• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Japanee Cabbies Pick Up 'Ghost Passengers' In Area Devastated By 2011 Tsunami

paranoid420

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This was trending on the Facebook feed today so I assume its new

Horrified cabbies pick up 'GHOST PASSENGERS' in area devastated by 2011 Japan tsunami

At least seven taxi drivers in Ishinomaki, north-east Japan, have reported experiencing a 'phantom fare' in the wake of the devastating 2011 tsunami and earthquake.

In each instance, the story is similar.

A taxi driver in north-east Japan picks up a passenger in an area devastated by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

He starts the meter and asks for the destination, to which the customer gives a strange response.

Either then, or sometime later, the driver turns around to address the man or woman - but the passenger has vanished.

This is because, it is claimed, it was a 'ghost passenger' who was, in fact, killed in the disaster five years ago.

At least seven taxi drivers in Ishinomaki have reported such an experience of a 'phantom fare', according to The Asahi Shimbun newspaper.
The coastal town in Miyagi Prefecture was among the regions most seriously affected by the deadly tsunami, which killed nearly 16,000 people in total.

More than 3,000 Ishinomaki residents lost their lives in the tragedy, including 70 students and nine staff members at Ishinomaki Okawa Elementary School.

Speaking to Yuka Kudo, a student of sociology at Tohoku Gakuin University, one taxi driver told of how he may have seen one of these residents just months after the March 2011 earthquake.

He said he was working in the town when a young woman dressed in a coat climbed into his cab near Ishinomaki Station and told him: “Please go to the Minamihama (district).”

In response, he told her that the area was 'almost empty' and asked her if she was sure she wished to go there.

The woman replied in a trembling voice, "Have I died?".

Chillingly, the driver said he then turned around in his seat - but no one was there.

Another cabbie, in his forties, spoke of a similar experience.

He said a young man climbed into his taxi and asked to go to “Hiyoriyama" (mountain).

The customer would not elaborate on his response, but pointed in the direction he wished to go in, he said.

The driver set off, but when he eventually pulled over, he realised the passenger had disappeared, the newspaper reports.

Con't at http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...d-by-2011-japan-tsunami/ar-BBp6dI3?ocid=fbmsn

Could be a new urban legend generated in the land of the not quite right. Either that or waking halucinations due to the stress of the event + ordinary people seeking meaning to such a monstrous loss of life and land. PTSD would be the order of the day across that province for sure.

Sounds like "Friend of a Friend" or Urban Legend tales. You never get the story directly from the person who experienced it.

Taxi drivers see 'ghosts' after tsunami
Jenn Gidman, Newser11:05 a.m. EST February 5, 2016

(NEWSER) – When a Japanese college student started corresponding with taxi drivers in Ishinomakiin Miyagi prefecture for her senior sociology thesis, some became irritated, while others pretended they didn't hear her, Asahi Shimbun reports. But seven out of 100 drivers actually answered Yuka Kudo's odd question — "Did you have any unusual experiences after the [2011 tsunami] disaster" — with responses that were both eerie and oddly similar. They all reported experiences with "ghost passengers," riders they say entered their cabs after the tsunami that killed nearly 16,000, then disappeared before the ride was over. One driver, for example, recounted a woman who got into his cab asking, "Have I died" and was gone before they reached her destination, while another tells the tale of a man who asked the driver to take him to a mountain before he vanished.

The supposed riders involved in the account — which the San Francisco Chronicle compares to the "phantom hitchhiker" urban legend — were generally young people, and Kudo has a theory about that. "Young people feel strongly chagrined [at their deaths] when they cannot meet people they love," she tells Asahi Shimbun. "As they want to convey their bitterness, they may have chosen taxis, which are like private rooms, as a medium to do so." But the drivers don't seem overly spooked by the incidents. "It is not strange to see a ghost [here]," one driver says. "If I encounter a ghost again, I will accept it as my passenger." Japanese taxi drivers start the meter as soon as a passenger gets in, and these drivers all reportedly ended up paying the unpaid fares for their mysterious riders. ("Ghost ships" with corpses were showing up near Japan recently.)

This article originally appeared on Newser

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/02/05/taxi-drivers-see-ghosts-after-tsunami/79871530/

This is a brilliant story. It has within it the rich tradition of oriental ghost stories as well as elements of The Vanishing Hitchhiker - origins of which date back to ancient China when ghosts were said to occasionally join the trading caravans along trading routes before mysteriously vanishing. Whether the student skewed the questions to get this angle knowing the folklore tradition would be interesting to find out.

This is a lovely detail.
Japanese taxi drivers start the meter as soon as a passenger gets in, and these drivers all reportedly ended up paying the unpaid fares for their mysterious riders.
The ghosts are having a measurable financial effect on the real world.

(or perhaps this is some sort of cover story for customers who don't pay their fare, for whatever reason.)

Or cabbies who want a break from picking up passengers and let the meter run alone for a while instead.

Got blimey you'd never believe who I had in the back of me cab last week; ghost of bleedin' Greta Garbo it were. Then the next bloody day, stone the crows, bollocks if it wasn't the shade of Napoleon his-bloody-self!

It'll be bloody Anna Magnani next...

Let's hope some of them have cameras installed.

There were similar reports following the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, in that phantom fares were scaring local taxi drivers.

Back