• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Keely

Of course you realise that these water motors simply convert water mains pressure into work; nothing impossible about that yet. If Keely was piggybacking his devices on the water pressure provided by the local utilities company then that is ingenious, but dishonest.

Every answer in this puzzle brings forth more questions:

1.What do they mean by “small water motor of peculiar construction”, when these things were on sale to all and sundry; obviously not the ones in your link? Why not use a standard electric motor of the time which is also quiet, unobtrusive and more powerful?

2.A quarter horse-power is inadequate to drive a machine-shop or the so called “theatrical demonstrations” – and this was from a large water motor. The one in question is said to be small. They were nothing more than enclosed water wheels. If they had the power that you seem to be suggesting, then why were they not used to drive all machinery?

3.In your link http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/keely/keely.htm we see that one of Keely's motors is being driven by a belt. But, you see these things were regularly inspected by scientists and engineers and would it be stretching credence to suggest that they would not have noticed this most unsophisticated of trickery, when every machine of the time was driven in just this way?

4.Keely's celebrity was such that he made the national press on a regular basis. He seems to have pulled the wool over the eyes of a huge number of people in his time for a period of more than twenty five years. These people included the top scientists and engineers and countless others including the Keely Motor Company directors and the experts appointed by them to oversee his work. The only reason that the Motor company went along with the fraud claim was because, once the fraud was announced and accepted they would have been called co-conspirators.

Fort had this to say:
"anybody who has ever tried to keep a secret for 24 hours, will marvel at this story of an impostor who, against all the forces of revelation, such as gas men, and coal men, and other persons who get into cellars-against inquisitive neighbours, and, if possible, even more inquisitive newspaper-men against disappointed stockholders and outraged conventionalists - kept secret, for twenty four years, his engine in the cellar”.

"It made no difference what else came out. Taboo had, or pretended it had, something to base itself on. Almost all people of all eras are hypnotics. Their beliefs are induced beliefs. The proper authorities saw to it that the proper belief should be induced, and people believed properly. " Wild Talents. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This house with its apparent secrets reminds me of another house which was roughly contemporary with Mr Keely;

The Murder Castle of H H Holmes.

How Mr Holmes kept his secret compartments, stairs and torture chambers from the prying eyes of "gas men, and coal men, and other persons who get into cellars... inquisitive neighbours, and, ...even more inquisitive newspaper-men" is an incredible feat, and one he seems to acheived single handedly.

So these sort of things do happen.

Thanks for that eburacum, a good read and a new one for me. It goes to show that a house is not a Holmes. :cry:

... One of the many quotes attributed to Keely (above) is that he said that, if there was an extreme sceptic in his audience, the machines refused to operate. The same effect is recorded by Brian Inglis in his book Natural and Supernatural. I must admit that I have had something of the same experience myself, to maybe a lesser extent. We must all have experienced the malaise of the negative attitude of a bystander when we are trying to achieve something difficult.

Academia has found that it gets higher scores for extrasensory perception with certain personality types, the disbelievers of course, scoring lower.

My own slant on this is that extreme scepticism is a psi effect in it's own right. It has the ability to cancel the supernatural efforts of others and is used in a maybe, subconscious way to achieve just this goal, thereby supporting the sceptic with the very thing that he is sceptical about; a paradox?

I'm sure that this is testable, but I can't imagine any sceptics volunteering for it.

... Around the 1930's aether was killed off by Einstein and with it went the golden age of invention.

The answer to the power crisis (on a nearby thread) was solved by Tesla, but because aether no longer existed, it became impossible to use his ideas.

This is the reason our electricity bills are so expensive and to a large extent why there is so much third world poverty...the energy dictatorship.

Other aether energy pioneers were hounded into extinction at the time, the most well known being John Keely who dared to defy the dogma of the science community by suggesting that energy can be derived from cavitation.

The point of all of this being, that science has spent more than a hundred years, hard at work, making our electrical power expensive. ...

DENIES KEELY WAS AN IMPOSTOR

PRESIDENT OF THE MOTOR COMPANY DEFENDED THE DEAD INVENTOR.

NYT -January 26, 1898 - President B. L. Ackerman of the Keely Motor Company, after a meeting of the Board of Directors of the company held yesterday at the office of the Treasurer of the company at 31 Broad Street, gave out a statement denying the published assertions that compressed air or electricity was the force used by Keely in his much-talked-of motor. The statement claims that the tubes spoken of were discarded by Keely many years ago and that in all his experiments since 1887 solid wires only have been used. Up to that time, it is stated, he was working upon a theory of etheric or vaporic force and used the tubes for the conveyance of this force; but after 1887 he became convinced that he had discovered something still more perfect in what he called vibratory sympathy. It was said that a concealed electric wire was found when Keelys workshop was recently cleared out. This President Ackerman states was the remnant of the wires of a burglar alarm, and was in no way connected with the force used in the Keely motor. The statement reviews at length the various assertions recently made tending to show that Keely was nothing more than a successful impostor, denies all these assertions and declares positively that there was no trickery about any of the results that Keely claimed to have obtained.

http://www.svpvril.com/svpweb6.html

The press cutting below is in support of Keely by Ackerman, the president of the Keely Motor Company who spent large amounts of money on his motors. Written at a time when Keely was being attacked and besmirched by academics and the press.

Keely was obviously doing valuable work and all of the debunking that occurred at the time and continues to today can be shown to be a complete fabrication.

I posted this on page 3 as a clear example of aether science and technology by Keely.
There has been no discussion what-so-ever on this and little on the subject of aether science itself, apart from what I've contributed myself.
Each example is sidetracked by another topic.

NYT -January 26, 1898 - President B. L. Ackerman of the Keely Motor Company, after a meeting of the Board of Directors of the company held yesterday at the office of the Treasurer of the company at 31 Broad Street, gave out a statement denying the published assertions that compressed air or electricity was the force used by Keely in his much-talked-of motor. The statement claims that the tubes spoken of were discarded by Keely many years ago and that in all his experiments since 1887 solid wires only have been used. Up to that time, it is stated, he was working upon a theory of etheric or vaporic force and used the tubes for the conveyance of this force; but after 1887 he became convinced that he had discovered something still more perfect in what he called vibratory sympathy. It was said that a concealed electric wire was found when Keely's workshop was recently cleared out. This President Ackerman states was the remnant of the wires of a burglar alarm, and was in no way connected with the force used in the Keely motor. The statement reviews at length the various assertions recently made tending to show that Keely was nothing more than a successful impostor, denies all these assertions and declares positively that there was no trickery about any of the results that Keely claimed to have obtained.
I can well understand why no one wants to discuss such things considering the amount of debunking that's gone on over the years, all based on false reports by academia.

... In fact, thinking about it, Keely is a prime example of a latter-day Faraday.

Keely's motors were inspected by countless engineers and scientists of the day who never found a shred of evidence of fraud.

He formulated an atomic theory very like the standard theory we use today, although it was some ten years in advance. Strange behaviour for a confidence trickster.

http://pondscienceinstitute.on-rev.com/ ... plishments

Maybe we could examine the evidence found on debunking sites and see if any of it is true?

Clues to the origin of the Keely debunking can be found here:

http://keelynet.com/keely/danart1.txt

Ghostisfort said:
The press cutting below is in support of Keely by Ackerman, the president of the Keely Motor Company who spent large amounts of money on his motors. Written at a time when Keely was being attacked and besmirched by academics and the press.

Keely was obviously doing valuable work and all of the debunking that occurred at the time and continues to today can be shown to be a complete fabrication.

I posted this on page 3 as a clear example of aether science and technology by Keely.
There has been no discussion what-so-ever on this and little on the subject of aether science itself, apart from what I've contributed myself.
Each example is sidetracked by another topic.

NYT -January 26, 1898 - President B. L. Ackerman of the Keely Motor Company, after a meeting of the Board of Directors of the company held yesterday at the office of the Treasurer of the company at 31 Broad Street, gave out a statement denying the published assertions that compressed air or electricity was the force used by Keely in his much-talked-of motor. The statement claims that the tubes spoken of were discarded by Keely many years ago and that in all his experiments since 1887 solid wires only have been used. Up to that time, it is stated, he was working upon a theory of etheric or vaporic force and used the tubes for the conveyance of this force; but after 1887 he became convinced that he had discovered something still more perfect in what he called vibratory sympathy. It was said that a concealed electric wire was found when Keely's workshop was recently cleared out. This President Ackerman states was the remnant of the wires of a burglar alarm, and was in no way connected with the force used in the Keely motor. The statement reviews at length the various assertions recently made tending to show that Keely was nothing more than a successful impostor, denies all these assertions and declares positively that there was no trickery about any of the results that Keely claimed to have obtained.
I can well understand why no one wants to discuss such things considering the amount of debunking that's gone on over the years, all based on false reports by academia.

The section I've highlighted might explain why no-one bothered to comment on this statement. As I read it, up to 1887, Keely was involved in aetheric research (for want of a better phrase), but after 1887, he abandoned said research to pursue a different path. This, to me at least, doesn't move your argument forward.

Cultjunky said:
The section I've highlighted might explain why no-one bothered to comment on this statement. As I read it, up to 1887, Keely was involved in aetheric research (for want of a better phrase), but after 1887, he abandoned said research to pursue a different path. This, to me at least, doesn't move your argument forward.
Yes, I can see where someone unfamiliar with Keely would think this.
Keely's work on his motors - and there were many - was an evolutionary process. He used tubes at one point and then he used solid wires. I can assure you that he worked on the same project until shortly before he died.

The finding of short lengths of tube in his workshop shortly after his death was used a poor proof that Keely had used compressed air to run his motors. His detractors literally ripped his workshop apart looking for evidence.

The large number of motors Keely had built by engineering companies, must have cost a fortune and it's hard to see why someone who was a fraud would spend so much of his money. As I said before, there is an excellent case against the debunkers.

There are several video's on You Tube by Dale Pond who explains Keely's work and history.

... the chairman of the Keely Motor Company was bound to defend Keely, people have a great capacity for denying the obvious when they've been conned.

As promised to my detractors, Cavitation and Keely.
Cavitation is not something unknown to science and there is even speculation that it may become a future power source:
Bubble fusion, also known as sonofusion, is the non-technical name for a nuclear fusion reaction hypothesized to occur during a high-pressure version of sonoluminescence, an extreme form of acoustic cavitation. Officially, this reaction is termed acoustic inertial confinement fusion (AICF) (see ICF) since the inertia of the collapsing bubble wall confines the energy, causing an extreme rise in temperature. The high temperatures that sonoluminescence can produce raise the possibility that it might be a means to achieve thermonuclear fusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_fusion
What do you know? John Ernst Worrell Keely did all this a hundred years ago and for his pains, he was called a charlatan.

It all started with the ballooning, Montgolfier brothers who used the first recorded ram pump. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_ram
Keely used the same principle to make his motors mote. For some unexplained reason he fell foul of the scientists of his day, who, on his death wasted no time in tearing apart his workshop to find the compressed air pipes that they theorised drove his motors.

The trouble with theory is that it often fails to take reality into account: All compressed air and especially at the volume and pressures Keely was using it, needs a compressor. In my experience they are noisy brutes and even in our enlightened times they often need a soundproofed room of their own.
No one ever found one, or even thought to look for one?

They found a pressure vessel in the cellar. But everyone who knew Keely also knew about the vessel and its history. All were in agreement that Keely put it there because it cluttered up his workshop. It was an old abandoned project, they said.

They found hidden belts in the wall, but every machine shop of the day had belts. They were quite dangerous and Keely had a procession of visitors. "How about we cover the belts to stop them tearing someone's suit?" This was normal practice at the time.

The famous graphic that was originally published by The New York Journal and shows 'Keely's deceit', also has something of interest. It can be found here and at other debunking sites: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/keely/keely.htm
Close to the bottom of the picture is the smoking gun, described as a Water Motor and also by a newspaper of the time as "a water motor of unusual design". The problem with the debunkers is that they rarely do any homework, relying on other debunkers. The Water Motor of unusual design, is none other than a Keely, cavitation driven motor, hidden in full view.

... Also of interest may be this bizarre tale of John Keelys floating spheres:
Music of the Spheres
Link is dead. ... See later post in this thread for the text of the MIA webpage. ...

Here's the text of the defunct webpage, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...
The Harmony of the Spheres ~

Keely had the honor of exhibiting his Musical Globe at the World's Fair in the late 1880's. The Musical Globe was a spherical device which had one side painted white and the other painted black. When properly tuned, it could be excited by the simple act of playing a harmonica. This would cause the Globe to slowly spin under its own power which was derived from an arrangement of vibrating components within the sphere.

John Jacob Astor and his entourage were visiting the various exhibits and had seen little of novelty or interest. However, they did find Keely's exhibit intriguing. Keely immediately recognized who Mr. Astor was (and the extent of his fortune) and spoke with him in private. Keely told Mr. Astor that the "good stuff" was in his laboratory and he would be only too happy to demonstrate a fascinating experiment if Mr. Astor could manage to visit the lab. Being bored with the rest of the fair, Mr. Astor decided to take Keely up on the offer and went to the lab.

Now there is a picture taken in Keely's lab which has been of interest since we first saw it. There is no description or explanation of what the device is but this story seems to have something relating to it, as you can clearly see when looking at the device in the photo. Shown is a large metal sphere supported in a circular ring. An outer ring surrounds the inner and supports a number of various sized smaller spheres.

Keely asked that Mr. Astor stand back and watch closely. He then went to one of his compound devices and began making adjustments. When the siren or whatever type of excitation he used was engaged, the large sphere began to slowly spin on its axis in the inside. Within minutes, the smaller spheres each began to spin on their axis at rates proportionate to their diameter. In addition, the smaller spheres began to orbit the larger central sphere. The smaller ones spun faster, the larger ones slower, and all seemed to be related to the large sphere spinning on its axis in the center ring.

After a few minutes of this, the large sphere began to slowly rise into the air and with it, the smaller spheres also rose, all the while spinning on their own axis and orbiting the large sphere. There seemed to be some sort of equator generated by the large sphere which supported the smaller spheres. At a certain spot, the large sphere stopped rising and continued to spin while the smaller spheres of varying size began to fan out. Each reached a specific orbit which appeared to be a DIRECT ANALOGUE to our SOLAR SYSTEM.

Just picture this, Keely standing there operating his machine, John Astor standing with his mouth open, both of them watching this miniature version of the solar system floating about the room. Astor reached up and grabbed hold of one of the smaller globes. It held him off the floor and continued to orbit about the central sphere with no diminution of speed or height, Astor laughing gleefully as he spun about the room. He eventually let go and walked over to Keely to ask about how this miracle was done. Keely said that he had indeed modelled the solar systend that each sphere was harmonically related in size and frequency to the planets and sun of our system. When his instrument was properly adjusted and excited, a natural sympathetic response was generated in each of the spheres to generate the same effect which makes the worlds move.

Astor asked what would happen if one of the spheres were to lose control. Keely assured him that the chance of this happening was as remote as if one of the planets in our system were to drop out of orbit. However, Keely had anticipated such a problem and an experiment had been done to see what the effect might be. An enharmonious chord was set in to the compound instrument which would cause the sphere representing the Earth to lose its "tether" to our central sun.

When the chord was played, the Earth sphere slowly moved in a straight line, creating a hole through the wall of the lab and disappeared from site. Seconds later, Keely readjusted the machine to an orderly pattern which caused the sphere to retrace its path and return to the proper orbit.

Astor was dumbfounded by the entire experience. We have no further information on this particular story, so we don't know if Keely got funding or whatever.

(Source: Keely-Net BBS / Vanguard Sciences}

Back