• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I seem to recall a case where an airliner (on its way to Hawaii?) lost part of its roof and an unfortunate passenger was sucked into an engine. IIRC not much was left.
edit: This one I think:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811
Those are two separate incidents. The ingestion of one or more ejected passengers in an engine was the United Flight 811 incident you cited, in which a side cargo door and the surrounding section of fuselage blew off. From the Wikipedia article:
Despite extensive air and sea searches, no remains of the nine victims lost in flight were found at sea.  Multiple small body fragments and pieces of clothing were found in the Number 3 engine, indicating that at least one victim ejected from the fuselage was ingested by the engine, but whether the fragments were from one or more victims was not known.

The airliner that lost its roof in transit was Aloha Airlines 243. A flight attendant was ejected, but there was no indication she was ingested in the aircraft's engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Those are two separate incidents. The ingestion of one or more ejected passengers in an engine was the United Flight 811 incident you cited, in which a side cargo door and the surrounding section of fuselage blew off. From the Wikipedia article:

The airliner that lost its roof in transit was Aloha Airlines 243. A flight attendant was ejected, but there was no indication she was ingested in the aircraft's engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243
Yes, thanks, I was confusing the two.

Amazing in both cases, but particularly the Aloha one, that the crew managed to land the planes safely.

A air hostess was killed at Blackpool after walking into a propeller,
but on a brighter note I read a report of a member of ground crew
that walked through the disc of a idling propeller and it did not even
touch him, though he realised immediately what he had done and collapsed
with shock.

...I read a report of a member of ground crew that walked through the disc of a idling propeller and it did not even touch him, though he realised immediately what he had done and collapsed with shock.
Wow, the timing must have been perfect.

This incident was disturbing, but thankfully not fatal or injurious. A small airliner hit a bird, which apparently shattered one of the plane's propellers and sent a blade tearing through the passenger cabin.
Terrifying moment a propeller smashes through a plane window after hitting a bird

A propeller smashed through the window of a plane after it hit a bird, terrifying on-board passengers.

The bird hit the engine with such force that the propeller went straight through the cabin and across to the opposite side of the aircraft. ...

The Jetstream 41 was approaching Venetia Mine in South Africa when the bird struck the propeller on the right side. ...

The blade snapped off, penetrating the side of the aircraft.

Miraculously however, the propeller hit an area of the cabin which was unoccupied.

Its force and trajectory saw it then hurtle across the cabin and smash into a passenger window, destroying the window pane on the opposite side of the fuselage.

The debris created from the propeller shows splinters of wood across the cabin. Amazingly, no one was hurt and the plane landed safely. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...d/news-story/2592dde2b84425767702be6fd4902703

Australian golfer Jack Newton walked into the still moving propellers of a plane in 1983. My father was an acquaintance of his.

From the Archives, 1983: Golfer Jack Newton loses arm in plane accident​

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...es-arm-in-plane-accident-20200703-p558w0.html
I confess I hadn't heard of Jack Newton until I read this, but he's still with us, and 71 years old.

It seems he lost an eye as well as an arm, but continued playing, and could apparently still score in the mid-80s using only his left arm to swing the club. I know plenty of 2-handed golfers who would love to be that good!

I confess I hadn't heard of Jack Newton until I read this, but he's still with us, and 71 years old.

It seems he lost an eye as well as an arm, but continued playing, and could apparently still score in the mid-80s using only his left arm to swing the club. I know plenty of 2-handed golfers who would love to be that good!
Before Techy took up cycling he was a keen golfer and he often played against men with disabilities. As you say, having only one arm or one eye didn't hold them back. He knew amputee golfers who'd play a good round and then take off their tin leg in the bar afterwards.
Golf is inclusive in that way.

I used to work in the industry. I have known two specific cases, one with a turboprop propeller, and one with a high-bypass turbine.
The first one was an early morning walk around check, engines running, props spinning and the tech was walking up the centre line and went a little too far towards one side and got caught by the prop tip and picked up and flung out meters across the apron. Severe, life threatening injuries resulted there were life changing.

The latter was a case of ground run-ups with one of the most experienced engine techs I knew, and still, a conjunction of circumstances saw him get too close to the intake and his upper body was drawn in, before colleagues managed to grab him, but he still lost a significant proportion of his arm. Life changing injury but, in the case of high bypass engines, he was lucky to have survived at all.

However, a slightly lighter incident was reported by an exRAF serviceman from the late 70s, who was an instructor of mine. A very late night engine run-up on an F-4 Phantom after a switch out was going well, and the unit was being spun up to full military power. As they throttled one engine down, a Landy arrived over with an irate sentry who had just received multiple bollickings from the base commander as local residents complained of their sleep being interrupted.

As the sentry remonstrated with the engine crew, engine 2 was run up to the same extent. As if to prove his point, a large section of the run up area paving was lifted up and sent barrelling end over end and neatly crushed the fortunately unoccupied Landy. But they were done by then and a Landy cost a lot less than a blown Phantom engine.

I used to work in the industry. I have known two specific cases, one with a turboprop propeller, and one with a high-bypass turbine.
The first one was an early morning walk around check, engines running, props spinning and the tech was walking up the centre line and went a little too far towards one side and got caught by the prop tip and picked up and flung out meters across the apron. Severe, life threatening injuries resulted there were life changing.

The latter was a case of ground run-ups with one of the most experienced engine techs I knew, and still, a conjunction of circumstances saw him get too close to the intake and his upper body was drawn in, before colleagues managed to grab him, but he still lost a significant proportion of his arm. Life changing injury but, in the case of high bypass engines, he was lucky to have survived at all.

However, a slightly lighter incident was reported by an exRAF serviceman from the late 70s, who was an instructor of mine. A very late night engine run-up on an F-4 Phantom after a switch out was going well, and the unit was being spun up to full military power. As they throttled one engine down, a Landy arrived over with an irate sentry who had just received multiple bollickings from the base commander as local residents complained of their sleep being interrupted.

As the sentry remonstrated with the engine crew, engine 2 was run up to the same extent. As if to prove his point, a large section of the run up area paving was lifted up and sent barrelling end over end and neatly crushed the fortunately unoccupied Landy. But they were done by then and a Landy cost a lot less than a blown Phantom engine.
Reminds me of this famous incident, when a USAF Osprey blew Addenbrookes Hospital's helipad clean away -

Yeah but to be fair, a tarpaulin isn't a helipad.
Or, to be equally-fair, neither is a corrugated rubber walk-way (with an anti-vegetation mesh underlay) that's all been ineffectually-secured.

The downswash from an Osprey is massive, compared to that of an H145 helicopter ambulance.....I've only felt it from an offset distance, and that was more than enough for me.

The technical term for this event is, apparently, " snarge".

Snarge isn't the bird strike event per se. It's the residue.

It means "the residue of birds that have struck an airplane" and is used by, and apparently was coined by, the people at the National Museum of Natural History who try to identify the birds that have had fatal encounters with airplanes.
https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1066

Carla Dove and her team at the feather-identification lab at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, study snarge — that's the bird goo that is wiped off an aircraft after it hits a bird.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99474333

I used to work for a manufacturer of jet engines. A routine part of engine certification was a bird ingestion test. A supermarket turkey was fired from an air cannon into the intake of an engine running at power. If the test went according to plan there was a lot of bucking and jumping, but nothing was broken and the mess could be cleaned up with a high-pressure hose.

Then someone forgot to tell the tech that the bird should be thawed before the test. Oh dear . . .

I used to work for a manufacturer of jet engines. A routine part of engine certification was a bird ingestion test. A supermarket turkey was fired from an air cannon into the intake of an engine running at power. If the test went according to plan there was a lot of bucking and jumping, but nothing was broken and the mess could be cleaned up with a high-pressure hose.

Then someone forgot to tell the tech that the bird should be thawed before the test. Oh dear . . .
See Also:
Flying Chicken UL? (Chicken Cannon; Bird Strike Testing)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...cannon-bird-strike-testing.6777/#post-2026909

Brings to mind the WKRP Turkey Drop -

WKRP Turkey Drop

'As God is my witness, I believed turkeys could fly.'

Apparently based on a real incident! :chuckle:

Cant vouch for this but it was told by someone involved.
Jet engine chicken test load up the chicken then decide
it's lunch time bugger off for grub come back fire up engine,
all clear, fire, whoosh Meeeeoooowwwwwwww thud,
kitty had followed nose to chicken, poor puss.
:omr:

I hate to joke about this incident, but ... It makes me wonder whether the young pilot who'd rented a plane for an impressive dinner date thought the date had gone badly and wanted to end it all versus being so thrilled with how well it had gone that he blundered fatally in blissful distraction ...
Georgia college student killed by propeller of plane he rented for date

A Georgia college student was killed instantly when he was struck by the propeller of an airplane he rented for a dinner date, according to the Bulloch County Coroner’s Office.

The freak accident occurred Sunday night, Oct. 16, at the Statesboro Bulloch County Airport in Statesboro, Coroner Jake Futch confirmed ...

Officials identified the victim as Sani Aliyu, 21, of Atlanta. Georgia Southern University administrators confirmed he was a sophomore management major.

Futch said Aliyu had rented a Cessna plane to fly himself and a young woman to Savannah for dinner Sunday night. Upon returning to Statesboro, the young woman got out and walked toward the back of the aircraft.

“(Aliyu) got out and walked toward the front,” Futch said. “And when he did, the propeller hit him in the head, killing him instantly.”

No other details were immediately released. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/geo...by-propeller-of-plane-he-rented-for-date.html

Airport worker fatally ingested into engine at San Antonio International Airport​

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/san-antonio-airport-worker-dies-in-tragic-accident

"According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the incident happened on Friday at around 10:25 p.m. when Delta Flight 1111 arrived at the San Antonio International Airport from Los Angeles and was taxiing to the gate on one engine. That's when a worker was ingested into the engine.

The NTSB is actively investigating this incident."

Last edited:
Back