• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Joanne Lees

I am watching a recent doco called 'Murder in the Outback' as I type this which recently aired here around a week and a half ago. It really has opened up a Pandora's Box leaving me with more questions than answers.
I've always felt that there was something fishy about this case, but I could never put my finger on it, now I'm even more confused.
Will we ever have the true answer? I doubt it.

Will we ever have the true answer? I doubt it.
I've sat for jury duty twice in the same courthouse where Murdoch was found guilty by unanimous decision, and in my experience no decision is ever an open and shut 100% certainty deal. You must choose your position based not on personality but on the evidence presented. There are always doubts.

I don't know if Murdoch is guilty or not. Only he currently knows. What I am sure of is that the tv show in question manipulates the viewer's understanding of events for its own ends. It isn't really interested in the truth.

I see where you're coming from. The programme did have quite a lot about how she "should have" reacted. Though as social animals we are naturally inclined to read into how people behave, and extrapolate from that. But no, that's not hard evidence of anything.

The programme wasn't just about her though, it didn't just depend on dismantling the accounts she gave as evidence. You say the truck driver's claims are unsubstantiated but her evidence was likewise her testimony (is that right?). I'm not sure that the importance of her 'being left alone', outbalances the possibility that somebody's in jail for decades for something they didn't do, and the need to look at that more closely?

It was the roadside evidence that intrigued me most, and you say what they said in the documentary was factually incorrect - where can I find the facts to compare it against (that is to say, where do you recommend people who are interested take their facts)?

YEah the documentary is presented rather as 'entertainment' which is a bit revolting. But it's a gripping 'story' isn't it, that's why it got so much coverage at the time.

Last edited:
It's a while since I watched that doc, but wasn't the unspoken implication that it may have had something to do with the other man she had been seeing? I seem to remember at some point one witness is shown a photograph of somebody and he says, Yes, that's him - but then we're not told who the picture is of. That seemed strange, unless I'm misremembering it.

Back