• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The stunt (without the whistle or equally annoying good ole boy) was copied - at the second attempt - by a programme that used to be on the telly a long time ago:

Was the stunt in the film done for real like that, or was there a bit of trickery involved?
The scene in the Bond film looks too clean and perfect to be a real stunt.

Pretty sure I read that it was for real, and notable for being one of the most tricky stunts ever committed to film.

Incidentally, Heckler, is that the stunt you were thinking of - were you, like me, getting the 2 films conflated somehow? I can't recall a specific car stunt that stands out in Live and Let Die.

Pretty sure I read that it was for real, and notable for being one of the most tricky stunts ever committed to film.

Incidentally, Heckler, is that the stunt you were thinking of - were you, like me, getting the 2 films conflated somehow? I can't recall a specific car stunt that stands out in Live and Let Die.

People are probably getting confused with the speed boat over the road with the sheriff underneath stunt from Live and Let Die .. the car stunt was for real, I remember watching some old behind the scenes footage about all the preparation for it, the fake bridge ramp was a lot more sophisticated than the Top Gear recreated ramp ..

edit: .. this is the closest I can find to the behind the scenes stuff but shows the stunt ...

On the subject of The Man With the Golden Gun, here's an alternative theme song by Alice Cooper

I much prefer this to Lulu's squawking and screeching. But then I've had diseases that were preferable to Lulu's singing :)

Bond in the 70s tended to be following trends, whereas in the 60s it was setting them. Therefore Live and Let Die was the Blaxploitation movie, which means you get Roger Moore called a honky by Yaphet Kotto. Moonraker was the Star Wars reaction, and though there was a time I found it too silly, after reading a spirited defence of it online once I've come around to it. It's still silly, but it is maybe my favourite of the 70s, aside from The Spy Who Loved Me (the music's great). The Man with the Golden Gun was the only real dud out of the decade, mind you.

Yeah, they should have gone full Kung Fu with Man With the Golden Gun rather than just playing around with it - that was the height of the Shaw Brothers era and just after Enter The Dragon went huge. At least it had a midget in it. And Christopher Lee.

You can't imagine Sir Rog bustin' out the kung fu moves to any great effect, though. He just wasn't convincing in that area, so you can see why the Bruce Lee business was so halfhearted in the movie.

Is it true though that the spiral car stunt over the river was only ever done once - I think they tried to recreate it in an episode of Top Gear.

Not Bonds best film outing in my opinion.

Oops yes, it was the Sheriff character in both that threw me.

James Bond: why doctors say he should be dead
James Bond has cheated death for more than 50 years but doctors say Skyfall should have killed him off in seven minutes
By Anita Singh, Arts and Entertainment Editor
6:15AM BST 08 Apr 2015

As the world’s suavest secret agent, James Bond has survived 23 films while barely breaking a sweat.
Witness Skyfall, the most recent 007 outing, in which Daniel Craig’s only concern after jumping from a digger on to a moving train was to readjust his shirt cuffs. :p

If Bond’s adventures were true to life, however, he would have lasted seven minutes into that film before meeting his death.
A panel of medical professionals has concluded, unsurprisingly, that action films are not very true to life.
In the case of Skyfall, the moment Bond is shot with a depleted uranium shell seven minutes in “would have turned his lungs inside out and killed him”.
Even if he had survived that, the uranium shell fragments “would greatly increase his cancer risk”. And the rest of the film does not treat him kindly. Removing a bullet from his shoulder in a spot of DIY surgery “risks blood loss, lack of consciousness, nerve and muscle damage and the infection risk is huge”.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...s-Bond-why-doctors-say-he-should-be-dead.html

Lots of pics.
But shouldn't these doctors be doing something useful, like, er, treating patients? :confused:

Even if he had survived that, the uranium shell fragments “would greatly increase his cancer risk”. And the rest of the film does not treat him kindly. Removing a bullet from his shoulder in a spot of DIY surgery “risks blood loss, lack of consciousness, nerve and muscle damage and the infection risk is huge”.
I remember thinking exactly this when I saw this film.
Depleted Uranium is no joke. Bond would be in poor health if still alive.

If the exposure to the naked plutonium pile in The World Is Not Enough didn't kill him, or at least give him radiation sickness, I don't think a little depleted uranium is going to hurt him.

Then again, my main complaint with The Peacemaker was that the main characters weren't suffering radiation sickness at the end. They stopped a chain reaction, but still would have inhaled a heap of radioactive dust.

If the exposure to the naked plutonium pile in The World Is Not Enough didn't kill him, or at least give him radiation sickness, I don't think a little depleted uranium is going to hurt him.

Then again, my main complaint with The Peacemaker was that the main characters weren't suffering radiation sickness at the end. They stopped a chain reaction, but still would have inhaled a heap of radioactive dust.

Considering the amount of booze and nicotine he's consumed and the copious amounts of casual sex, I think radiation poisoning is the least of his worries.

Considering the amount of booze and nicotine he's consumed and the copious amounts of casual sex, I think radiation poisoning is the least of his worries.

I think post traumatic stress disorder would also feature highly for commander Bond unless he is a true sociopath .. probably explains all the drinking and risk taking.

You know, I'm beginning to think James Bond isn't real.

Hmm, nobody's ever said the James Bond name line quite with that emphasis before...

There's currently a DB9 (with a DB9 private plate that probably cost more than our house alone) parked at Cromer's gangway slope .. with walnut interior .. and a blue asthma inhaler inside .. I felt like ....

There's currently a DB9 (with a DB9 private plate that probably cost more than our house alone) parked at Cromer's gangway slope .. with walnut interior .. and a blue asthma inhaler inside .. I felt like ....
...like what...?

James Bond Seabee for sale at Devon Auction

Or more precisely, it's probably just one of the Seabees seen in Man with the Golden Gun. (IIRC, the plane only features briefly, so I'm surprised they needed more than one when filming.) Shocking grammar aside, you'll be relieved to learn:
Contrary to belief, it was actually miniature that was blown to smithereens upon arrival at the lair bad-guy Scaramanga, played Sir Christopher Lee, and not a fully working Seabee.
Miniatures, hey? Next they'll be telling me that Scaramanga's blingy gun wasn't actually a real firearm.

Now it's being reported Damian Lewis will be the next James Bond. Good choice, but let Daniel Craig finish his tenure first! Honestly, this constant looking forward to the next new thing before we've even had the current one is getting out of hand.

Damian Lewis...not my first choice.
I'd have thought Gerard Butler...

It's high time a woman played Bond... Su Pollard, I'm thinking.

Back