• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Looks like someone spent a lot of time creating a fantasy, war and pestilence prevail, and they still haven't cured the common cold.
Stop the World, I want to get off.

His predictions are interesting - cleverly ambiguous in the main, and the last tract does read alarmingly like an armed fundie's ten commandments...

Certainly merits a good look, doesn't it?

stu neville said:
Certainly merits a good look, doesn't it?

Havent been able to stop reading it....

I was kinda hoping someone would come along and tell me its all just some frat boys idea of a joke....

The bit about the UNIX glitch is well known to Linux Geeks, mind you.

And they do tend to be at the smarter, dreaming pole, end of the spectrum. ;)

Originally posted by Billyjoe
I was kinda hoping someone would come along and tell me its all just some frat boys idea of a joke....

Which of course it is, after all we all know that time travel is impossible.

They told the Wright brothers it couldn't be done, but would they listen.

Hmm - not convinced. He describes a significant nuclear exchange but it seems that in general life goes on and no-one's much the worse for it (in the US anyway). The bits about the war don't have any logic to them and seem to be more of a product of someone who lacks an understanding of politics (i.e. gets all their info on such things from TV). Still, it's an interesting voyage through someone else's imagination ;)

And it's not as outright daft as the Montauk Project :D

There's a page here about Kerr Black Holes (to which Titor refers us!), for those of you who enjoy boggling your minds! :)

But please don't ask me any questions about it - the physics and maths is out of my league. Some pretty diagrams, though!

The big question is, if he was a Time Traveller, why'd he go to Art Bell's forum, and not go public to anyone. I think the fact that he only psoted palces where there's a core of people who would at least give him the benefit of the doubt. And enough wackos to give him a good laugh.

As for his predictions, well....

A US Civil War in less than 2 years? A population doesn't just stand up one day and decide it's going to rebel. There's has to be a reason, which I don't see. Also, you can't have an 'on-again, off-again' Civil War, really. Either the Governemnt crushes it, or the Government is overthrown.
Finally, it would be impossible for the US to really have a Civil War. The States and Federla Gov't depend on eachother too much. Not to mention that unless the military splits in half, and sort of armed rebellion would be easily crushed.

Nope, sounds like a computer geek looking to screw with a few people's heads.

Billyjoe said:
Titor ye not! ;) (Sorry, couldn't help it. Damn you, Frankie Howard. :) )

Here's another Titor website prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

BTW, there are no Titors in my phone book - anyone else got one?

Probably a contraction of Time Travellor, or summat.

Ah yes, an opinion backed up on this interesting page:
http://johntitor.strategicbrains.com/CopyrightProof.cfm

Well, we'll know for sure in a couple of years!
(Subject to caveat in an earlier post of mine!)

(he can never return to the exact same worldline he left in 2036, but he can come very close).

So when he returns there will be two of him because he has returned to a slightly different reality, in fact there may be multiple's of him if all the titor's had the same idea as him...
Sorry I don't buy it.

p.younger said:
(he can never return to the exact same worldline he left in 2036, but he can come very close).

So when he returns there will be two of him because he has returned to a slightly different reality, in fact there may be multiple's of him if all the titor's had the same idea as him...
No, each reality (in the multiple worlds interpretation of Quantum physics) is unique: there is no necessity for duplicates.

He leaves World A. and goes into its past, where his presence changes it. It subsequently develops into World B. When he returns to his 'own time', he does so in World C (which he hopes is sufficiently like World A!) - which has evolved from another World A in which he never travelled into the past.

I hope that clears up this little misunderstanding! :D

Possibly! :) But The Many Worlds interpretation of quantum theory is accepted as mathematically valid by many physicists, even though there is unease that there is no way of demonstrating it. (Although this may be what Titor's machine is showing us, if the whole thing's not a scam.)

The unease is mainly in what I would term the right wing 'Occam's Razor' faction, who feel it is unnecessary to postulate an infinite number of universes when we only appear to experience one.

To qualify my previous speculations even more, maybe it is actually impossible to travel to the past of World A, but what happens is that the time traveller moves sideways into world B, which is very similar to World A but delayed, so that it's 1999 in World B when it's 2036 or whatever in World A.

It's truly mind boggling to contemplate the infinity of Worlds possible in the Many Worlds interpretation. I suppose the minimum difference would be between two worlds where, in a lump of uranium somewhere, one radioactive atom decays a millisecond sooner than it's counterpart in the parallel world. This would (probably) make no difference at all to activities on the human level, so if a time traveller from World A went to the past of such a close World B, it would, for all practical purposes, be identical with his past. But of course his presence in World B would change the future evolution of that world, so Worlds A and B would then begin to have diverging histories.

Or, to be even more pedantic, both worlds A and B have diverging histories from the point when the traveller makes a decision whether to go or not. At every decision point, or point of quantum randomness, world lines bifurcate. It's important to realise that most worlds will be totally unlike ours, with no place for humans or even life itself.

Just to prove I'm not making all this up myself, here's a Google Search on Many Worlds and Quantum physics which returns over 6,800 pages! Plenty of reading there for those who want to delve deeper. No doubt some pages will be too technical, but most will have a more popular approach.

EDIT: In fact, the first one on the list
http://www.station1.net/DouglasJones/many.htm
gives a general introduction, with links to more detailed stuff.
polls have been taken among theorists who study such things, and have revealed that most of them believe that the Many-Worlds Interpretation represents, in some sense, an accurate description of the way the world really is. The polls also show that many of them would rather not discuss the subject.

rynner said:
He leaves World A. and goes into its past, where his presence changes it. It subsequently develops into World B. When he returns to his 'own time', he does so in World C (which he hopes is sufficiently like World A!) - which has evolved from another World A in which he never travelled into the past.

I hope that clears up this little misunderstanding! :D

John claims that he traveled to 1975 first then forward to 2001, to ensure that he can get closer to home (or whatever) when he left this time he traveled back to 1974 therefore to a worldline that hadnt been effected by his infulence and then forward in time.....that sites giving me a head ache.

Surely if the many worlds therory is (for arguments sake) correct, then why is it assumed that the worlds will be almost identical, and therefore unrecognisable to the traveller as a different time line? It would be equally plausible for the second time line to be one where the planet has no life on it due to some cosmic or man made catastrophy? Which would put me of trying for a start!!
Suddenly reminded of Red Dwarf episode with the extra Rimmer

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast":cool:

Fasicinating site.

Appears to me to be the result of an NWO buff reading K-Pax.

Seaweed said:
Surely if the many worlds therory is (for arguments sake) correct, then why is it assumed that the worlds will be almost identical, and therefore unrecognisable to the traveller as a different time line?

Perhaps just one thing in the parallel world being vistited is in fact different, so perhaps even a detailed look at that world would not bring the difference to light. It might be extremely subtle, perhaps even not something readily visible.

Seaweed said:
Surely if the many worlds therory is (for arguments sake) correct, then why is it assumed that the worlds will be almost identical, and therefore unrecognisable to the traveller as a different time line? It would be equally plausible for the second time line to be one where the planet has no life on it due to some cosmic or man made catastrophy? Which would put me of trying for a start!!
Suddenly reminded of Red Dwarf episode with the extra Rimmer

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast":cool:

Yup true, John does allow that as a possiblity but there are devices within his time machine that he describes which measure the gravity of the area and therefore the % divergence from his timeline that allow him to drop out of transport in a world that is only 2% different than his own, however the further back in time that you travel the harder it is to control the % divergence.

Bilderberger said:
Fasicinating site.

Appears to me to be the result of an NWO buff reading K-Pax.

I had him down as someone who's pinched the backstory of The Terminator (or Harlan Ellison's stories 'Soldier' and 'Demon with a Glass Hand' from which Terminator is allegedly ripped-off)

Part of me feels that he's genuine, part of me remains sceptical. It's the perfect delusional fantasy requiring no external evidence or contradiction.

That said his predictions make me hope he's not what he claims to be or that a 2% divergence is sufficent to avoid all out war.

I just think theres something disturbing about the cold and emotionless manner in which he comes across in his posts.

Billyjoe said:
I just think theres something disturbing about the cold and emotionless manner in which he comes across in his posts.

Exactly - hence the K-Pax reference.

The question for me is - Does the person who did all this actually believe he is/was from the future - or is it someone having a laugh (and with a lot of time to spare)?

Also, not a dissimilar idea to this thread.............

http://www.forteantimesmag.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10250

Bilderberger said:
Exactly - hence the K-Pax reference.

Oh? My favorite book which im re-reading at the moment, do you really think prot was that emotionless? He struck me as been quite happy about many things including fruit etc. However his discriptions about our uncertain future might be what you are refering too...actually that does make sense.

Yeah - that kind of thing. Dispassionate in the sense of "well, you let thousands of people die through poverty and lack of healthcare every day - so why should the death of one of your friends matter?"

That kind of vague, unarguable and ultimately (from a purely Spock-like logical sense) correct manner of thinking.

Have you read the two sequels? Well, it prolongs the pleasure - doesn't it!

Bilderberger said:
Have you read the two sequels? Well, it prolongs the pleasure - doesn't it!

Nope I havent read the sequels, but im in two minds whether to or not, I passed the book on to a close friend last year and she loved it too and we decided that reading the other two might take away from how good a book the first is.

Are they worth the read?

Yeah - they are - they certainly don't detract from the original.

It is amazing how much the story develops - you learn a lot more about the past - but it still keeps that element of doubt as to the nature of Prot..................

I certainly didn't regret reading them but I do know what you mean about poor sequels.

Back