• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot :).

I only caught the 2D version, though no2 son saw it later on in 3D, and he says that the 3D effects aren't overdone, being used to create depth and perspective rather than repeatedly poking your eye out.

I have to say even in 2D it's terrific. Whatever the format, I'd say go and see it on the big screen. It's one of the few films I've seen where you get an immediate sense of just how much impact you'll lose on a small screen. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be immensely watchable at home, but do yourself the favour of a trip to the flicks first.

It's worth every penny.

I saw the 3-D version, yestery, looks superb, though the plot's, nothing new, Dances with Wolves, vs the space Marines from Aliens, with an eco-friendly message, bits of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders, and a lot of other SF that you've seen before, and the unobtanium in-joke, still excellent entertaiment.

The 3-D effects are used more for depth and perspective, the floating mountains and the flying reptiles look amazing.

The Na'vi aren't quite photo-realistic but so close that most of the time you don't register that they're sophisticated animation.

As Stuneville says, one you should see on the big screen.

Will probably go see, would be rude not to, but I can't help feel the alien cat people are going to put me off.

I have preconceptions that this is going to be one of what I call those 'Empire's New Clothes' films, whereby no matter how average it may turn out to be the film mags and critics will beat off over it relentlessly.

This movie has been so relentlessly and clumsily advertized over here that, although we would normally have been okay with going to see it, my husband and I have sworn off of it.

Worst offender: the series Bones, which is one of those shows I keep watching without knowing quite why I like it, had an episode in which three of the secondary characters geeked out over it and took turns holding space in line for a ticket. Presumably this show and the movie are connected at some corporate admin level. Very rude and off-putting.

I know I'm off the bean curve in how I react to advertizing, but it's hard to believe I'm so far off of it that stunts like that, and the custom of buying half the commercial slots on a network so that the product is hyped every single commercial break, attract more people than they drive away.

PeniG said:
I know I'm off the bean curve in how I react to advertizing, but it's hard to believe I'm so far off of it that stunts like that, and the custom of buying half the commercial slots on a network so that the product is hyped every single commercial break, attract more people than they drive away.

I think there's a lot of people off the bean curve in that way. The instance you mention does sound particularly crass! Luckily I've not had the TV on much lately so I haven't been over-whelmed, but I'd better go see it before Christmas at the folk's house...

PeniG said:
Worst offender: the series Bones, which is one of those shows I keep watching without knowing quite why I like it, had an episode in which three of the secondary characters geeked out over it and took turns holding space in line for a ticket. Presumably this show and the movie are connected at some corporate admin level. Very rude and off-putting.

I caught a bit of that episode and assumed it was an in-joke as Joel Moore who plays Colin Fisher in Bones also has a large role in Avatar.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0601376/

It would have been an in-joke if somebody else had been geeking out over scoring tickets and Colin had been all down on it. As it was, the whole experience of being in line was the B plot for the show. And, okay, they managed to do some funny character stuff there - but nothing they couldn't have done without hinging it on a commercial.

So, without spoilers, whom so ever may have seen it, is it a sort of Titanic, for 'Furries'?

:twisted:

It's Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas in Space....with badass marines...

Hmmm, I never thought of the furry aspect - they're going to love this.

Being as totally out of the loop as I am, I hadn't really registered this movie, and when I did see the trailer thought it looked just like some other shit blockbuster. But having heard further about it, I may actually go to see it...

I hadn't thought about the Furries angle either...thank you for putting that image into my head....

(BTW is it still OK to laugh at Furries)

I saw it last weekend (2-D). Worth a look, just for the special effects. They really let their imaginations run wild with the plant life-just beautiful! The plot, as mentioned above, is nothing new-the bad guys are over the top bad & the good guys are of course completely holy & innocent, but I'm still glad I went to see it...

Great technical achievement, storyline was just Dances With Wolves in space. Even the special effects weren't anymore groundbreaking than anything else WETA and ILM have done in the last few years. I'm assuming the 3D aspect was what was supposed to be so mindblowing (I saw it in 2D).

Saw it in 3D today. It was spectacular. Ideologically as insipid as one would expect from the Lightstorm stable, but this is 21st century 3D in all its glory. Don't see it for the in-depth analysis afterward. Go for the out-and-out kick of the visual magnificence. It was well worth the extra bux. See it in the best theatre with the best seats. Looooooong movie.

It sounds biggy doubleplus lame.

A film should be enjoyable on a laptop hidden under the bedsheets, IMHO

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.

More at
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

Pity Cameron didn't give British artist Roger Dean a full credit for all the inspiration he lifted directly from his paintings.

Brian

Forgot to post my thoughts earlier, which were:

It was fun to look at, but ultimately a bad film because I didn't actually care what happened to any of the characters. Really. It would have been equally satisfying to have seen the 3D smurfs with 2D characters eradicated.

The blue hippies were obviously supposed to be the goodies for whom I could cheer, but they only really took this role by default, what with their liking nature and not being the 2D cartoon baddies. As for their internet-esque-Iraqi-freedom-fighting-Native-American-environmental-mish-mash of religion and pseudo-philosophy, well, it was almost as if there was a lengthy explanation for it all in someone's mind, but it had been mostly left on the cutting room floor.

Fun to watch, once. (edit: like the Phantom Menace!)

dy24g1.jpg

Here's a photo of James Cameron accepting his Golden Globe Award for Best Original Concept.

Brian

Kondoru said:
It sounds biggy doubleplus lame.

A film should be enjoyable on a laptop hidden under the bedsheets, IMHO

Quite.

Take away the flashy 3D CGI and what do you have? Nothing. Cameron needs to go to writing school or, better still, leave that part of the process to someone else.

TangletwigsDeux said:
All I could think while watching this was Papa Smurf must be a turning in his grave ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk2vR8w2sjc

Oh and hang in there for the gratuitous clevage shot.

In the film it's more like numerous shots. And various 'nipple slips'. Not that I was looking for them of course, but when you have this large blue alien on a huge screen in front of you, well, you can't help but notice such things. :)

Hahahahahahaha!

Its a mickey-take of all those people who actually do this type of thing but its very funny! :D

I have great difficultly in bellieving that that's not a spoof from the Onion or Saturday Night Live :lol:

Altres, you have some truly remarkable water polo players on your planet.

I, for one, am morally against hammocks.

Back