• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Time traveler online????

Just wondered what anyone thought of this which was shown to me today.....

http://www.johntitor.com

....bizzare, if it's not true (which it seems unlikely to be) then someone put a lot of time into it...........

Ahem

I do quite like the idea that 30 years from now people will suddenly realise that melting the icecaps will decrease sea levels :D

Jane.

It makes for interesting reading, if nothing else.

Although, I did notice that there were a few mentions of CJD or mad cow disease, which is now at the forefront of American food problems.

The problem I have with it is that it is VERY American. I haven't read all of it, but Europe gets ONE mention in the bits that I have read. He talks about a World War and mentions what America does, and how America is, and there is a short line that states that the European union and China were destroyed.

So America wins, but Britain and the rest of Europe gets annihilated? Thanks, mate.

EDIT: Although I have just read that although it appears to be from 2000 and 2001, most, if not all articles about John watsisface are, apparently, from 2003.

I think it's a great gag, but the Russian nuclear weapons idea is a bit lacking in imagination.

btw, Omaha, Nebraska being the new capital is a bit of an in-joke.
The place happens to be the main HQ for Strategic Command, SAC as was, and in the event of a nuclear war would get hit by more missiles than almost anywhere else in the area...

Yes, he's extremely US-centric, but so are many people in that part of the world.

And I didn't think much of K-PAX (the idea came from an Argentine film, called, I think, Man Looking Northeast about a supposed alien in a mental institution).

Billyjoe said:
John claims that he traveled to 1975 first then forward to 2001, to ensure that he can get closer to home (or whatever) when he left this time he traveled back to 1974 therefore to a worldline that hadnt been effected by his infulence and then forward in time.....that sites giving me a head ache.

Has anyone heard of similar claims made by anyone back in 1974 or 1975? Maybe being as anonymous as posting on the WWW would have been unlikely, but it was generally easier to be anonymous back then anyway.

I fear that in asking this question I have now inspired an effort to create the above evidence.

There's no good reason for a civil war in America that I can think of. Most people are too happy.
Unless we all suddenly ran out of oil. That'd make lots of people unhappy...
And why would Russia suddenly choose to pick a fight with the US, China and Europe? Massive retribution would wipe out all of Russia.
That's just too dumb. Unless it was an accident...
I'm just not convinced by this John Titor guy. I think he's someone who's manufactured the whole thing in order to sell a book (and maybe a film).

Very sceptical about this one... but its very interguing and would make an excellent plot for a film.

Imagine, a soilder has to travel back through time to gain a vital piece of equipment to prevent the cataclysm that has befallen his time line. Then the baddies could send another soilder to try and stop the first!!!

Wow, just call me Spielburg!

Check out this picture:

1459107_559981680761516_782196819_n.jpg

'Enhanced':

11665449_10207621315305399_2439918720215868440_n.jpg

This is a picture taken in the fall of 2035 during my training. It shows my instructor beaming a handheld laser outside the vehicle during operation. The beam is being bent by the gravitational field produced outside the vehicle by the distortion unit. The beam is visible through smoke that is coming from his cigar.

from http://www.anomalies.net/time_traveler/john.html

This is an obvious fake, since the beam from the laser bends, but no other light in the picture is bending. If it was, then surely the device doing the bending would appear as if in a 'silver bauble' or in some other distorted fashion.

Hmmm. Nice try, but this is quite obviously a very clever hoax.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are still smoking in 2035?? we still haven't solved that problem then.

rjm said:
Very sceptical about this one... but its very interguing and would make an excellent plot for a film.

Imagine, a soilder has to travel back through time to gain a vital piece of equipment to prevent the cataclysm that has befallen his time line. Then the baddies could send another soilder to try and stop the first!!!

Harlan Ellison would sue. He was never happy about the similarities between 'Terminator' and his TV scripts 'Soldier, Soldier' an 'Demon with a Glass Hand'. :D

The photo of laser beam is fake. It wouldn't just be other light that would be bent, to achieve that sort of bend you'd need a gravitional field comparable to that of a star, it'd collapse any nearby matter in on itself.

Surprise, I notice on one of the links there's a book for sale........:hmph:

Apparently Amazon is now selling a book called John Titor A Time Traveler's Tale which is reportedly being sold by John Titor's mother. We have it on good authority that the book is indeed legit and is written by his mother. It also has several new photo's and some previously unreleased information. On a side note we have acquired a copy of the book and we'll pass along some notes once we have reviewed it.

...written by John Titor's mother...

Just as well it's not Mr Titor himself, as he comes across as largely illiterate (evidently the English language will not be high on the agenda in 2036, in the same way that camera technology appears to have degenerated significantly). It does boggle the mind, however, when you think of how successful this ploy could have been had it been created with thought and good planning, and by somebody with a degree of intelligence and craftsmanship. Sorry, Mr Titor, I only award your hoax 2/10.

Just for the sake of argument, what kind of forum might John Titor have used to make a similar appearance in the 70's? Parties, social functions, concerts, magazines?

Desperado said:
Just as well it's not Mr Titor himself, as he comes across as largely illiterate (evidently the English language will not be high on the agenda in 2036, in the same way that camera technology appears to have degenerated significantly). It does boggle the mind, however, when you think of how successful this ploy could have been had it been created with thought and good planning, and by somebody with a degree of intelligence and craftsmanship. Sorry, Mr Titor, I only award your hoax 2/10.

Yes, it's amazing how bad the photos are, considering the 32 years of extra technological development.
Also, DTP and printing seem to have deteriorated - the 'restricted' documents aren't nicely typeset.
I'll give him his due, though - he has gone to a lot of trouble to create illustrations and fairly detailed models of the equipment.

Was Titor right?

Just a thought? Didn't John Titor indicate that the start of the end is civil unrest caused by a divided USA around the time of the 2004 election? Seems that the country is indeed split down the middle when it comes to Bush v Kerry.

What wil happen if Bush wins? Will the Kerry supporters stand up as one and argue that there have been fould deeds afoot? What if the voting machines in Florida fail? Surely Kerry has to win... or it will look like there has been some vote rigging at play?

Will the USA be left weakened by this civil dicide and therefore more open to terrorist attacks?

Re: Was Titor right?

binkston1 said:
Just a thought? Didn't John Titor indicate that the start of the end is civil unrest caused by a divided USA around the time of the 2004 election? Seems that the country is indeed split down the middle when it comes to Bush v Kerry.

What wil happen if Bush wins? Will the Kerry supporters stand up as one and argue that there have been fould deeds afoot? What if the voting machines in Florida fail? Surely Kerry has to win... or it will look like there has been some vote rigging at play?

Will the USA be left weakened by this civil dicide and therefore more open to terrorist attacks?

All this is (according to Titor) meant to lead to a neuclear attack by Russia - quite why I don't know! I don't think his story stood much scrutiny though. I still don't understand how a post war society with no hospitals can make a time machine, or why, if they did, they would really need a 1970s computer.

Perhaps there will be a shock election result. President Ralph Nadar?

I'm currently involved in banter with another time traveller who claims to be be sent back in time from 2039 because John Titor messed up :)

---------
As I was nosey I did a little nosing aorund and found this:

Obsessed & Scientific (2005)

Obsessed & Scientific is a documentary about the possibility of time travel and the people who dream about it.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0476682/

Interviews with people like Michio Kaku.

More info:

www.spacejunk.org/index.php?p=1781

-----------
And there seems to be a film on its way about Titor:

http://timetravelportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=2198
http://www.conspiracycafe.net/index.php ... =1544&st=0

A thought about this civil war in America - maybe this is a war between secular rationalists and right-wing Christian zealots?
Or maybe a war between right-wing neocons ('the war on terror') and freedom-loving liberals?

Mythopoeika said:
A thought about this civil war in America - maybe this is a war between secular rationalists and right-wing Christian zealots?
Or maybe a war between right-wing neocons ('the war on terror') and freedom-loving liberals?

Sounds to me like its a war between the Neo-Cons are the general population of the oppressed so that would be the left (ish) and the far right (militias). It started in 2004 (yeah I must have missed that one - seems it'll take a while to beocme publcially visible) and will peak around 2012 allegedly ;)

Dizzy spell and lost time...

I think there is a possibiliuty this is genuine

After all I just read this entire thread and now I have a slight dizzy spell and according to my watch I am missing about half an hour.

Either the fabric of time is being pulled apart or I have eyestrain

I saw part of an interview with the First Lady (Mrs Bush), and during a clip from the interview a BBC journo said that Mrs Bush wanted Condoleeza Rice as the next US President.

This supposed time traveler was supposed to have said that there would be a woman president of the US in 2008.

Why not?

Also, although I think that the idea the guy was or is a time traveler is nonsense, the idea of a shoot-out war in 2008 is not so far fetched IMO.

I'd be more impressed by this John Titor guy if his name didn't seem to come straight out from a comic book. 'Mick', for example, has a ring of bathos about it which might make me go 'hmmm' for a moment

barfing_pumpkin said:
I'd be more impressed by this John Titor guy if his name didn't seem to come straight out from a comic book. 'Mick', for example, has a ring of bathos about it which might make me go 'hmmm' for a moment
"John Titor" does sound like a character begging to be played by Schwarzenegger or Steven Seagal, doesn't he?
"I'll be baaack - to the fewwwcher!"

The glory of John Titor's story, of course, is that absolutely none of his predictions have to come true for his admittedly far-fetched story to hold water. All his talk of alternate realities means that there could be a US civil war in his world without it happening here. It would just depend on the point at which the two worlds diverged - probably the earliest date at which time-travellers arrived.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly inclined to believe his story, but I do concede that it's fairly cleverly thought out.

volshebnik said:
He wrote some decent 'science' fiction, but he's no Dick.

Aaah, that's just begging for a witty riposte. ;)

If we were to,for one second, suspend copius amounts of belief....then consider this:

a) if his modus operandi were what he states it to be, he wouldn't be announcing his being here to the world. The very mention of his being here contradicts his case.

Cause and effect 101.

b) if a) were not the case, then excluding that, why is he telling people he's here. "Hey, I dropped by to tell you all that in the future there will be civil unrest. Me just telling you that means that it will be averted so really there was little point saying anything at all, since really, I could say that tomorrow the world will explode... but me just telling you that means it wont. Bye now and have a nice day."

Either way you look at it, he's not actually saying anything.

My message for everyone regarding the future?

Wear sunscreen.

Who was John Titor, the 'time traveller' who came from 2036 to warn us of a nuclear war?
As the world celebrates Back to the Future Day, it has forgotten the unknown man whose 2001 internet postings might just have saved humanity
By Laurence Dodds
6:34PM BST 21 Oct 2015

If time travel is possible, why haven’t we met any time travellers?
This was the question Stephen Hawking advanced on the topic of time warps. But it misses something: what if we have met time travellers without even knowing it? Or what if we’ve met them, but didn’t believe them?

As the world marks the passing of Back to the Future’s fictional future, it has almost forgotten a much less famous series of predictions which started sixteen years ago next month.

It was in the year 2000, on November 2, that a man calling himself John Titor logged onto an obscure internet discussion board and posted this message:

"Greetings. I am a time traveller from the year 2036. I am on my way home after getting an IBM 5100 computer system from the year 1975.

“My ‘time’ machine is a stationary mass, temporal displacement unit manufactured by General Electric. The unit is powered by two top-spin dual-positive singularities that produce a standard off-set Tipler sinusoid.
“I will be happy to post pictures of the unit.”

Questions followed. Titor answered them, some copiously, some cryptically. And he did indeed post pictures of his machine: mounted, like Back to the Future’s, in a car (though it was a 1967 Chevrolet rather than a DeLorean).

Between November 2000 and March 2001, he answered many more questions. At one point he was even interviewed on a national talk radio show. He described his time machine in detail, even posting pictures of its user’s manual. A small internet cult grew up around him. Then one day he was gone, leaving his acolytes to pick over the remains. Today, there are little shrines to his name all across the internet. But who was he really?

Titor's actual target was the year 1975; he was making a stopover in 2000 for “personal reasons”. He was a member of a military unit tasked with retrieving items from the past which could help get society back on its feet. A civil war in the United states had triggered a limited nuclear exchange with Russia in 2015, which killed nearly three million people. In the aftermath, life had returned to something more like what Republican survivalists imagine America should be:

"In 2036, I live in central Florida with my family and I'm currently stationed at an Army base in Tampa… the people that survived grew closer together. Life is centered on the family and then the community. I cannot imagine living even a few hundred miles away from my parents.
“There is no large industrial complex creating masses of useless food and recreational items. Food and livestock is grown and sold locally. People spend much more time reading and talking together face to face. Religion is taken seriously and everyone can multiply and divide in their heads.”

etc (long article)

[This article was udpdated at 18:34 on October 21, 2015, to add details of the Haber family and their connection to John Titor.]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...me-from-2036-to-warn-us-of-a-nuclear-war.html

Last edited:
Back