• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jequirity bean bracelet

Quake42

Warrior Princess
A friend has just forwarded me an email that was sent to all parents from his daughter's school:

Dear Parents, Carers and Students
We have been alerted about a possible health risk with bracelets that contain poisonous red and black Jequirity beans. Picture attached.

The bracelets and beans contain the toxin 'abrin', which is a controlled substance under the Terrorism Act which if swallowed can kill in doses of just 3 micrograms. Abrin is chemically similar to ricin, a chemical warfare agent.

The bracelets have been sold through 36 retailers across the UK - one of which is the Eden Project in Cornwall .

It has been advised, if you have bought one of the bracelets, you should bag them and then wash your hands and avoid touching your eyes. You can then dispose of the bagged bracelet safely in the household waste.

It screams urban myth but a quick Google suggests it might be true. Any ideas?

I remember when I was quite young, my Mum being given a bracelet made from castor beans. She knew what they were and stopped me playing with them. I think she must have thrown them out.

Back