• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey | Episode 1
Telegraph Video
13 December 2016 · 5:56pm

Joanna begins her Greek Odyssey at the Parthenon in Athens, created by the ancient Greeks two and a half thousand years ago. From here Joanna travels around the southern region of Greece from Athens to the Peloponnese, visiting spectacular mythical and historic sites left by this great civilisation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/wat...?playlist=series:joanna-lumleys-greek-odyssey

About 46 minutes, plus 3 more episodes.

Barely relevant, Rynner, but I was thinking about you this morning while listening to This Long Pursuit

It's about the death of Shelley while sailing his boat the Don Juan in the Gulf of Spezia. It features a discussion of his and his companions' seamanship skills and the suitability of the boat for sailing on the open sea.

I thought, I hope Rynner's listening to this!

So if you didn't catch it and think you might like it, you know what to do. ;)

Thanks for that, Scarg. I just listened to This Long Pursuit. Quite fascinating! Such a wealth of detail, yet even in modern times a drowning is frequently a mystery, and the full story never comes out. But in Shelley's case both his boat and contents, and its tender were recovered.

I'm not surprised that the wreck and its contents were found upright. As the hull filled and the weight of ballast took it down, the set sails would have acted as drogues, maintaining the upright position until it hit the sea bed.

In Episode 3 of the series, Joanna sails with a Greek shipping Magnate on his ketch Christianne B. Sort of a coincidence for me, as I sailed back from Antigua to Italy on a very similar boat (same boat?) in 1990.

EDIT: Later Joanna tells of her first trip tp Greece, to the Island of Poros. I've only sailed to Greece once, and Poros is where I went too!

Joanna is nearly the same age as me, just six months younger.

Last edited:
Back