• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I just want to know what you mean by unsafe.

Generalising is useful only in some circumstances. In others your internal narratives lead to confirmation bias and so you end up making huge statements about things or people (in this case both!) which are unsupportable.

If you find that the limits and bias of the generalisation are acceptable then it is a useful exercise to consider why the results of such epistemological bad practice meet your needs and expectations.

Unsafe in the context of the careful and thoughtful examination this place supports and often achieves.

Generalising is useful only in some circumstances. In others your internal narratives lead to confirmation bias and so you end up making huge statements about things or people (in this case both!) which are unsupportable.

If you find that the limits and bias of the generalisation are acceptable then it is a useful exercise to consider why the results of such epistemological bad practice meet your needs and expectations.

Unsafe in the context of the careful and thoughtful examination this place supports and often achieves.
As a generalisation, I think it is fairly accurate, describing how belief systems, once entered, inhibit objective analysis. The aim of entering such a system, whether nominally religious, or political or scientific, is not really to find out the truth, but to join a community of persons who believe in the same things and therefore protect the members from criticism. They are in a box, as in the saying "thinking outside the box." Their true motive (finding social satisfaction) is hidden from them because they are willing to pay the price of membership. In some cults the price may be their own lives, of course. Scientific belief systems are just as bad at times, because they are nominally aimed at finding the truth about our universe and often reject automatically the kind of phenomena that we as Forteans are interested in because they realise that their own BS might be at risk if such phenomena are genuine.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

As a generalisation, I think it is fairly accurate, describing how belief systems, once entered, inhibit objective analysis.

This is true of those belief systems for which it is true.

What about ones where you encouraged and expected to question everything?

This is true of those belief systems for which it is true.

What about ones where you encouraged and expected to question everything?
In such cases (very rare) what is encouraged is not a belief but an attitude. In fact now I think of it, attitude is everything.

newb here, grew up a Jehovah’s Witness, left faith when parents split when I was a tween, now an Im an atheist. timing was awesome, wasn’t sure how much longer I could pretend to ring doorbells!

the pal who got me into Burning Man culture has often pointed to me a full growed woman wearing 2 wigs or halloween masks as epaulets eg and said THIS is what happens when you deny a child halloween

newb here, grew up a Jehovah’s Witness, left faith when parents split when I was a tween, now an Im an atheist. timing was awesome, wasn’t sure how much longer I could pretend to ring doorbells!

the pal who got me into Burning Man culture has often pointed to me a full growed woman wearing 2 wigs or halloween masks as epaulets eg and said THIS is what happens when you deny a child halloween
Are you now an atheist as a result of your indoctrination into the JWs? I realise it's tempting to reject the concept of a deity because it is linked in your mind with the kind of theological nonsense that Christianity (inc. the JWs) turned into, in fact I did the same in my teens.

Good question. When we left it I was 10 and still belived in the faith and deity. If my teen years hadn't been total shite (divorce poverty abuse cue violins) maybe I’d a kept the faith. By grade 12 - last year of high school when we covered existentialism in english class I was an out atheist.

Are you now an atheist as a result of your indoctrination into the JWs? I realise it's tempting to reject the concept of a deity because it is linked in your mind with the kind of theological nonsense that Christianity (inc. the JWs) turned into, in fact I did the same in my teens.

That's pretty much the argument of Enlightenment deists like Voltaire and Paine: that coupling the concept of God with a load of bizarre superstitions just leads to more atheism.

That's pretty much the argument of Enlightenment deists like Voltaire and Paine: that coupling the concept of God with a load of bizarre superstitions just leads to more atheism.
Sadly that's just what a lot of religions turned into, regardless of how their founders may have seemed. There is a conflict between the desire to reject the whole package because it has turned into nonsense, and the recognition that Jesus said very many powerful and impressive things and seems to have been the genuine article. It is said in the East that any genuine spiritual teaching that enters our world gets attacked by forces that attempt to destroy and distort it, and that's certainly what happened with Christianity. Within a couple of centuries it had morphed into something hideous. The best source for what happened is Joseph McCabe's book The Testament of Christian Civilisation (free download from Internet Archive) and this is my favourite quote:

McCabe quote.jpg

I've found a good way to discomfit them, I tell them "we follow the old gods here" I then show them my hammer pendant and my runes, I offer to do a reading for them and finally show them my rune staff (this is an actual staff, no filth here please :cool: )

Last edited:
I've found a good way to discomfit them, I tell them "we follow the old gods here" I then show them my hammer pendant and my runes, I offer to do a reading for them and finally show them my rune staff (this is an actual staff, no filth here please :cool: )
whatever works. i just tell them they excommunicated my mom. Anybody can use that line btw and they will RUN and not come back for yrs

You bring up an unexpected angle. Being raised a JW was great intro to the old Gods. Why didnt we celebrate Easter w ham n eggs? Cuz thats from Lupercalia ancient fertility that early church leaders just diverted to Easter to put feet in the seats. Eggs and rabbits are ancient fertility symbols. We learned what pagan roots were at the heart of most contemporary non JW christianity. Folks thought I was listening to the God n Mary schtick - I wanted to hear more about this rocking Feast of the Saturnalia!

I got a handwritten letter posted through the door a few days ago. It had a stamp and postmark. Inside was a handwritten message along the lines of ‘in these uncertain times… fear… anxiety… is everything going out of control… is there any hope… God… Bible etc. ‘ There was also a leaflet with some sort of JW website. I found it a bit unnerving that someone had taken the time to write this and post it to me as ‘home owner.’

I got a handwritten letter posted through the door a few days ago. It had a stamp and postmark. Inside was a handwritten message along the lines of ‘in these uncertain times… fear… anxiety… is everything going out of control… is there any hope… God… Bible etc. ‘ There was also a leaflet with some sort of JW website. I found it a bit unnerving that someone had taken the time to write this and post it to me as ‘home owner.’
I've had several of those posted to me as well during the lock down. I have no interest in the JW religion but at least the person who sent it is sincerely trying to help others.

Good question. When we left it I was 10 and still belived in the faith and deity. If my teen years hadn't been total shite (divorce poverty abuse cue violins) maybe I’d a kept the faith. By grade 12 - last year of high school when we covered existentialism in english class I was an out atheist.
You rumbled it, like people do. :)

I have to be careful every single day to keep my inner voice silent when it says Fuck off with yer God shite! :mad:
This is my response to all gods and religions. I am an equal-opportunities sceptic.

Have to say that it's not the gods or the beliefs I'm rejecting. I'm just a monkey, what do I know? It's the usually misogynistic power-culture that goes with it all.

I've had several of those posted to me as well during the lock down. I have no interest in the JW religion but at least the person who sent it is sincerely trying to help others.
I received one about a year ago and another one just this morning.

No doubt they have convinced themselves that they are helping others but you have to temper that with the knowledge that it is a requirement of their religion to do a certain amount of doorstepping. Bottom line they are doing it to help themselves.

I have to be careful every single day to keep my inner voice silent when it says Fuck off with yer God shite! :mad:
This is my response to all gods and religions. I am an equal-opportunities sceptic.

Have to say that it's not the gods or the beliefs I'm rejecting. I'm just a monkey, what do I know? It's the usually misogynistic power-culture that goes with it all.
it made me a tad sad to run into soooo many theists when I first joined these boards. Fuck Off With Your God Shite would make a superb forehead tattoo - idea anyway.

Eating Jesus, getting your own planet, venerating a plain old rock are all equal BS to me.

Turns out based on legal allegations of sexual abuse getting outta there at age 10 may have been wonderful good luck
(edited to correct odd spacing)

Last edited:
Turns out based on legal allegations of sexual abuse getting outta there at age 10 may have been wonderful good luck
Perhaps your parents were even wiser than you thought. :cool:

This is stupid most atheist are as anti religious to the point to make it a bloody religion. Who fucking cares: be polite and ignore fanatical religious, or atheists' you'll never convince them. The same goes for bloody politics. There's fine Buddhist, Jews, Christians, Hindus, atheist, agnostics, etc. And there are plenty of all on the soap box beating there breast. OK hate me Fortean atheist, I'm agnostic and am happy to be so happy to discuss any belief system or lack of one calmly without pretense.

This is stupid most atheist are as anti religious to the point to make it a bloody religion. Who fucking cares: be polite and ignore fanatical religious, or atheists' you'll never convince them. The same goes for bloody politics. There's fine Buddhist, Jews, Christians, Hindus, atheist, agnostics, etc. And there are plenty of all on the soap box beating there breast. OK hate me Fortean atheist, I'm agnostic and am happy to be so happy to discuss any belief system or lack of one calmly without pretense.

:dunno:

Moving swiftly on...

Jehovah's Witnesses will resume knocking on Americans' doors on 1 September.
Jehovah’s Witnesses to return to door-to-door ministry for first time since before COVID-19 pandemic

Jehovah’s Witnesses are returning to their trademark door-to-door ministry for the first time in two-and-a-half years.

According to the organization, it will mark “the complete restoration of all pre-pandemic in-person activities for the nearly 1.3 million Jehovah’s Witnesses in the 12,000 congregations” across the country and will be “just in time for the launch of a global campaign featuring an interactive program for Bible study.”

Houses of worship, called Kingdom Halls, were reopened on April 1, 2022. Witnessing in public places resumed on May 31, 2022 and in-person conventions are being planned for 2023.

The Jehovah’s Witness organization called the suspension “unprecedented.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-n...or-first-time-since-before-covid-19-pandemic/

Had one, too. I guess it is a lot easier to post a letter than ring doorbell...

Had one, too. I guess it is a lot easier to post a letter than ring doorbell...
As a postman I have delivered thousands of those bloody things since Covid started. Always handwritten,with a stamp and addressed ‘the occupier’ or a variation of that. Sometimes we get whole roads having them on the same day. I’ll be glad when they start knocking again.

As a postman I have delivered thousands of those bloody things since Covid started. Always handwritten,with a stamp and addressed ‘the occupier’ or a variation of that. Sometimes we get whole roads having them on the same day. I’ll be glad when they start knocking again.
They kept you in a job, though. It's not all bad.

Back