• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Carpenter

Problem is with a lot of these reissues is that they end up being expensive imports, region locked.

Problem is with a lot of these reissues is that they end up being expensive imports, region locked.

Studio Canal are European, and these are UK releases.

Of course, you could do what I did, and buy a multi-region player for those tempting Region A discs.

Studio Canal are European, and these are UK releases.

Of course, you could do what I did, and buy a multi-region player for those tempting Region A discs.
Guess I could. I normally use my PS4 or laptop.

A clip from the new Carpenter produced HALLOWEEN ..

It's a stone cold classic .. and I see this sequel is keeping with H20's "Mom, it was a long time ago, just get over it!." theme.

But it's not keeping with H20! How many times is it now that they've dropped masses of continuity from the sequels? Three times? Four? Anyway, Kim Newman says it's surprisingly good (and Michael's not her brother anymore).

Big Trouble in Little China was a really good film.
Probably the only reason to do a remake was that the SFX and imagery in the original now looks a little dated (but not much).

The reason they want to do a remake is to use it to cash in on Dwayne Johnson's popularity before it passes (or he goes into politics).

The reason they want to do a remake is to use it to cash in on Dwayne Johnson's popularity before it passes (or he goes into politics).
Yeah, he's on a roll right now. I think he's the new Arnie replacement.

Likewise. I meant rather than many people missed the point of BTILC, thinking it a poor action movie, rather than a pastiche of one.

The bit where Jack Burton knocks himself out just before the big action scene was hilarious to me as a teenager, you just didn't see that in action movies until then. Or after.

The bit where Jack Burton knocks himself out just before the big action scene was hilarious to me as a teenager, you just didn't see that in action movies until then. Or after.
Wang: You ready, Jack?
Jack: I was born ready.

I watched the new HALLOWEEN today, it has a very 80's feel to it and a pretty uncomplicated story line, definitely made with fans of the original Halloween 2 IMO. The final scenes in Laurie's house reminded me of Ash walking around the cabin with his shotgun .. there's even a similar pendulum clock on the wall in one room. I don't want to give any spoilers away although I can see how there could be a sequel if they cheat and re tell this films ending.

I'd give it 7 out of 10, I still prefer H20 with the dumb waiter scene.

edit: this review is pretty spot on IMO, it does include some mild spoilers although it doesn't give away the ending:

Last edited:
I've been working to this music.

I've never seen the film, but it seems to be unpopular with a notable cult following. Opinions?

I still haven't watched Halloween. Mrs Yith made me turn off The Thing a couple of Hallowe'ens ago and won't watch any of his films.

She made it up to the point where the thing emerges from the dog and slaughters the other dogs and then started gasping covering her eyes.

Mrs Yith made me turn off The Thing a couple of Hallowe'ens ago and won't watch any of his films.

She made it up to the point where the thing emerges from the dog and slaughters the other dogs and then started gasping covering her eyes.

Women! The Thing a great film - the tension & paranoia which quickly emerges as they all start suspecting each other. They're stuck in a frozen remote location with no way out. The effects are pretty bloody good for time as well - no CGI. The soundtrack is also suitably dark & menacing, by Carpenter himself I think. The early scenes with the dog are full of foreboding before the mayhem starts. Watch it on your own.

Women! The Thing a great film - the tension & paranoia which quickly emerges as they all start suspecting each other. They're stuck in a frozen remote location with no way out. The effects are pretty bloody good for time as well - no CGI. The soundtrack is also suitably dark & menacing, by Carpenter himself I think. The early scenes with the dog are full of foreboding before the mayhem starts. Watch it on your own.

Ah, I mislead you.

I have seen The Thing myself before, but after trying to get the Mrs to watch it she won't consider Halloween.

Fair enough. I don't think there's that much gore in Halloween though, if that's what she's objecting to.

Halloween's a 15 certificate now! Used to be an 18 when I first saw it.

These Millenials (and more recent!) - tougher than we were when I was a wean.

*wanders off muttering about jumpers for goalposts*

I've been working to this music.

I've never seen the film, but it seems to be unpopular with a notable cult following. Opinions?

I still haven't watched Halloween. Mrs Yith made me turn off The Thing a couple of Hallowe'ens ago and won't watch any of his films.

Excellent film (POD), comments on traditional Catholicism, good actors, good script and v good effects except that the son of Satan apparently lives in a large lava lamp. Cameos by Joanna Merlin and Alice cooper. Worth watching.

Mrs.Yith missed the best part. Good script and acting. But if she couldn't get past the dogs...

Back