• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Leonard Orr: The Pillow Pyro

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
John Leonard Orr [P13502], currently residing at California State Prison, Centinela, is possibly the worst American serial arsonist.of the Twentieth Century. His nickname comes from one of his methods of ignition. It has been claimed that Orr set nearly 2,000 fires between 1984 and 1991 that caused millions of dollars in damages and cost four people their lives, but there are also a number of remarkable facets to his case.

At the time Orr was criminally active he was employed by the Glendale Fire Department in Southern California as fire captain and fire investigator.

While active he penned a novel entitled Points of Origin (the manuscript of which was discovered during a search of his home). This novel is the story of a firefighter who doubled as a serial arsonist.

The book has since been published:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/0741406365/RJZFZYIFAOSQE/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_rvw_5?ie=UTF8&cursor=5

Detailed descriptions of fires started in the book would--predictably--turn out to match those Orr himself had committed.

In his capacity as a fire investigator he would attend professional conferences in the region. He would commit acts of arson on journeys to and from these meetings. This activity would later be instrumental in his capture.

He would set small fires often in the grassy hills, in order to draw firefighters away, leaving fires he had set in more congested areas unattended. It has been estimated that following his arrest the number of brush fires in the area dropped by 90%. He favoured public buildings that were open and occupied--perhaps such targets were more thrilling as a challenge.

The fire he started in South Pasadena on 10 October 1984 in a hardware store (within a shopping plaza) killed four people, including a 17-year-old employee and a two-year-old baby. A combined team of fire investigators judged the cause to have been an electrical fault; Orr himself, in his professional capacity, demured, insisting that the cause had certainly been arson.

Orr maintains his innocence despite having been convicted with fingerprint evidence and having had his vehicle tracked to the site of multiple suspicious fires.

Fuller details, especially including his identification, apprehension and prosecution here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leonard_Orr

Rather topical considering what's happening on Saddleworth Moor. Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious; I imagine that's rather the point!

I used to live in a street of very old timber-framed houses (lovely exposed beams and everything) which could easily have burned down after some numpty started a fire that nearly destroyed the business it was set in as well as the beautiful historic cottages. The culprit turned out to be a serial arsonist who was also a part-time fireman at the nearby station!

He went to prison, but I think he's been out for ages now.

Last edited:
...or just so deranged with a species of megalomnia that they were no longer quite in touch with reality.

It's a 'well known fact' (in other words it might be bollocks) that many arsonists derive an almost - if not actual - sexual excitement from setting fires*. In which case it might be argued that they're suffering from a diagnosable mental/behavoural disorder. Doesn't inspire much sympathy in me, I'm afraid.

* I think I may've picked up this idea from watching Crown Court when I was off school sick.

Last edited:
Rather topical considering what's happening on Saddleworth Moor. Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious; I imagine that's rather the point!

Coincidence.

I'm only dimly aware that there's some kind of wild fire situation because of a tangental story about the Moors Murders--I don't have any of the details, but I presume from your post it's serious.

That's simply incomprehensible. I've long held that rates of actual insanity are far higher than documented. Huge elemental events like this bring them to the surface, I suspect.

Sickening. Bit like the sub-human vermin who attack fire-fighters and fire engines with bricks:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/fire-engine-attacked-oldham-blaze-10295115

It's not really insane if they are the ones who started the original fires as well.

There are major fires of this kind all over the country - near me:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/no...irefighters-battling-bangor-mountain-14856881

I could see the smoke from that one yesterday.

If you read down the article you will see that here as well lunatics are trying to restart the fires. I don't get it. I like a good bonfire as much as the next pyromaniac, but not under the current weather conditions.

Quite! This is quite a common bit of human behaviour isn't it? Aren't forest fires also often started or 'enhanced' by arsonists?

It must be about the feeling of power as much as a desire to destroy stuff. And (again this is all from memory) I think they often get caught as they can't resist hanging around to enjoy their handiwork when the emergency services turn up.

I'm no psychologist so I reckon just birch 'em in the market square. With live streaming.

That's simply incomprehensible. I've long held that rates of actual insanity are far higher than documented. Huge elemental events like this bring them to the surface, I suspect.

Yes indeed. Whenever a politician or amateur sociologist opines that "well of course the vast majority - 99.9999999999% - of people in our community are extremely decent and well-balanced" I tend to raise an quizzical eyebrow.

Or I would if I could. I've never got the hang of it.

I'm no psychologist so I reckon just birch 'em in the market square. With live streaming.
No...catch them, then set fire to them.

Back