• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who killed JFK?

• Lee Harvey Oswald

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • Mafia

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • CIA/FBI

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • Cubans

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • KGB

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • The Illuminati/Masons/Lizards

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • all of the above

Votes: 21 18.6%

• Total voters
EnolaGaia said:
The part that *did* always pique my curiosity was why Oswald took the time to walk over and put a 'kill shot' in Tippit's head after he'd already pumped 3 shots into Tippit's chest and Tippit had fallen.

Possibly wanted to make sure that he died before he could radio in or alert anyone?

ted_bloody_maul said:
EnolaGaia said:
The part that *did* always pique my curiosity was why Oswald took the time to walk over and put a 'kill shot' in Tippit's head after he'd already pumped 3 shots into Tippit's chest and Tippit had fallen.

Possibly wanted to make sure that he died before he could radio in or alert anyone?

Could be ... The fragmentary evidence is consistent with Oswald being in a near-panicked state after he left the Depository. He could have simply overreacted.

... Which leads to another angle that's always bothered me ....

If Oswald took the time to walk over to an already-prone Tippit and put a shot into his head, why didn't he go the few additional steps, take Tippit's police cruiser, and drive away?

According to the shooting witnesses Oswald walked away from the scene, clumsily emptying his 'spent brass' and reloading his pistol as he walked.

EnolaGaia said:
According to the shooting witnesses Oswald walked away from the scene, clumsily emptying his 'spent brass' and reloading his pistol as he walked.

And this is where the story begins to fall apart, in my opinion. Having just shot the president, the guy panics, kills a cop with no provocation whatsoever, and then leaves the scene of the crime dumping as much evidence to link him to the crime as possible. And then, having done all of that, he walks into a cinema without paying! I just cannot understand this at all. Did he actually want to get caught?

TheCavynaut said:
EnolaGaia said:

And this is where the story begins to fall apart, in my opinion. Having just shot the president, the guy panics, kills a cop with no provocation whatsoever, and then leaves the scene of the crime dumping as much evidence to link him to the crime as possible. And then, having done all of that, he walks into a cinema without paying! I just cannot understand this at all. Did he actually want to get caught?

Well, this is where I can't believe that story. I can believe that he panics after shooting the president. I would! But he must have shot very calmly, or so the experts say. He needed to be calm to hit him from that distance. So he stays calm and then panics. Fair enough. Then he does the Tippit shooting in an anything-else-but-calm fashion. Hmmm...ok, maybe.

I can understand that he then goes into a movie theater - stay out of sight for a couple of hours till the cops arrest five or six guys that look and dress a bit like him. He didn't look at all unusual, so there's a good chance that it might have gone this way. But then - he doesn't pay? He's trying to dodge the cops by not paying? Unless he was patsy like he claimed and wanted to get caught to take the heat off someone else. And then prove his innocence in court. Maybe. And then whoever makes sure that he never gets his day in court. If course, I got nothing to prove this at all. :D

But the Tippit and Cinema story just never added up in my mind.

Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin up for auction

The coffin which used to contain the body of Lee Harvey Oswald is to be sold at auction in a few weeks.
The man believed to have shot President John F Kennedy was interred in the pine coffin for almost 20 years.

He was exhumed in 1981 as his widow wanted to verify that it was him inside the coffin, and then reburied in a new casket in the same Texas cemetery.

Auction officials say bidding for the item will start at $1,000 (£640) but they expect it to go much higher.
"There's just a lot of interest in Kennedy and anything to do with his assassination," said Laura Yntema, manager for Nate D Sanders auction house.

Oswald was arrested about an hour after President Kennedy was shot dead in Dallas on 22 November, 1963.
The suspected assassin was himself shot two days later and so was never brought to trial.

There have been numerous conspiracy theories ever since about who really shot JFK and why Lee Harvey Oswald was killed.

The exhumation of his body in 1981 was designed to lay to rest one of these theories - namely, that the man who was buried was a Soviet agent who had taken Oswald's identity to carry out the killing.

The auction in Los Angeles also includes instruments that were used to embalm Oswald, his death certificate, an Easter card he sent to his brother, and a section of the car seat on which President Kennedy was sitting when he was shot. :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11886392

For what it's worth, I saw an excellent documentary on our SBS station.

It was called JFK:3 Shots that changed the America.

Rather than offering the umpteenth analysis of the Zapruder film or proving or disproving this and that conspiracy, it is entirely comprised of news broadcasts, taped conversations and so forth. No commentary at all - just the facts and rumours as they reported at the time. A lot of footage that hasn't been aired since.

Hear Walter Cronkite mention "conspiracy" a mere two days after the assassination. Hear Jack Ruby say "I am the only one who knows the truth and the world will never know".

You can see the world premiere of the Zapruder film - first time shown to the public as late as 1975. And so forth - fascinating stuff.

You can get it on DVD or download it if you know where to look - I highly recommend it if you want to get to the source material and cut out the crap that has piled up on the subject over the years.

And some of the stuff you hear and see there makes your hair stand more than any conspiracy theorist ever would.

Who killed JFK? List of suspects made by secretary of assassinated President goes up for auction
By Paul Thompson
Last updated at 8:43 AM on 13th December 2010
The former secretary of President John F. Kennedy made a list of suspects she believed were behind his assassination immediately after he was gunned down in Texas.

As she flew home on Air Force One Evelyn Lincoln jotted down the names of those she suspected were behind the killing.
They included Richard Nixon and the country's vice president Lyndon Johnson.

She also named the Klu Klux Klan, the CIA and Communists as she mulled over who could have ordered the assassination.
Her thoughts were scribbled down on a single sheet of paper.

The never-before-seen note is now up for sale and is expected to go for more than £20,000 at an auction next week.

JFK's assassination in 1963 has long been the subject of conspiracy theories, ranging from those behind the murder to doubts about the lone assassin theory.
But even before those conspiracies were aired Lincoln had her own suspicions.

She was riding in the motorcade with Kennedy when he was shot dead by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas.

Lincoln jotted down names of people she suspected could have been behind the killing, starting with Lyndon Johnson.
He took over from JFK after the murder that shocked the world.

Her note also listed 'the KKK, Dixiecrats, [Teamsters boss Jimmy] Hoffa, [the] John Birch Society, Nixon, [South Vietnam President Ngo Dinh] Diem, Rightist, CIA in Cuban fiasco, Dictators [and] Communists.'

On the back of the list is another note, written more than 20 years later when she passed on her letters to Kennedy collector Robert White.
'There is no end to the list of suspected conspirators to President Kennedy murder. Many factions had their reasons for wanting the young president dead. That fact alone illustrates how the world suffers from a congenital proclivity to violence,' it reads.

The 10-month Warren Commission set up to investigate the assassination concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in assassinating the president.

The note, consigned by the Gettysburg Museum of History, will be auctioned by Alexander Autographs in Stamford, Connecticut on Thursday.
Lincoln was Kennedy's personal secretary from 1953 until his death on November 22, 1963. She died in 1995 at age 85.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z17zDm6AkZ

Yes Zilch, the same (or similar) was shown a few weeks ago on, I think, Controversial TV or Showcase TV on Sky in the UK

Fantastic insight on what the immediate reactions were after the assassination and the original news broadcasts by ABC etc
The descrepancy over the make of rifle found, the surge of the crowds toward the grassy knoll etc, it all made interesting viewing. There were follow up episodes, 4 total. In one of these, Madeleine Duncan Brown - mistress of Lyndon Johnson - is quite convincing when she talks of the ominous remark LBJ made to her following a party for Hoover the night before the assassination.

Cheers Dan

Well, this one is new for me:

Was JFK killed because of his interest in aliens? Secret memo shows president demanded UFO files 10 days before death

An uncovered letter written by John F Kennedy to the head of the CIA shows that the president demanded to be shown highly confidential documents about UFOs 10 days before his assassination.

The secret memo is one of two letters written by JFK asking for information about the paranormal on November 12 1963, which have been released by the CIA for the first time.

Author William Lester said the CIA released the documents to him under the Freedom of Information Act after he made a request while researching his new book [of course!] 'A Celebration of Freedom: JFK and the New Frontier.'

In one of the secret documents released under the Freedom of Information Act, JFK writes to the director asking for the UFO files.

In the second memo, sent to the NASA administrator, the president expresses a desire for cooperation with the former Soviet Union on mutual outer space activities.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1JwSF1xEK

[/quote]

A prime example of a conspiracy theory eating itself. So, for years it's held up as proof of various conspiratorial things, and then everything comes full circle as this is now 'revealed' to be part of the conspiracy. Amazing - and hilarious :D

Interesting article that Zilch. Thanks for posting.

Like you, I'm still highly interested in the JFK killing.

I honestly don't think that any case made on the basis of physical evidence is worth much of anything at this point, unfortunately. It *all* seems to be compromised, disputed, lost, destroyed, locked away, whatever. My own $.02, which, hey, it's an opinion, is that the circumstantial evidence points strongly to the 'organized crime/the Mafia did it' theory. But that's just me, and I'm not so deeply invested in it that I couldn't be persuaded to another scenario. (Though I will add that I think the Warren Commission's 'Oswald-as-lone-nut' is simply not credible. I'd believe the sounds-dubious-to-me 'Secret Service Agent George Hickey accidentally killed JFK' explanation seven days a week and twice on Sundays before buying the lone nut nonsense.)

I just stumbled across this in my net surfing: A possibly related murder (and of course, a book for sale...)

Mary Pinchot Meyer, JFK Mistress, Assassinated By CIA, New Book Says

WASHINGTON -- Conspiracy theorists who question President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 have, over the years, become obsessed with another murder. On Oct. 12, 1964, socialite and artist Mary Pinchot Meyer, a longtime Kennedy mistress, was shot execution-style in broad daylight while walking along the Georgetown canal towpath.

Within hours, police charged day laborer Ray Crump Jr. with murder. They never found the gun, however, and a jury acquitted Crump after an eyewitness described the killer as much bigger than the diminutive defendant. In the ensuing years, the case has become one of Washington's most infamous unresolved murder cases.

In his new book, "Mary's Mosaic: The CIA Conspiracy to Murder John F. Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and Their Vision of World Peace," author Peter Janney lays out a complex web of high society and high crimes that implicates some of the nation's most respected intelligence agents, journalists and government officials in what Janney contends was a massive cover-up spanning three decades. At the center is a shadowy, all-too-familiar villain, the Central Intelligence Agency of the early-1960s. etc etc etc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 ... 34191.html

The question here is

how many times does the US gov/cia/fbi have to get caught red handed lying and covering up and missleading the public before people will finally admit that the chances are there was a conspiracy of some sort...
with JFK's murder....

Here's a Podcast from (the Australian) ABC Radio last night - an interview with Clint Hill, the Secret Service Agent in charge of Jaqueline Kennedy and the guy who is seen jumping onto the back of the Presidential car in the Zapruder film.

The Podcast is one hour long - the interview starts at about 14 minutes and lasts about another 15 minutes:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/global_incl ... e=20130301

For the record, his firm opinion is that LHO was the lone shooter.

I've seen the zapruder film with accompanying audio soundtrack taken from a police motorcycle and 5 shots are heard.

Lee Harvey Oswalds finger prints were taken from the murder weapon by the police in the book store repository, prior to anyone else in the FBI etc getting access to the weapon...

if some one else was using that weapon they would have obscured his prints ? on trigger and palm....

ballistics showed that was the murder weapon...

need i go further ?

Jonfairway said:
Lee Harvey Oswalds finger prints were taken from the murder weapon by the police in the book store repository, prior to anyone else in the FBI etc getting access to the weapon...

if some one else was using that weapon they would have obscured his prints ? on trigger and palm....

ballistics showed that was the murder weapon...

need i go further ?

I don't believe they ever recovered the bullet for the fatal head shot.

the following is a good documentary on youtube:

JFK documentary (1988) Day the Dream Died

The acoustic evidence is a puzzle.
As I remember, I think it's from the book No More Silence by Larry A. Sneed, H.B.Mclain always denied that the recording came from his motorcycle.
I think what happened was Mclain was eventually pestered for want of a better word that it was 'possible' that it had come from his motorcycle, but he told colleagues he was so fed up with constantly being questioned by the commitee that 'possible' was in the context of 'well anythings possible' which is not the same thing at all.
In which case, who's motorcycle was it?

Back