• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The OH has decided that the only person she wants to play Bond is the bloke from Poldark.

The OH has decided that the only person she wants to play Bond is the bloke from Poldark.
Yes he has the dark and potentially cruel features of a traditional Bond - but it looks like his schedule is fairly full atm!

And how about a bloke to play M for a change...?

Yes he has the dark and potentially cruel features of a traditional Bond - but it looks like his schedule is fairly full atm!

And how about a bloke to play M for a change...?

Looking at some pics of him, he does bear a resemblance to Timothy Dalton.

M is a bloke again, Ralph Feinnes has that job now.

Britain's biggest bookmaker, William Hill, have shortened the odds on Aidan Turner becoming the next James Bond for the second day in a row, from 33/1 to 10/1.

William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said. 'Poldark is making Darcy look like a dandy. We believe Aidan can write his own ticket after this,'
Music News reports the William Hill odds for the next James Bond as: 2/1 Idris Elba, 9/2 Tom Hardy, 6/1 Henry Cavill, 13/2 Michael Fassbender, 8/1 Jamie Dornan, 10/1 Aidan Turner, 10/1 Orlando Bloom, 10/1 Richard Armitage, 14/1 Dan Stevens, 16/1 Daniel Day-Lewis, 16/1 Gerard Butler, 16/1 James McAvoy, 20/1 Tom Hiddlestone, 25/1 Damian Lewis, 25/1 Sam Worthington, 33/1

http://www.poldarked.com/2015/03/odds-shortening-on-aidan-turner-for.html

I'm sure I can remember Barry Norman on 'Film (whatever year)' talking about who was going to be Bond after Timothy Dalton. He had his money on Hugh Grant.

I might be in a minority on this one but that was one boring trailer .. to steal someone else's quote on this footage, he looked like James Bond the Angry Accountant .. and I was brought up on Bond films .. I'll wait and see.

Radio 4 aired Diamonds Are Forever at the weekend. It's a Martin Jarvis production based on the actual Fleming novel rather than film adaptations that play fast and loose with the original content. It's available as a download I believe.

A couple of new shows on BBC4 tonight -

Premium Bond with Mark Gatiss and Matthew Sweet
Mark Gatiss and Matthew Sweet ponder the Bonds we've seen on screen since Dr No in 1962.

In impeccable evening dress, Mark Gatiss and Matthew Sweet ponder the Bonds we've seen on screen since Dr No in 1962. With the release of the 24th official James Bond film, Spectre, we ask - which 007 is the best? To date, six actors have portrayed British Secret Service agent James Bond. Was Sean Connery impossible to surpass? Was George Lazenby really that bad? Was Live and Let Die really a blaxploitation movie in disguise? Gatiss and Sweet consider these and many other questions, and raise a martini in honour of their premium Bond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02sx893

Timeshift
Looking for Mr Bond: 007 at the BBC

After more than 60 years tracking James Bond in print and on screen, the BBC opens up its vaults to reveal the forgotten files on the world's most famous secret agent. Featuring rare and candid interviews with all six actors to play 007, and exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, this is James Bond unguarded, unrestricted and unseen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06l0v9d

I might be in a minority on this one but that was one boring trailer .. to steal someone else's quote on this footage, he looked like James Bond the Angry Accountant .. and I was brought up on Bond films .. I'll wait and see.

I'm with you there, Swifty. I've been looking forward to this and now, seeing the whole trailer again, it seems kind of flat. Just more cars, helicopters, Daniel Craig pouting and a zip being undone.

I liked it when he smirked at the corgis.

The Englishman and the Octopus

If you’ve seen Spectre, it should already be obvious to you that the James Bond franchise is a spinoff, taking place entirely within HP Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos.

Say 007 arrives at Mexico City Airport at four in the afternoon. He goes through customs. He takes a taxi to his blankly intercontinental chain hotel. He makes himself a slapdash vodka martini from the little bottles in the minibar, pouring the entire stub of vodka and a passionless vermouth glug into one of the film-wrapped plastic cups from the bathroom, and drinks it on his balcony. He looks out at Mexico City, and somethinglooks back. The Cthulhu mythos only works if its characters don’t realise that they’re in it. When done right, Cthulhu stories don’t need to actually portray the Great Old Ones; they can lurk in the deconstructive background, appearing as a hollowness in the mise-en-scène, a spacing and a vastness suspended just beyond sight. Another recent film about Anglo imperialists in Latin America, this year’s Sicario, was an example of what could be called ‘landscape horror’, fine-tuned to Yanqui racism: long panning shots of barren or broken landscapes, the blasphemous edge between lawnmower-perfect American suburbia and the desert beyond, or Mexican cities that seem to sprawl without reason over the hills and valleys, protoplasmic shoggoth-blots poised to gobble up the border. This isn’t the ordinary Burkean sublime, but something far stranger. Ciudad Juárez is ‘the Beast’; the scarred and hollowed-out Earth is itself a cosmic evil. Bond on his balcony faces a city that does not end, from horizon to horizon. Where are the goons? Usually this is when some gormless lunks try to jump him, and from there it’s only a short kidnapping to the supervillain’s lair, where someone will tell him everything he needs to know, saving him the trouble of doing any detective work. Instead, there’s CNN, complimentary soap, and blithe miles of homes and highways. It’s hard not to feel lonely. It’s hard not to feel afraid. He’s in Lovecraft territory; those trillion-tentacled monsters from outer space that intrude upon stately New Englanders were always a barely concealed metaphor for one man’s horror of black and brown bodies in their nameless shoals, leaking degradation over a world fissuring from imperial decline. But over and above that, they stand for a universe that is not required to make sense.

https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/the-englishman-and-the-octopus/

It's not really James-Bondy is it?

I can't stand Radiohead but at least they're not as miserable sounding as Sam Smith.

Another proposed Bond theme. It would have worked...if Bond was played by John Wayne and SPECTRE were Apaches

Are we noticing the British spy tv programme trailers currently running on UK tv, wherein (allegedly) real MI5/MI6 agents demythologise the whole James Bond fiction genre? I've only seen a few seconds' worth of content, but I'm smitten (when's it on, or have I missed it?)

Of particular noteworth were : "real spies hate all gadgets- they just go wrong all the time"

And on 007: "James Bond- he must've been the worst spy ever- how come the baddies were always expecting him??"

A bit of hardcore rave OO7 .. :cool:

... the Bond themes start at 1:10, 4:25 & 8:05

Last edited:
Back