• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jessie Earl: Coroner Records Verdict Of Unlawful Killing

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Not sure which Thread this fits in, it looks as if evidence was overlooked when the body was first discovered in 1989.

A woman found dead more than 30 years ago was murdered, a coroner has ruled, following a campaign by her family.
30 minutes ago

The body of Jessie Earl, 22, was found in 1989 near Beachy Head, East Sussex, nine years after she disappeared. A previous inquest recorded an open verdict, but a fresh hearing heard she was "probably" tied to a tree and "possibly" sexually assaulted.

Sussex assistant coroner James Healy-Pratt ruled that her death was unlawful killing by murder. Mr Healy-Pratt pointed to a police report at the time of the art student's disappearance in 1980, which said suicide was the most likely reason, due to pressure of exams and depression over a number of allergies she suffered.

This would have resulted in "less resources being expended" to investigate the missing person case, he said. "In other words, it would have a chilling effect on police efforts to investigate the disappearance of Jessie."

The inquest at Eastbourne Town Hall heard that Miss Earl's body was found with no clothes, except for a brown bra, which was tied in a knot. The bra had likely been destroyed by police later, due to the case not being considered a murder investigation in the first instance.

But Mr Healy-Pratt said it was key to the case.

"A third party perpetrator used the brassiere to restrain Jessie by the wrists and had intentionally killed her by means unknown," he said.

The coroner highlighted one of the last conversations Jessie had with her mother Valerie in May 1980, in which Jessie described meeting a middle-aged man during one of her regular walks near Beachy Head.

She had told her mother: "I wish men would be prepared to be just friends."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-61414325

I fail to see a fortean aspect. Just another murder.

I fail to see a fortean aspect. Just another murder.

The sheer incompetence of the first investigation, evidence of a crime having been committed was ignored. Were the police covering for someone back in 1989 or was it just gross negligence on their part.

.I said I wasn't sure where to post it, the Mods may decide to move it to a crime related Thread.

Perhaps it's because I don't live in the UK, but "unlawful killing" seems to imply there is a "lawful killing"?

Back