• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jill Dando's Murder: Barry George Accused, Convicted & Acquitted

sure TP, but you didn't change your name by deed poll to eddie, did you :eek!!!!:

Originally posted by dot23
sure TP, but you didn't change your name by deed poll to eddie, did you
No, I tried to remain in the area of inspiration, rather than pure worship. Still, when the Diver Down album came out, I was thinking about his playing technique more than what would be considered normal. We all have skeletons in our closet, I suppose. :)

Speaking of which, I'd like to be he chief proponent of the Barry Gibb theory, if I may.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that boy was dodgy - those teeth just aint right.

Alastair Campbell was apparently interviewed a couple of times over the 'sweating man at the bus stop' photofit. Hardly looks like Barry Gibb mind.... ;)

I don't think that George did it, and I was surprised at the result of the appeal, but I still wonder about the Serb death squad theory. This mainly because I don't see why Dando in particular would have been targeted, despite fronting the Kosovo appeal. Would John Simpson in Belgrade not have been a more obvious target for the likes of Arkan? Mind you, Simpson was accused of pro-Serb bias at one stage during the war. Incidentally, I remember reading that a BBC reporter in Yugoslavia was summoned by officials asking who Jill Dando was and why they were getting the blame.

There were also early rumours that the killer was ex-SAS, linked to Mossad or had fled to Belgium but these were discounted.

The Judges said he is, so that's it!

Thread Closed!

Er, I can't seem to find the Close Thread button...
I'll get another pint and do it later.... [zzzzzzzzzz]

Interesting thread-reviving article here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4386441.stm
Dando death claim in Archer case
Disgraced peer Lord Archer is to appeal his perjury conviction, citing new evidence including bizarre claims he was responsible for Jill Dando's death.
He says the verdict should be quashed as some evidence - such as the baseless claim - was not shared at his trial, his wife has told the Mail on Sunday.

Police were told that Ms Dando was killed by mistake after Archer ordered the death of a prosecution witness.

His ex-employee Angela Peppiatt lived in the same road as the TV presenter.

'Preposterous claim'

The former deputy Tory chairman was jailed for four years in 2001, and was released in 2003.

Lord Archer's wife Mary said that her husband was preparing his appeal, but could not say how long it might take before it reached court.

His argument will hinge on claims that certain allegations against him were not divulged.

These include the charge that he ordered Ms Peppiatt to be killed.

The claim was that television presenter Jill Dando - who lived very close to Ms Peppiatt and drove a similar car - was murdered by mistake.

Speaking on her husband's behalf, Lady Archer told the newspaper: "I have long known false allegations were made to the police to assist the prosecution and undermine Jeffrey's defence.

"I am astonished that the police did not make known to us, as the law requires they should have done, the preposterous claim that Jeffrey commissioned the murder of Angela Peppiatt."

Barry George was jailed for life in July 2001 after being convicted of Ms Dando's murder.

One of my friends was disgusted at the number of Detectives working on the Dando case.

She said that all such cases should be treated equally.

Homo Aves said:
One of my friends was disgusted at the number of Detectives working on the Dando case.

She said that all such cases should be treated equally.

I find this annoying myself. Whilst Dando's murder was undoubtedly sad - as is all murder - I don't accept that public figures 'deserve' bigger investigations, more manpower, more man hours, than anyone else.

They also seem to get a reduced level of proof needed to convict their "murderer".

I have a friend who works occasionally as a reflexologist (I have ny skepticism about reflexology but that's probably another thread) anyway he told me that he once treated Barry George - once only I think, Said he came across as a bit of a weirdo. There were reports that he was a bit of a hypochondriac. But as we know being a weirdo or loner , or visting alternative health centres is not a crime and I agree his conviction looks very suspect.

Archer is (a) a buffoon and (b) as we say in Scottish football fandom "a walking bomb scare", the kind of guy I would associate with a thing like a botched hit. Where there is smoke there is fire I say - Archer is Reichstagian in this case - and there are definately 'House of Cards' style goings on in the City that have become exacerbated in recent years.
David Icke and Alex Jones talk about grand conspiracies. I do not believe this. There are grimy, seedy little secrets and ambitions that need covering up and that is where the government, police and other public masters sully their priviledge.
I am guilty of Morrissian sicknesses in the case of Dando as I also bought the infamous Cassetteboy CD.
Anyway, is it just me or is the real conspiracy that bland, vaccuous celebrities are encouraged to thrive by the state. Where a couple of Geordie remedial pupils are hailed as comedy geniui and the contestants of reality shows take mastery over the visual arts, while former masters of the form waddle and blub like lobotomised toddlers in reality game shows.
Frankly I am surprised there has not been a massacre of the mediocre, a slaughter of the salacious, a pogrom of the puerile or a . . . I'll stop before I really put the "shoah" into showbiz.
I jest, of course. . . just about.

Keyser Soze said:
"I am astonished that the police did not make known to us, as the law requires they should have done, the preposterous claim that Jeffrey commissioned the murder of Angela Peppiatt."

I'm sure that Mr Archer knows all about preposterous claims, it's just that he's never been on the wrong end of one ;)

I also agree with the general sentiments about conspiracies and the "masses" and what passes for media these days but not about the Archer arranging a hit bit.

A fellow called Bernard O'Mahoney has written a few books on true crime. Check his site out I think he managed to dupe George into admitting to the crime or something like that.

www.bernardomahoney.com

I know he was well-known amongst shop-owners in the Fulham and Munster Roads as being a local oddball, but Barry George wasn't just a harmless eccentric though; he had a conviction for attempted rape some years before. I agree that the prosecution had a weak case; one piece of 'forensic', and everything else circumstantial. And it did seem odd that a supposed obsessive stalker of Jill Dando did not have photos/memorobilia relating to her, no evidence of his having written to her etc. (although the police did find nearly 3,000 photos he had secretly taken of women who he followed in the streets).

But...he didn't fully account for his whereabouts that morning, and appeared to have gone out of his way to make himself remembered by various people, as if setting up an alibi?

Still, yes, it was a weak case, and one wonders whether the CPS would have brough it to trial were the victim an 'unknown'.

PS for what its worth, Barry George has reportedly confessed to the Dando murder whilst in prison.

This in itself doesnt mean anything. An attention seeker would want the notoriety.

So is there an appeal planned in this case or has it been turned down?

New suspect in Jill Dando case

Form yesterdays sunday mirror
Source

2 October 2005
DANDO MURDER SENSATION
EXCLUSIVE: JILL MURDER SENSATION
By Michael Duffy And Andy Gardner
LANDSCAPE gardener Thomas Vorms is the man who is sensationally being named as Jill Dando's REAL killer.

And, in an extraordinary confession to the Sunday Mirror, he admits he LIED to police investigating the shooting and MADE UP an alibi.

The 41-year-old has also admitted that he was in the area at the time, has an intimate knowledge of guns, had a hatred for Dando AND knew where she lived.

Vorms was questioned by police when the TV presenter was shot dead outside her home in Fulham, South- West London on April 26, 1999.

His appearance matched the e-fit description of the suspect and he drove the same vehicle seen leaving her street after the murder.

But officers accepted he was not the murderer and he was never even arrested. Vorms himself denies being the killer.

Barry George, who was jailed for Jill's murder, has always insisted he is innocent. The killing is being investigated by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) and Vorms has been named as the real murderer in papers by George's legal team.

Last night Barry George's uncle Michael Bourke said: "This is a massively significant development.

"I hope that the CCRC will look into this matter as there has always been issues involving Mr V.

"I firmly believe that Barry will be freed one day. He is innocent."

Former squaddie Vorms has told our investigators that he:

-KNOWS how to re-activate firearms and still has the equipment in his garden shed.

-BELIEVES he would have been sent down for her murder if it had been between him and George.

-TRIED to shake detectives off his trail by forging a visitors' book at a school where he claimed he was working.

-THINKS George was not clever enough to have murdered the BBC's Crimewatch presenter.

-WORKED for a number of TV celebrities in their gardens, and said of Dando: "I couldn't stand the f***ing woman."

Married Vorms, who runs his own business in Peckham, South London, said: "If they put me and Barry George in the same court, I would be f***ed and George would walk free."

He added: "I ain't trying to get him off. The longer he stays there the better for me. What if he gets off - what happens then? And if it ain't him, who is it? There's a lot of people who don't think it's him. And I know the CCRC is investigating me."

Vorms had earlier been quizzed by police over suspicion that he was converting replica guns into fully-firing weapons in his shed, so he was an obvious line of inquiry for Dando detectives. They had also received a number of anonymous tip-offs connecting him to the shooting.

Vorms claims he was so worried about being "framed" for the murder that he lied about his whereabouts - saying he was gardening at a primary school eight miles away.

He had a contract with the school, but had not been there at the time of the shooting because it was raining. However, after being interviewed by police, he went into the school and forged an entry into the visitors' book for the day of the murder.

He said: "I just panicked and thought I was being lined up as the scapegoat. I told police I was at the school and I knew the detective would go down there and check the visitors' book.

"So I went down there and found the sign-in book and I changed the times. In and out - just like that. I panicked - they hadn't found the geezer who'd done it, I fit the description, I'd been involved with firearms, the police had already been around... do you know what I mean?"

Vorms' confession could help significantly in George's battle for freedom. Vorms said he had been visited by a male and a female police officer earlier this year and was told they were "reviewing" the initial investigation into his involvement.

He said: "They asked me what I was asked by the police officers at the time and why I had lied about my alibi."

He admitted to the Sunday Mirror that he was in fact in the area where Dando was murdered. He said: "It was raining that morning - if it's raining I can't work.

"I was in London - let's put it like that. I was working, I guess, but I wasn't far from where it (the shooting) happened."

The tattooed businessman also told the Sunday Mirror: "I've made some major f***-ups. I just panicked.

"I couldn't even stand the f***ing woman. Someone definitely knew she was going to be there.

"There's a dark side to this only she knows about. Whoever shot Jill Dando definitely hated her. Shot in the top of the head... that's vengeance."

The Sunday Mirror tracked Vorms down to his home in Peckham where he initially refused to answer the door - peeking through the curtains.

After being told we were journalists, he nervously invited us in to the red-brick terraced home.

We were ushered into a back room and he agreed he would tell us his side of the story. As he spoke, he chain-smoked and fidgeted anxiously. "I'm just worried about being in the frame for this," he said. "I want to clear my name."

But Vorms' confessions to the Sunday Mirror could be the key to overturning Barry George's conviction.

Vorms confirmed he was questioned by the Flying Squad who believed he was a DIY armourer.

He said: "They got search warrants. They thought I was activating or re-activating firearms. I have all the equipment to do it in my shed."

At the time of Dando's murder, police were trying to trace the driver of a blue Range Rover and published an e-fit of the main suspect.

A witness described a man seen looking directly at No26, Jill's home, on the morning of the murder.

He was about 5ft 10ins tall, medium build and wearing a dark top. Police said he was in his late-30s with black, straight, collar-length hair, possibly of Mediterranean appearance.

Vorms was tracked down by detectives after a series of anonymous calls named him as a suspect.

He was picked up by the police in February 2000 but not arrested - despite driving a Range Rover and being a dead ringer for the e-fit.

Vorms told of his meeting with the murder squad officers. He said: "The officer says 'the only reason we are here is because you've got a Range Rover on your drive'.

"He goes on, 'Where was ya?' I said, 'I ain't got a clue'. So he says, 'Well, find out'.

"A cop went to a place I was working and the bloke said I was there. So he found out I signed the book, but really I counterfeited it. It was in pen. They took the book."

Asked if he lied about being in the building, he replied: "And I lied about my movements - where I was."

Asked if he knew where Jill lived, he said: "Yeah."

He added: "I used to work in Fulham. I work for a lot of television celebrities."

VORMS claimed he told police that he'd lied months ago after the Sunday Mirror reported on Barry George's legal fight.

The report, in February 2004, revealed that George's lawyer's suggested "Mr V" as an "alternative killer".

Police believe the weapon used to murder Jill on the doorstep of her home was a modified replica handgun.

At the time the Metropolitan Police launched its biggest-ever murder probe, taking more than 1,000 statements.

Barry George, 45, was convicted at the Old Bailey in 2001 and has already lost one appeal.

Vorms believes George is innocent and "too simple" to be the killer.

He said: "I still think he is a fall guy. I think they went for the easy simpleton."

And he says George didn't have the gun knowledge to be the killer. He said: "You can tell it was re-activated because the bullets had a spiral on.

"I can't see George doing it. He was too disorganised. He didn't have a clue. It would have taken a trained killer."

Vorms believes Jill must have made an arrangement to meet her killer outside her home.

He said: "Nobody knew she was going to be there at 11.30am. She hardly went back to the house."

Vorms - who revealed he had been a squaddie in a tank regiment based in Dorset - now fears he could be "fitted up" if George was ever released.

He admitted the evidence would make him a prime suspect.

But he emphatically denies having anything to do with Jill's murder.

He said: "I ain't done it - that's it. But I cannot prove I ain't done it.

"I can only turn around and say I never shot Jill Dando."

[Emp edit: Fixing big link]

Well well, I never did believe that Barry George did it.

It took the police all that time and effort, with them describing how professional the killing was (to the point of saying that it could be a Serbian assassin), then in the end it just turned out to be the local nutcase.

Never seemed very probable to me. :hmm:

drbastard said:
Well well, I never did believe that Barry George did it.

It took the police all that time and effort, with them describing how professional the killing was (to the point of saying that it could be a Serbian assassin), then in the end it just turned out to be the local nutcase.

Never seemed very probable to me. :hmm:

I think that sometimes the police just have to put somebody away for a crime because of the pressure on them to solve a case. Pressure that is usually applied by the press. Usually vunerable people who can't defend themselves in a police interview, like stephen downing, stefan kiszko and barry george.

Wonder how no one was saw nothing or saw no guy running out of th street at daytime though.

Know he'd use a silencer to kill the noise of a gun a little bit though.

Didn't no one hear screams or her trying to get away from him either?

The whole Barry George case has always looked dodgy. There always was the "air of fitting up the local loony to get a result" about the whole thing. Even if he did do it ,the case wasn't strikingly strong and you wonder that if the victim hadn't been well known it would have been tossed out on grounds of reasonable doubt.

Mind you this new "witness" sound like a nutter himself...

Earlier thread here:

[Emp edit: Threads merged and link removed]

I'm rather glad he may not have done the deed - you see, I have a creeping suspicion that I am related to Barry George.:splat:

My mother's maiden name was George and she had an extended family of cousins all over Fulham, Hammersmith and the adjacent area.

Now, pass me that Luger.......... :twisted:

JILL DANDO 'ASSASSINATION'

..its back in the news. George's solicitors are making another appeal, as it appears new medical evidence shows that he simply' wasn't capable of killing Ms Dando'..
Always looked a dodgy one,this one. JD was tied up in something poilitical we didn't know about..some sort of spy ? WAS George stitched up?High profile conspiracy,this one.Renewed thoughts, folks ?
:roll:

Re: JILL DANDO 'ASSASSINATION'

spearjig1 said:
..its back in the news. George's solicitors are making another appeal, as it appears new medical evidence shows that he simply' wasn't capable of killing Ms Dando'..
Always looked a dodgy one,this one. JD was tied up in something poilitical we didn't know about..some sort of spy ? WAS George stitched up?High profile conspiracy,this one.Renewed thoughts, folks ?
:roll:

Story here: -

Dando's killer hopes for appeal

The solicitor for the man convicted of murdering former BBC presenter Jill Dando says new evidence undermines the safety of his conviction.

Barry George was convicted two years after Jill Dando was shot once in the head on her doorstep in London in 1999.

He was jailed for life but has always denied the murder. In 2002 he took his case to the Court of Appeal and lost.

His lawyers are seeking a new appeal partly because medical reports suggest he was incapable of the killing.

Examinations suggested he was not capable of committing the crime because of his mental disabilities, his legal team will argue.

A second plank to their case is that two new witnesses say they saw armed police at the scene when George was arrested, contrary to what police have insisted.

George's lawyers say this is significant because the only forensic evidence that linked George with the murder was a particle from gunshot residue.

He thinks the presence of armed officers and their involvement in his arrest was responsible for this residue.

The third part to the appeal is previously undisclosed expert profile reports which support George's defence.

His lawyers have presented their case to the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

It has the power to refer the case back to the Court of Appeal if it believes there is a real prospect the conviction will be quashed.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2006/03/25 06:11:03 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Back