What I would invite is investigation, debate and study of the power of Clifford (Max, not the big, red dog), of the viability of speculation that he manipulated the Jade Goody illness story into 'The Truman Show' grade (had Jade, for example, been dead long before her death announcement or has she, in fact, died at all?) Philosophical debate on this line would be welcome.
Opinion of Jade and of the culture she represents should be dispensed with I feel - was John Diamond valid in his diary of death because of his erudition and or class, or status in the cognoscenti?
Apologies, again for the timing, sensationalistic protuberance and misinterpretation of my original post.

What I would invite is investigation, debate and study of the power of Clifford (Max, not the big, red dog), of the viability of speculation that he manipulated the Jade Goody illness story into 'The Truman Show' grade (had Jade, for example, been dead long before her death announcement or has she, in fact, died at all?) Philosophical debate on this line would be welcome.

Interesting. Clifford is a master manipulator, but I don't think he could pull off a stunt like this. Too many people would have had to be involved, including people such as Royal Marsden doctors etc who would have had little if any incentive to go along with a scam.

Opinion of Jade and of the culture she represents should be dispensed with I feel - was John Diamond valid in his diary of death because of his erudition and or class, or status in the cognoscenti?

There was discussion on this in the Jade Goody thread in Mainsteam News - my own view is that there is no difference between the two. Both are desperately sad cases and both decided to live out their final days in the media. I don't think either of them should be judged for doing so.

Pietro_Mercurios said:

Yes I have, good people who made a contribution to the betterment of Humanity.

I didn't wish this death on JG but I'm just being honest regarding my feelings about her as a person.

Kellydandodi said:
I feel responsible for inviting vituperatively sardonic comments through the ambiguity of my initial post so I'll support a move to close the thread if need be.
That's OK - as I said, it was always going to be a touchy subject. No warnings have been issued or friendly-words-in-ears, but from now on, no more vitriol. OK?
Kellydandodi said:
What I would invite is investigation, debate and study of the power of Clifford (Max, not the big, red dog)..
Now THAT is well worth discussion. Did anyone else see the.. erm.. interesting C4 documentary about Benjamin Pell, Scandal in the Bins? There was a somewhat, shall we say revealing interview with Mr Clifford therein, including some off the record stuff that sounded downright threatening.
Kellydandodi said:
Apologies, again for the timing, sensationalistic protuberance and misinterpretation of my original post.
Apolgies not needed, I'm sure - and yes, wider discussion of the attitudes toward Jon Diamond (journo, columnist, glitterati and husband to Nigella Lawson) as opposed to those toward Jade (reality celeb, glitterati and wife to the non-media friendly Jack Tweed) are fully justified.

Just lay off the ad hominae, please - we're all articulate enough to rise above that kind of vitriol.

Mythopoeika said:
She did fulfil a useful purpose just before her death: she provided an object lesson in what happens if you have lots of unprotected sex with a number of partners, at a very young age.

Is this really a scientific fact? That "unprotected sex with a number of partners, at a very young age" can give a woman cancer?

Well OK, you got me there, Zeph, re my badly-worded post. :)
I should have qualified it by saying that it increases the risk of developing cancer. But you knew what I meant. :)

Is this really a scientific fact? That "unprotected sex with a number of partners, at a very young age" can give a woman cancer?

My understanding is that cervical cancer is caused by a virus passed during unprotected sex. A greater number of partners will increase the risk and I *think* that the danger is greater if the woman becomes sexually active at a young age.

That said, cervical cancer at Jade Goody's age is mercifully very, very rare.

Last week some people at my work held a sweepstake on when she would die. For obvious reasons I didn't take part although I did predict that it would be some time between late Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. Perhaps it's the would-be journalist in me but the death being aligned to Mothers' Day seemed like a probable narrative. Of course, it could be the case that by the end she was being kept alive by the desire to spend even just a few moments with her children on this day. The body has its limitations but it's also capable of defying the odds - and accepting them - when the desire is there.

On the general topic of animosity towards Jade - I'm no fan and I've certainly been critical of her in the past but it's the culture which promoted her which should be the subject of people's scorn. Jade Goody was a young woman of low intelligence off of a bad family which seemed incapable of equipping with her the mentality to get on in society. There are plenty of people like this in Britain. However, at a time when the subject of bullying - rightfully - is the focus of intervention in schools it seems that popular culture is subject to a different set of standards.

She was essentially the playground idiot and many, many people enjoyed the bullying she suffered. When she responded as the general public had to her by bullying a fellow housemate she was the victim of some of the most breathtaking hypocrisy this society can muster.

I was at a comedy club recently, an amateur night admittedly, and about half of the comedians did a series of jokes about her. I'm not easily offended but I do wince when the witless attack the puppet rather than its master. Not one of them had anything worthwhile to say about the hypocrisy and insincerity of the media or the society that consumes it. They didn't even bother trying. They just made some jokes about a poor, slow-witted and physically unattractive young women instead.

It was said that the death of Princess Diana showed that Britain was now somehow a more caring nation. The very fact of Jade Goody's fame, amounting to little more than being an Aunt Sally for all sorts of cowardly cruelty, suggests otherwise and no amount of shallow eulogies in tear-soaked tabloids can change this.

For a bit of discussion of the power/reach of Max Clifford, there's a Louis Theroux documentary well worth watching: When Louis met Max Clifford.
It's a genuinely fascinating piece of film - Louis and Max almost start playing real-life chess. When Louis does something Max doesn't approve of, immediately a piece implying that Louis is gay appears in the Mirror. There are truly Machiavellian machinations at work here.

And luckily for us - it's on youtube!

Link to Part 1

The Louis Theroux doc is truly excellent. Max Clifford is an odd chap indeed and it's clear he abuses his position. He seems to "play" the media in the UK and has some agendas of his own.

Did he fake Jade's death? Did it cross his mind? Undoubtably.

linesmachine said:
Max Clifford is an odd chap indeed and it's clear he abuses his position.

I'm not sure what abusing your position means as a publicist. He just generates publicity...very effectively. Of course he "plays" the media, that's the job of everyone in PR, isn't it?

ramonmercado said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

I didn't wish this death on JG but I'm just being honest regarding my feelings about her as a person.
Which 'honesty' probably tells others more about you as a person, than they really need to know.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
ramonmercado said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

Which 'honesty' probably tells others more about you as a person, than they really need to know.

Really? Care to elaborate?

Am I not allowed to criticise St Jade now?

She has shown by her actions what a sort of a person she was.

You know nothing about me.

But I'll be boastful. I reckon that with my long record of activism in the trade union movement and in causes helping other people I'm a better person than the money grubbing St Jade and her money grubbing family who are making the funeral of St Jade into a money spinner.

ramonmercado said:
ramonmercado said:

Pietro_M said:

Really? Care to elaborate?

Am I not allowed to criticise St Jade now?

She has shown by her actions what a sort of a person she was.

You know nothing about me.

But I'll be boastful. I reckon that with my long record of activism in the trade union movement and in causes helping other people I'm a better person than the money grubbing St Jade and her money grubbing family who are making the funeral of St Jade into a money spinner.
Anyone, with an ounce of insight, reading your Posts, these last few days, now knows everything they need to know about you.

I hope the trade union movement knows how lucky it is.

You really are a bit of a nasty type aren't you?

I stick by what I said about St Goody and her dire family who are screwing every last penny out of the funeral and her jailbird hubie who has sold his memoirs. Do you think JGs kids will ever see any of that money?

When Jade Goody, who has died aged 27 of cancer, was evicted from the Big Brother house in Elstree, Hertfordshire, in July 2002, the mood was medieval. Mobs chanted "Burn the pig" as she walked down the runway into the chill clutches of Davina McCall, the host of the Channel 4 television reality show. The People had already branded the 20-year-old "Miss Piggy" on account of her appearance, and ran headlines such as "Ditch the witch" and "Gobby Jade is public enemy no 1". For a moment, it seemed that a vulnerable and evidently poorly educated woman was going to be lynched – certainly figuratively – for the 21st-century crimes of being dim, mouthy and libidinous on a reality show.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/ma ... y-obituary

Mobs chanted "Burn the pig" as she walked down the runway
I had forgotten that part. I guess some people didn't like her from the very start. I think her claims of being a dental nurse should be checked out. To become any type of a nurse you require a certain level of intelligence and it takes years of study and on the job training to qualify. Difficult to see how JG could have fitted all of that in by age 20.

Just another part of the invention of JG I guess. But interestingly this was most likely an invention of her own. She always had cunning.

So, maybe she isn't dead. She may have headed off with the money leaving her mother holding the babies. At this very moment JG may be on a beach in the Caribean sipping a cocktail. " Cuba? Hes an actor innee?

Sorry to drag this one up again, but Charlie Brooker last night on Newswipe had a lot of excellent observations on the whole Jade Goody media circus, (and that includes people who posted about it on message boards). Repeated tonight on BBC Four at eleven o'clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back