• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Joe Meek & The Talking Cat

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Years ago, I saw an 'Arena' documentary on the record producer Joe Meek which played part of a tape he made of a talking (and presumably possessed) cat, as detailed here

It was in his proto-Goth period too that Joe would wander about graveyards at night with his portable tape recorder, searching for voices and sounds of the other side. One famous recording, of a cat Joe believes is trying to talk to him, survives.

Does anyone know if this recording is available to download?

Some one might help me remember the haunting where poltergeist-like activity was preceded by the recently neutered cat blurting racial insults(dirty Greek, nasty Frenchman, or something such). That always creeped me out really bad for some reason.

Could you be thinking of Gef the talking mongoose that was connected with poltergeist activity some time in the early 60s, (if memory serves). His language was rather colorful and insulting.

Midnight said:
Could you be thinking of Gef the talking mongoose that was connected with poltergeist activity some time in the early 60s, (if memory serves). His language was rather colorful and insulting.

Gef was around in the 1930's I think, on the Isle of Man.

There was a stray that used to stay with us a long time ago, and right before he was going to yak up a hairball he'd do this sound that was almost exectly like a childs voice saying "Yine-ey Yine-ey Yine-ey Yine-ey"

Scared the ten bells of sh*t out of me the first time he did it...

I don't know that the cat has been released commercially, but on the recording "I Take It That We're Through" by the Riot Squad, he claimed at the fade-out he could hear a voice saying "hello".

Cavynaut said:
Gef was around in the 1930's I think, on the Isle of Man.
I didn't realize that, I read the story as a child in the 60's and assumed it was current. :oops:

I don't know that the cat has been released commercially, but on the recording "I Take It That We're Through" by the Riot Squad, he claimed at the fade-out he could hear a voice saying "hello".

Here is the record, but I have to say that I can't really hear it:

It's a long shot calling that a talking cat. You hear what you want to hear possibly.

Last edited:
It's a long shot calling that a talking cat. You hear what you want to hear possibly.

Cats are capable of producing a wide range of vocalizations many aimed at humans. Some breeds are more "talkative" than others and may have been the result of selection over the years since domestication first appeared 10, 000 years ago.

There is an ongoing study in I think Sweden that is researching cat communication, particularly with humans. Will check it out when I have more time.

The above audio sounds like a cat utilizing miaows to gain attention from humans. There is a vague resemblance to human speech but it's more likely due to learned behavior, (the cat or it's ancestors stumbled on it, it got results, cat/cats continued to use it), rather than possession.

edit: listening to it again it sounds nothing like "help me" or "hello" both of which of course is reinforced by the visual prompts on the you tube clip. Sounds more like a trill-meow. the "Eh" followed by a typical meow "eowww". Translated "'It's me, I'd like food/the door open/a fuss, please".

Last edited:
Back