• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ok, if 90% of films lose money, why do film maker bother?

Some are propped up by the ones that do. Also, Hollywood accounting is notoriously corrupt and opaque, they make films look like they have lost money in order to avoid tax and pay outs to actors and other staff. David Prowse received a letter every year until he died telling him that Return of the Jedi was still not in profit and so he had earned nothing on the back end.

Anyway...explain this film to me.

...A planet is run by a Tree...the whole artificial system including the unsuspiciously laid back sentients...Then humans arrive. They are aliens and dont fit the regime...have to be eliminated. But they have the ability of spaceflight...which the blue hippies do not.
In this next film, humans are integrated into the system in order so the Tree can spread to other planets...

Did I grok that?

Anyway...explain this film to me.

...A planet is run by a Tree...the whole artificial system including the unsuspiciously laid back sentients...Then humans arrive. They are aliens and dont fit the regime...have to be eliminated. But they have the ability of spaceflight...which the blue hippies do not.
In this next film, humans are integrated into the system in order so the Tree can spread to other planets...

Did I grok that?

I don't know where you got the bit about the tree spreading to other planets. It looks like the sides are now "mixed" from the trailer, humans with the Na'vi and vice versa.

Na`vi have no spaceflight and so are a dead end.

Humans have spaceflight and so are full of new possibilities.

So the Tree has to cultivate them if it wants to spread beyond its world.

Um, is that in the trailer? At all?

My guess would be that the humans are just using Na'Vi avatars for some of their military people now. After all they're 10 foot tall, super fast and strong, and fangs and all that.... sci-fi trope of super soldiers basically.

I thought it was a really expansive movie but not memorable ...the 1st one I mean.

Well who's going to be the first of us Forteana forumists to see the Avatar sequel and post a review?

Not me. The first one was undeniably pretty to look at, but it felt as if l was being given a good finger-wagging scolding for two hours. Recent pronouncements from James Cameron don’t encourage me to believe that Episode 2 will be any different.

l go to the flicks to be entertained, not lectured.

maximus otter

I also think that the first one was such a new experience that people overlooked the rather boring Pocahontas story. Now that we are all used to 3D and amazing animation, will this one be as special? Or even any good at all?

I also think that the first one was such a new experience that people overlooked the rather boring Pocahontas story. Now that we are all used to 3D and amazing animation, will this one be as special? Or even any good at all?

3D seems to have fallen out of fashion.
Avatar was certainly spectacular in 3D at the cinema - and so was The Hobbit, Gravity, The Martian etc.
I even bought a 3D TV and started a collection of 3D Blu-Rays - although the effect was never as impressive on a 49" screen than at the cinema.
Now though Sky has even discontinued its 3D channel and few blockbusters seem to be released in 3D.
I'll probably watch Avatar: The Way of Water as soon as it becomes available on one of the streaming services.

Disliked the first one, crappy plot and unimaginitive aliens.

Aliens used to be blobs or bipeds because they were a guy in a suit. In the navy Na'vi we've just got ten foot tall, blue, plug in Iroquois. With pointy ears. Why does everything from Spock through Elves and Hobbits and Na'vi have pointy ears?

There is plenty of good SF out there with better plots, better alien worlds and better aliens that would still allow for awesome special effects. Buy the rights to some Larry Niven, Fred Pohl, Poul Anderson, A.E. Van Vogt or E.F.Russel (often humanoid but the Martians in "Men, Martians and Machines" were fun)

Just got back from watching Avatar: la voie de l'eau in a French cinema.
Incredibly spectacular, but a pretty simplistic story, which is an unashamed close retread of the original movie.
The 3D felt fairly restrained, featuring only the occasional projection effect, with the underwater scenes in particular feeling natural and immersive.
Be aware that, at 3 hours 15 minutes, with no interval, it is something of an endurance test. After two hours, I was struck by restless legs and the bridge of my nose was complaining because of the weight of the 3D specs. This movie employs the heavy, shuttered, active 3D glasses, rather than the lighter, polarised, passive ones. When I moved the glasses away to give my eyes a rub, I did notice a slight strobing effect, which wasn't particularly pleasant.
To summarise, Avatar 2 contains plenty of astonishing eye-candy, presented in quite possibly the best cinematic 3D experience to date and I certainly felt that I'd got my money's worth from the €10 ticket. The plot and dialogue are never really raised above a facile comic-strip level though.
10/10 for special effects. 5/10 for the story.

Made a billion and STILL not in the Black?

(Also seems an odd lot of not exactly stellar reviews....??)

Don't know whether it's true of this film or not but I always get annoyed by the sequences that are clearly designed to become part of a future computer game based on the movie. Leaping onto platforms, dodging incoming objects, deflecting incoming bullets/arrows, shooting improbable numbers of baddies. etc.

Avatar: The Way of Water: Finally got to see it and it;s not bad at all. OK: it's long but it doesn't drag, I admit though some long scenes of the youngsters, running through the forests, swimming, having fun etc could have been cut,maybe 30 minutes worth. But I liked these self indulgences by Cameron. It's 16 years after the first film, (Navi) Sully and Neytiri now have a family of hybrid Navi-Human children and also raise Colonel Quaritch's son Spider as their own. But the Corporation comes back. burning forests, building Bridgehead City. The world is to be despoiled once more. Sully leads guerilla attacks.. Great battle scenes as a maglev train is derailed. aerial battles. The Earthlings have an ace up their sleeve though, Quarritch is literally back from the dead with other marines, Recombinants—Na'vi avatars implanted with deceased human soldiers' memories, Eventually Sully and family have to flee to islands in the oceans, where a different type of Navi live, using what can best be described as giant flying garfish to fly around on, We encounter sentient whales and Rarth whalers as the revenant colonel pursues his vendetta against Sully. Wonderfully imagined fauna and flora which form a symbiosis with Navi and hybrid Navi. Enough action (despite the longeurs) to hold your interest. Directed, co-written and produced by James Cameron. 8/10.

In cinemas.

Back