• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jedi Religion

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
At University, back in good ole '99, there was a buzz about registeríng to vote. A leaflet did the rounds saying that if enough peole put jedi as their religion, then it would become a recognised religion in the UK?

Does this do the rounds every year? Is it even true, if a large enough percentage say jedi, does it become recognised? If so, I'm no longer C of E. :D

This was in the National Census rather than Electoral Register, which I do not believe asks for religion.

At the time the Census was carried out, there was an internet campaign that encouraged people to answer the religion question "Jedi Knight". The number of people who stated Jedi was 390,000 (0.7 per cent of the population).

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001 ... nicity.asp

IIRC it was stated at the time that a religion would not qualify as such simply because a number of people claimed to belong to it.

BTW Sixteen percent of Londoners are going straight to hell as they have no religion :evil:

ISTR that they said that for something to be a religion it requires both a certain number of people claiming to belong to it, *and* a set of beliefs/practices.

I lied about my ethnicity and religion on general principle. If the state orders you to do something and not complying hurts noone, I find it best not to do it.

lutzman said:
BTW Sixteen percent of Londoners are going straight to hell as they have no religion :evil:

Oh. I know my maths was bad. I thought it meant that 16% of each Londoner went to Hell. That'd be my feet then since they're regularly painful and somewhat whiffy.

fluffle said:
ISTR that they said that for something to be a religion it requires both a certain number of people claiming to belong to it, *and* a set of beliefs/practices.
That's easy. Jedi-followers believe that George Lucas is worthy of Godhood, that Star Wars is an all-time classic, not only of science fiction but of every genre. Their practices include quoting swathes of COD mystic sayings from the film and collecting toys modelled on characters of the film.
So it is a religion.

Apparently the chap who runs one of the Fancy dress shops here calls himself a ' Jedi ' believing in its coda, ( whatever it is )

The drive to believe in something - anything - is a constant wonder.

Stormkhan said:
That's easy. Jedi-followers believe that George Lucas is worthy of Godhood, that Star Wars is an all-time classic, not only of science fiction but of every genre. Their practices include quoting swathes of COD mystic sayings from the film and collecting toys modelled on characters of the film.
So it is a religion.

I find your lack of faith disturbing :D

Hmmm. To me your doubts of my powers nothing. Hmmm. When The Muppets ended, my rebirth assured by shaving my body it was. My old name was Fozzie Bear, hmmmmm.

Hawaya? Hawaya? Hawaya!

Seperated at birth?

Gonzo

salaciouscrumb.jpg

Salacious Crumb

gonzo.jpg

I'm sure I remember reading an article about christian star wars fans who wanted to bring their children up with 'Jedi values'.

If L. Ron Hubbard can start a religion then I don't see any reason why Jedi(ism?) couldn't be one too.

I put Jedi down

I personally put Jedi down as my religion on the last census form because:
A) I don't actually have a religion, although I believe in most of the catholic stuff I disagree on a few things so am not a catholic but simply saying Christian doesn't work and there is no generic name for someone who believes in God Christ etc but never goes to church.
B) It felt like a cool thing to be part of a worldwide movement, and it was a worldwide thing, not just a press idea of cool.
C) I was having a bad day when I filled in the form.
D) I have always liked the original trilogy anyway.
E) Did I mention I was really bored that day.

Force of Jedi church proves too much for brother
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wale ... 401610.stm

One of the brothers no longer wants to be recognised
One of two brothers who set up a Jedi church on Anglesey is stepping out of the limelight.

Brandon Jones, 28, says he still holds his beliefs in "living positively" but no longer wanted wider publicity.

He would only appear off camera for a BBC short documentary about living as a Jedi with his brother Daniel, 22.

The Holyhead-based church is continuing but Daniel Jones says his brother was affected by extreme reactions to their beliefs, including an assault.

In April 2008, a man appeared in court after assaulting Mr Jones and his cousin whilst dressed as Darth Vader.

The two had been filming themselves playing with light sabres in a garden at the time.

'Light side'

A shopping trip bought further adverse publicity after Daniel was allegedly asked to leave a supermarket for refusing to remove his hood.

The brothers, and their parents, have recently been featured for the short documentary, Living with the Jedi, produced for BBC Scotland.

The film notes that in the 2001 British census 390,127 adults claimed their faith was Jedi.

In the film parents, Sonia and Kim, are seen speaking about Daniel and his interest in George Lucas' classic Star Wars film series.

Daniel is then interviewed about the church, and the idea that people should "work on the light side of life" and "do good".

Not everyone takes his belief seriously, and in the documentary a passer-by can be heard shouting "Darth Vader" as he is interviewed in the garden of his home.

On film Daniel speaks of the "abuse" suffered as a result.

"I think he (his brother) took it in a really bad way", he said.

Re: I put Jedi down

kevinjwoods said:
I personally put Jedi down as my religion on the last census form because:
A) I don't actually have a religion, although I believe in most of the catholic stuff I disagree on a few things so am not a catholic but simply saying Christian doesn't work and there is no generic name for someone who believes in God Christ etc but never goes to church.
B) It felt like a cool thing to be part of a worldwide movement, and it was a worldwide thing, not just a press idea of cool.
C) I was having a bad day when I filled in the form.
D) I have always liked the original trilogy anyway.
E) Did I mention I was really bored that day.

I put Jedi down as my religion because I am a hopeless Warsie...and it seemed like a good idea at the time (as soon as lightsaber technology is available, I will be required to carry one...because of my "deep faith" and stuff). :D

Zoltar

I think you need a real lightsabre with some of the scum around. This story happened not that far from me, in fact, i think i've lost count now of the number of people i've known personally who've been hassled ot worse attacked in that area:

The force isn't strong with this one...

A BATTERED and bruised Star Wars fan hopes the "force" of West Yorkshire Police will help recover his expensive replica lightsaber after he was mugged.

The new decade got off to a bad start for the victim, who was dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi, when he was attacked by four youths while making his way home from a New Year's Eve fancy dress party.

The 37-year-old accounts manager was grabbed as he trekked home from the Brudenell Social Club along Queens Road, Hyde Park, Leeds, between 1.30am and 2am on New Year's Day.

As he passed the Harolds streets area he was pinned against a wall and punched and kicked to the ground from behind by four youths.

After delivering the brutal beating the cowardly yobs stole the rare Master Replica FX "lightsaber" which could cost as much as £300 to replace.

The distinctive collectors' item features a long illuminated tube with a handle which produces sound effects and can normally only be bought over the Internet. Obi, who does not want to reveal his real name, told the YEP that he could not remember hearing any warning or demands from his attackers before the beating.

He said: "I just found myself on the ground being kicked.

"After they had gone I remember being helped up by a couple and being asked if I was alright.

"I probably should have gone to a hospital A and E unit, but I went to the doctor's and he reckoned I had lost a pint or two of blood through the bruising."

He added: "I managed to cover my head, otherwise if they had hit my head with their kicks I would have been in a shocking state.

"I have a fairly resilient nature and it won't make me turn into a hermit. But the shock has come out in the last couple of days."

He said that he understood another group of people who attended the same party had also been assaulted and robbed by a gang making their way home at about 4am.

A North West Leeds Police spokesman confirmed detectives were investigating the possibility of a link between this assault and the later one.

The muggers were described as Asian and in their teens.

Officers are particularly keen to trace a white man and woman, aged in their twenties, who went to the victim's aid and are believed to live locally.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 5965152.jp

Hooray!

Jedi could perform marriages, says Free Church of Scotland
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-21842269

A Jedi knight training school in California.

The Free Church of Scotland said the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Bill will allow groups promoting a belief to marry couples.

The government said the change was relevant to bodies such as humanists, who are classed as religious rather than non-religious at the moment.

A spokeswoman said the reputation of Scottish ceremonies would be protected.

The Free Church of Scotland has raised concerns about religious and civil partnership ceremonies being joined by a third category.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

As part of the consultation we have outlined the reason for suggesting a third type of ceremony”

Scottish government spokeswoman
Church spokesman, the Reverend Iver Martin, told BBC Alba: "The third category is quite astonishing because it is the so-called belief category without really defining what belief means.

"There are loads of people in a diverse society like this for whom belief can mean virtually anything - the Flat Earth Society and Jedi Knights Society - who knows?

"I am not saying that we don't give place to that kind of personal belief, but when you start making allowances for marriages to be performed within those categories then you are all over the place."

The Scottish government is holding public consultation on bill.

A spokeswoman said: "Our current consultation covers not only the introduction of same sex marriage but also the detail of important protections in relation to religious bodies and celebrants, freedom of speech and education.

"As part of the consultation we have outlined the reason for suggesting a third type of ceremony.

"At the moment, marriage ceremonies by bodies such as humanists have been classed as religious, even though the beliefs of such organisations are non-religious."

The Jedi Knight Society offers lessons from Jedi master Yoda
She said that the bill made clear the government's determination to ensure the continued reputation of Scottish marriage ceremonies.

The spokeswoman added: "We are proposing the introduction of tests which a religious or belief body would have to meet before they could be authorised to solemnise marriage."

The Flat Earth Society encourages discussion on a theory that the Earth is a flat disk centred at the North Pole. The society also archives literature on the theory.

Founded in the 1800s by English inventor Samuel Birley Rowbotham, the society's theory is largely based on literal interpretations of passages in the Bible.

Jedi knights are characters in the Star Wars franchise, which includes books, comics, toys and films. Disney, which owns the rights to the franchise, is preparing to release new movies.

Various groups promote interest in the Jedi and include the Jedi Knight Society - which offers lessons from Master Yoda - and Temple of the Jedi Order.

Training in Jedi skills - such as use of light sabres, are also offered at a knights' school in California.

Basically this is one group of made up nonsense believers pulling rank over another group of made up nonsense believers. Except that for some reason the former group believe their load of made up nonsense very deeply whereas the others are just taking the piss.

Jedi is not a religion. Lucas blew that when he introduced the Midichlorian Count. It's biological - so it's a bit like saying that ginger people should have their own religion.

I think we need to know more about it, seeing as there seems to be so many of them.

CarlosTheDJ said:
jimv1 said:
Jedi is not a religion. Lucas blew that when he introduced the Midichlorian Count. It's biological - so it's a bit like saying that ginger people should have their own religion.

Not if you follow the "Machete Order" and ignore Episode 1. It's never mentioned again....*

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

EDIT *I think......
I just read that blog post, and I really think he's on to something... IV, V, II, III, VI, and ignore Phantom. My GF wants to re-watch all the Star Wars films, so I might try this out on her. Time to hide my Episode I DVD...

jimv1 said:

Jedi's are still the religious movement. It's just the Force that becomes a biological rather than a mystical phenomenon, but there's nothing about midchlorian's that says you have to dress up in a brown bathrobe and not get married in the name of upholding peace and order in the galaxy...

I'll get my coat...

Peripart said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
jimv1 said:

Not if you follow the "Machete Order" and ignore Episode 1. It's never mentioned again....*

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

EDIT *I think......
I just read that blog post, and I really think he's on to something... IV, V, II, III, VI, and ignore Phantom. My GF wants to re-watch all the Star Wars films, so I might try this out on her. Time to hide my Episode I DVD...

Yeah, I think we'll be trying it out next time!

Back