• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jaffa 'Cakes' & Biscuit Taxonomy

Are Jaffa Cakes Biscuits or Cakes?

• Biscuits

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Cakes

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
One always rather hoped that Jaffa cakes didn't have any spunk in them.
Ye couldnae make it up!

Neither is this... Son turns up last night and says, 'Brought some scran Dad, in case we get the munchies later'.

Included therein, amongst a variety of pies and sausage rolls, is this (photo just taken)...

1551438560144884.jpg

God you're making me pine for Jaffa cakes
Of course, following Brexit, they're to be banned. Or made compulsory. Or both

i distinctly remember it being coined in OFAH but it has since somehow entered the national lexicon as if its an old and organically generated expression

cf
  • "you plonker"
  • "Rodney" (as an adjective)
  • "Del Boy" (as an adjective)
Not forgetting Del's 'alternative French', many of which I have occasionally heard in jest as British English OFAH 'fractured franglais'
  • Pot Pourri - Del means: I don't believe it. ...Actual meaning: A dried fragrant plant
  • Au contraire - Del means: Hang on a minute Actual meaning: On the contrary
  • Bain marie - Del means: No problem Actual meaning: A piece of equipment used in science and cooking
  • Bonnet de douche - Del means: Excellent Actual meaning: Shower cap
  • Chateauneuf du Pape - Del means: It's all gone crazy. Actual meaning: A wine region in south eastern France
  • Creme de la Menthe - Del means: The very best. Actual meaning: A sweet mint flavoured alcoholic drink
  • Fromage Frais - Del means: The Eureka moment. Actual meaning: A fresh curd cheese
  • Mais oui - Del means: My pleasure. Actual meaning: Of course
  • Mange Tout - Del means: No problem. Actual meaning: A sugar pea

Just a wee bit of fun...

When would have said Jaffa Cakes were first invented!

I would have thought 1960s?

Your good selves?

You can find the answer online...

Here's another Jaffa (indeed):
Tealc-Stargate-Christopher-Judge-d.jpg

My vote for, 'Fortean post of the month'...

Um.. was that a hint ? OK, last search on the non-search engine : Monster Munch and Wotsits are standard-rated for VAT, but Skips and Twiglets are zero-rated (presumably as Twiglets are made out of twigs, not potato).

Um.. was that a hint ? OK, last search on the non-search engine : Monster Munch and Wotsits are standard-rated for VAT, but Skips and Twiglets are zero-rated (presumably as Twiglets are made out of twigs, not potato).
The thought being.. your post was definitively... the hell are we discussing Jaffa Cakes!

And now large marshmallows are VAT free!

A company has won a legal battle with the government to try to avoid paying VAT on its over-sized marshmallows.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) told sweet wholesaler Innovative Bites Ltd it owed £473,000 in tax. However the firm has won the right to challenge the huge bill by arguing its Mega Marshmallows are not confectionery so should not be liable for the 20% tax. A judge agreed and ruled the brand of mallows were ingredients not snacks.

VAT is payable on confectionery but products can be zero-rated if they are used for cooking. The Loughborough-based firm took a case to a first tier tax tribunal to argue the large marshmallows were in fact ingredients for S'mores - an American treat where roasted marshmallows are sandwiched between chocolate biscuits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-63157432

VAT is payable on confectionery but products can be zero-rated if they are used for cooking. The Loughborough-based firm took a case to a first tier tax tribunal to argue the large marshmallows were in fact ingredients for S'mores - an American treat where roasted marshmallows are sandwiched between chocolate biscuits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-63157432
But I always make a traybake from melted Cadbury eclairs (toffee) that always seem to be left over after Xmas + rice crispies and mini marshmallows. Them's ingredients.

Why is it left over though?
For some reason (possibly involving 1970's dental plates and fillings) the toffee penny was the only thing left in an Xmas tin of Quality Street by January. Ditto the eclairs in a tub of Cadbury Heroes - I collect these and once a year melt them in a pot with mini marshmallows and stir in any stale Rice Krispies still in my cupboard, spread it out on a tray and let it cool. Addictive.

This isn't bad in small doses, Jaffa Cake flavoured instant coffee. LIDLS supermarket stocks it in small jars, I've been sprinkling chocolate powder in with a couple of sweeteners plus powdered milk, it's not an every day coffee IMO but it makes a nice change and it's under two quid at LIDLS.

https://beaniesflavourco.co.uk/product/jaffa-cake-flavoured-coffee-1113778

I'm wondering what is used as the flavouring in a Jaffa Cake flavoured coffee ? You could alternatively just dunk a Jaffa Cake into a regular cup of coffee I suppose, but I wouldn't - Jaffas are for tea.

For some reason (possibly involving 1970's dental plates and fillings) the toffee penny was the only thing left in an Xmas tin of Quality Street by January. Ditto the eclairs in a tub of Cadbury Heroes - I collect these and once a year melt them in a pot with mini marshmallows and stir in any stale Rice Krispies still in my cupboard, spread it out on a tray and let it cool. Addictive.

OH!
I thought it was the traybake that was left over, not the eclairs, sorry, wrong end of the stick :rollingw:

I'm wondering what is used as the flavouring in a Jaffa Cake flavoured coffee ? You could alternatively just dunk a Jaffa Cake into a regular cup of coffee I suppose, but I wouldn't - Jaffas are for tea.
Probably an orange or tangerine syrup that has been freeze-dried into a powder (if that is possible).
Just my guess.

All the things that used to be orange-flavour are now called Jaffa cake flavour. Like people have forgotten what oranges are, but still have a good grasp of Jaffa cakes.
I have a good grasp of Jaffa Cakes. I can grab a handful!

Back