• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How long before questions are asked in Parliament about the dangers of 3D fillums?

People must drop dead during and after all sorts of films, it's really a non-news story, or an urban legend in the making...

I heard its a filum in which the main merit, is counting the accidental nipple shots.

Since they're computer generated, they're not accidental...

OMG, you dont say?

I think I need a cold shower.

The Drules were never this bad!

...oh Urban Myth in the making for sure, notice how this death is described as the "first death linked to Avatar", as if there will eventually be more(we can only hope).

"A 42-year-old man has died. This is because he has a history of high blood pressure and suffered a stroke after watching the film Avatar. The man also suffered from hypertension and his brain was hemorrhaging.

The over-excitement from the movie likely triggered his symptoms. The man died 11 days after his brain hemorrhage. It has been said that this is the first death linked to watching Avatar.

Viewers of Avatar have complained on blogs about headaches, dizziness, nausea, and blurry eyesight from watching the film and other 3D movies."

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=82532

By chance, this snippet turned up this morning:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/kmyf.htm
Turns of Phrase: Neurocinematics
-------------------------------------------------------------------
In essence, this is the study of the way watching films affects the
human mind. The term was invented in a paper by Uri Hasson in 2008,
which showed that some films exert considerable control over brain
activity and eye movements but that this depended - as one would
expect - on their content, editing, and directing style. The paper
suggested that this work, using magnetic resonance imaging, could
lead to a fusion between film studies and cognitive neuroscience
and suggested "neurocinematics" as the name for it.

In February 2010, research by Professor James Cutting and his team
at Cornell University was widely reported. They measured the length
of every shot in 150 high-grossing Hollywood films released between
1935 and 2005. The more recent the film, the more likely it is that
the pattern of duration of shots matches the attention span of its
audience. This pattern, known as the 1/f rule or "pink noise" rule,
had been deduced in earlier studies of volunteers working on tasks.
It seems that, through experience, film editors have intuited the
formula.

The term has appeared a number of times online but only rarely in
print. As yet, it's a niche formation and may not survive
Does this mean a film director could be prosecuted for homicide..? :shock:

Nope, its not a good filum unless it triggere epliptic attacks.

Hopefully in people who have no history of them.

Watched it 3D last night, worth seeing for the visual spectacle. The story is predictable, but if viewed purely as a framework to hang the visual effects on it works a treat.

And the visuals are amazing, without a doubt. Absolutely beautiful in places, in fact. And that's the only reason I went to see it.

Although the big scrap at the end is like, awesome dude.

James Cameron sued over Avatar screenplay
American judge orders director James Cameron to hand over drafts of the screenplay of hit film Avatar.
9:02AM GMT 24 Jan 2013

A US judge ordered director James Cameron to hand over drafts of the screenplay for Avatar to lawyers for a man claiming he wrote the script on which the 3D blockbuster was based.

Eric Ryder is seeking compensation from Cameron and his production company Lightstorm Entertainment, claiming that the 2009 Oscar-nominated film is based on a story he wrote called "K.R.Z. 2068."
He filed a lawsuit in December 2011, saying he spent two years developing the story. Yesterday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Alan Rosenfield ordered Cameron's lawyers to turn over screenplay drafts.
"We have to be careful and sensitive about ideas and information," said the judge.

But he denied a request by Ryder's lawyers to grant access to the personal calendars of Cameron and Jon Landau, the chief operating officer of Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment Inc.

Ryder's lawyer K. Andrew Kent said his legal team will also get access to backup tapes from computers used by Cameron.

"Avatar," about a paraplegic US marine with split loyalties after being sent to a distant world wanted for its mining potential, was seen as a breakthrough in the use of 3D technology, and has grossed more than £2billion worldwide

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... nplay.html

Hmmmm...

James Cameron Making Four ‘Avatar’ Sequels
James Cameron will make four “Avatar” sequels, promising that the films will start hitting theaters in 2018.

The creator of the original “Avatar,” the 2009 fantasy epic that remains the all-time worldwide box office champion, said that his vision for a followup has expanded over time.

He first envisioned two sequels. But after meeting with a team of four screenwriters and a group of “some of the top artists and designers in the world,” he realized that he had way too much material for just two films. He initially decided on three sequels, then jumped to four.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/james-cameron-avatar-1201753774/

I really found the first film underwhelming and didn't see much scope even for one sequel.

What a waste of his twilight years.

I'm sure he is being adequately remunerated.

I hope not, being remunerated sounds unpleasant.

I'm all for it .. it would brighten up my day to walk through some woods with a load of people dressed as blue Navi people running about .. we used to just call it 'dressing up' at junior school in the 70's but fair play ..

.. some LARP racism btw:

There is so much better science fiction that would still require CGI, that could be made (Niven's Known Space: Saberhagen's Berserkers: Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic league, Gregory Benford's Galactic Centre, etc. etc.) but we're going to get endless remakes of what was essentially a story about European exploitation of North Western Native American society.

There is so much better science fiction that would still require CGI, that could be made (Niven's Known Space: Saberhagen's Berserkers: Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic league, Gregory Benford's Galactic Centre, etc. etc.) but we're going to get endless remakes of what was essentially a story about European exploitation of North Western Native American society.

90% of all films lose money.

When, through skill and/or luck, you make a product that earns money, you milk that franchise until the udders squeak.

maximus otter

"No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. ...... " H.L Menken - From quote investigator

But I'm sure you're right maximus otter. However I now have an image of a blue CGI teat being milked until it squeaks. :yuck:

281103193_5035081846581639_4960056131491214026_n.jpg

Back