• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Whiteside Parsons (Jack Parsons) & The Babalon Working

MrRING

Android Futureman
Just read the banned Alan Moore/Melinda Gibblie comic about this event, Jack Parsons & his association with L. Ron Hubbard, the homoculous creating "moon-child" Babylon Working, and Parson's influence in the creation of high output rocket fuel.

I think it's fascinating, thought I'd include a bit about it here - anybody else think this is interesting stuff? This link has good into:

labyrinth13.com/Parsons.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040228095544/http://labyrinth13.com/Parsons.htm

As does this one:

From Disinformation:

When the history of the American space program is finally written, no figure will stand out quite like John Whiteside Parsons. Remarkably handsome, dashing and brilliant, 'Jack' Parsons was one of the founders of the experimental rocket research group at Cal Tech and the group's seven acre Arroyo Seco testing facility would eventually become Jet Propulsion Laboratory, NASA's rocket design center.

Werner von Braun claimed it was the self-taught Parsons, not himself, who was the true father of the American space program for his contribution to the development of solid rocket fuel. Although Parsons has been memorialized with a statue at JPL and has had a crater on the dark side of the moon named in his honor, his story remains shrouded in mystery – for what is little known about this legend of aerospace engineering is that Parsons was an avid practitioner of the occult sciences, and for several years, Aleister Crowley's hand-picked leader of the US branch of the Ordo Templi Orientis, the Southern California-based Agape´ Lodge.

Parsons was born in Los Angeles on October 2, 1914, the son of a wealthy and well connected family living in a sprawling mansion on Pasadena's 'Millionaire Row.' His father worked for Woodrow Wilson. After his parents divorce, the solitary childhood of Parsons imbued him with a deep hatred of authority, and a contempt for any sort of interference in his activity. Parsons interest in the occult apparently commenced at an early age and in one of his diaries he claimed to have visibly evoked Satan at the tender age of 13.

After discovering Crowley's philosophy of Thelema (Greek for 'true will'), Parsons joined the Agape´ Lodge in 1941. Wilfred T. Smith, the expatriate Englishman who started the order in the early 1930s with a charter from the Great Beast himself, wrote of Parsons in a letter to Crowley: "I think I have at long last a really excellent man, John Parsons. And starting next Tuesday he begins a course of talks with a view to enlarging our scope. He has an excellent mind and much better intellect than myself . . . John Parsons is going to be valuable." ...

disinfo.com/archive/pages/article/id592/pg1/
Link is dead. The complete MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070930184549/http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/article/id592/pg1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Just read the banned Alan Moore/Melinda Gibblie comic about this event

Where did you get your hands on it? And banned?

And yes is fascinating :)

pi23: That link doesn't seem to work but I'll try it agin later.

Emps

The comic was originally going to be one of "The Cobweb" stories in Alan Moore's recent Tomorrow Stories anthology series, but DC pulled it due to talking about L.Ron Hubbard & a fear of lawsuits (Even though the Big Book of Conspiricies or Weirdos had already done a story on the events, & wasn't banned by DC).

Moore bought the rights to the story back, and changed the name of the Cobweb, and it was published in a huge anthology tome from Top Shelf publishers called "Top Shelf Asks The Big Questions". It was certainly interesting, indicates a bit of where Promethia is going....

Excellent - I'd not heard of that and I'm a big fan of Moore's more esoteric stuff.

Loads of Parsons stuff here: babalon.net/
Link is dead, as is the domain and the website. The index / entry page to this extensive website dedicated to Parsons can still be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040127181708/http://www.babalon.net/

And as I can't find another Jack Parsons thread:

Strange Angel : The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
by George Pendle (2005)

From Publishers Weekly

Pendle vividly tells the story of a mysterious and forgotten man who embodied the contradictions of his time. Throughout the 1930s, John Whiteside Parsons (1914–1952) was a pioneer of rocket science, a fixture at Caltech with an uncanny ability to understand and control the dynamics of explosions, though he'd never completed an undergraduate degree. At the same time, Parsons was a key figure in the Los Angeles occult scene, presiding over a world of incantations, black magic and orgiastic excess. Science journalist Pendle (Times of London, Financial Times) follows Parsons on his journey through both science and the occult as he explored the connections between the two at a time when science fiction crashed into science fact (and when the practitioners of one often dabbled in the other. The book tells the story of the research that formed the basis for both missile defense and space flight, but Parsons himself was a tragic figure, left behind by both the science he helped to found and the women he loved. Marshaling a cast of characters ranging from Robert Millikan to L. Ron Hubbard, Pendle offers a fascinating glimpse into a world long past, a story that would make a compelling work of fiction if it weren't so astonishingly true. 8 pages of b&w photos not seen by PW.

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

---------------
Product Description:
Brilliant Rocket Scientist Killed in Explosion screamed the front-page headline of the Los Angeles Times on June 18, 1952. John Parsons, a maverick rocketeer whose work had helped transform the rocket from a derided sci-fi plotline into a reality, was at first mourned as a tragically young victim of mishandled chemicals. But as reporters dug deeper a shocking story emerged-Parsons had been performing occult rites and summoning spirits as a follower of Aleister Crowley-and he was promptly written off as an embarrassment to science.

George Pendle tells Parsons's extraordinary life story for the first time. Fueled from childhood by dreams of space flight, Parsons was a crucial innovator during rocketry's birth. But his visionary imagination also led him into the occult community thriving in 1930s Los Angeles, and when fantasy's pull became stronger than reality, he lost both his work and his wife. Parsons was just emerging from his personal underworld when he died at age thirty-seven. In Strange Angel, Pendle recovers a fascinating life and explores the unruly consequences of genius.

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/015100997X/
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/015100997X/

Parsons messed up the use of the Enochian in the Babalon(d) working. He used the 7th KEY when , instead he should have used a modified Enochian Call of the 30th Aethyrs (DEO).
To endure the enochian aethyrs the practioner has to recite the call through each Aethyr. So a call a day would be needed (TEX,RII, etc.)

Secondly using the presence of Babalon(d) to help create an "elemental" for him is incredibly disrepectful.Babalon(d) wouldnt have responded positively to such a petty request .Thats probably why he lost his wife and money to Hubbard. Also the fact he wasnt in a positive frame of mind needed to work such a "cthartic"ritual.A strong focused mind is needed in a magickal ritual. Parsons had all sorts of personal issues going on that would have affected his ability to remain detatched in his magickal working.

Interesting bit about the paramour of Parsons, Marjorie Cameron, on WIKI:
As a child, Cameron began to have strange and powerful visions that were so vivid, she could not be sure if they were real or imaginary. One night from her bedroom, she saw a ghostly procession of four white horses float by her window. Later she would recall these dreams in detail and was able to capture this in her artwork and poetry. In a letter to magician and Aleister Crowley associate Jane Wolfe, she mentions finding a "hole to hell" in her grandmother's backyard: "I remember always a tree on my grandmother's property from which hung an old, old swing where my mother had played as a little girl. Near this spot I recall a well which I always believed was the hole to hell - also the blue Bachelor Button flower grew near this spot. Herein I find again a new concept of the 4 elements and the name of god - the tree, the well, the swing (water's life) and the flower - which is seed"

Parsons incompetence helped to put Enochian studies in a negative light. Which couldnt be further from the truth.
If someone looks at the original notes of Dee , before he commenced work with the "messengers" he prayed and fasted for several days at a time. The enochian entites were incredibly hard and stern on Dee.
Compare that to Parsons.......Also from the notes that have survived , at no point did Parsons actually magickally ask for permission to use the Enochian keys or the call from the Enochian entites. The enochian entites dont think much about us humans, seeing us has a corruption of creation. So imagine how they would have responded to Parsons......

Secondly Cameron hasnt contributed or taken forward magick/occultism in any verifiable form. Parsons working was a failure.

Parsons

One of the most commonly-circulated rumors concerning Jack Parsons is that he not only seduced his mother but filmed the sex act.

Any ideas as to the truth of this?

Parson's mother committed suicide a few hours after Jack died.

Re: Parsons

OldTimeRadio said:
One of the most commonly-circulated rumors concerning Jack Parsons is that he not only seduced his mother but filmed the sex act. Any ideas as to the truth of this? Parson's mother committed suicide a few hours after Jack died.

It's very undetermined, but the only "proof" of the sex film is rumor. I don't think has been anything factual on that front, but it persists. The babylon.net site has an interesting exchange about the film and it's alledged existance between the site owner and one of the biographers.

His mom did commit suicide a few hours after getting the news of his death.

Interestingly, Parsons died while working on making special effects. He was about to go on vacation, but got a call for an order of the tiny explosive packets that make it appear that an object is being hit by gun-fire. Trying to whip up a batch quickly, he was using a coffee can to mix ingrediants when the mixture fell. He tried to catch it, but it went off and too off his arm and half his face. He was still alive when found, but died shortly thereafter...

Re: Parsons

MrRING said:
"He was still alive when found, but died shortly thereafter..."

Yes, and apparently still conscious when help arrived. One account has Parsons giving advice to the ambulance team from the stretcher.

Interesting little article from Atlas Obscura, 1 October 2016.

The Life and Legacy of Jack Parsons
The enigmatic polymath Jack Parsons—explosives expert, co-founder of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and infamous occultist—died an untimely death caused by a mysterious explosion in his laboratory in Pasadena..
Join Field Agents Erin Johnson and Siegfried Tieber as we trek deep into the Arroyo Seco to the Devil’s Gate and discover the fascinating history of rocket science and occultism in Pasadena.

Hidden beneath the 210 freeway is an unusual geological formation, resembling the profile of the Devil. Allegedly, Jack Parsons and other 20th century occultists believed that this was one of The Seven Portals of Hell. During this hike, we'll explore the history and mysticism surrounding this outlandish location and indulge in Parsons' life and his two passions: rocketry and magic.

atlasobscura.com/events/obscura-society-la-the-life-and-legacy-of-jack-parsons
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2016111...ociety-la-the-life-and-legacy-of-jack-parsons

Fascinating....and also it's utterly amazing to know that in a little over 14 hrs from when I write this, 20 people in California are going to walk through the Gates of Hell...

Notes for this adventure:
- Meet at the picnic table near the restrooms in Hahamongna Watershed Park: 34.190892, -118.177981

- Parking is free, but limited, please carpool if possible.

- Wear comfortable shoes, i.e., sneakers or hiking boots for the hike to Devil’s Gate. It could be muddy! High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not allowed. Long pants are also recommended as the path tends to be overgrown.

- This is a two mile hike. Be prepared for steep and unsteady terrain. Bring water!

- Recommended for ages 13+ (some content that may be inappropriate for children under this age)

- Photography is encouraged! #atlasobscura

Advance ticket sales only. All sales are final.

Screenshot_2016-10-01-07-38-26.png

A recent episode of the podcast Monster Talk on Parsons,

Episode 156
Magic: Sex, Drugs and Rocket Propulsion

Researcher Jerry Drake joins us to tell the astonishing story of Jack Parsons, a man whose short life seemed to intersect with some of the most intriguing figures in pop-culture, religion and science, but whose career contributions seemed on the verge of being forgotten until very recently.

https://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/18/05/23/

Werner von Braun claimed it was the self-taught Parsons, not himself, who was the true father of the American space program for his contribution to the development of solid rocket fuel.
Quite the endorsement.

I'm so tripped out by the possibility that JP launched modernity that I can't really fathom that it was some nondescript hollywood pretty boy. People say he launched so much more than those early metal cocks. I don't know what else he started, but I strongly suspect it was responsible for what we have and are today. Godfather. I want to know.

Could we return to the books about him for a bit? I'm going to start looking for a purchase tomorrow. Who alive on our forum today has read the Pendle bio? Is there a more recent 'as good' alternative, with some further digging, some more light shed?

Stick with this. What seem initially to be disparate threads do intertwine to form a coherent thread as he goes along.

Levenda has been researching the link between the nazi occult program and the US space administration for almost 40 years and seems to have the cred so many in this field of study lack. I've been listening to his ideas all year (not read yet). Listen for yourself.

I'm moderately surprised no one's mentioned the 2000 Fortean Times article about Jack Parsons. It was once presented on the now-defunct FT online article archive, but it can still be accessed via the Wayback Machine.
King of the Rocket Men
One of the founding fathers of American rocket-science was a character strung between Scott Fitzgerald, Jack Kerouac, and the Devil himself. COLIN BENNETT considers the short but remarkable life of a blazing star, Jack Parsons. ...
March 2000 FT 132

John Whiteside Parsons, born Marvel, known as Jack, writer, visionary, dedicated occultist, and chemist of genius, was born in 1914 and died in 1952 in a mysterious explosion whose cause has never been fully explained. He was a tall handsome Californian, whose early work on highly volatile rocket-motor fuels was regarded highly enough for French scientists of a later generation to name a crater on the moon after him. Parsons introduced into early American rocketry a range of exotic solid and liquid fuels whose later forms were eventually to help drive Apollo 11 to the Moon. He helped create the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, now a major industrial complex. In early colour footage from JPL archives, he looks like a better-fed James Dean in some 1950s road movie. In the manner of many mid-century heroes such as Dean, his life was more a script than a life. Today, over fifty years later, we can run Parsons in our heads, in torn jeans and greasy shirt as he off-loads equipment from a hired pick-up truck in the baking dust of some remote desert arroyo, and gets ready for one of his many pre-war rocket experiments. ...

FULL ARTICLE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060112030316/http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/132_parsons.shtml

Reactions: Jim
The video is packed with very direct references to the Thelemite agenda and much else besides. Babalon, JPL, Kubrick, Beat, NASA, Dianetics,, all collaged together by Son of Beatles and Son of Psilocybin. You can dance to it.

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Blood And Rockets: Movement I, Saga Of Jack Parsons​

Because he started with experiments in the backyard, Jack Parsons
As a little boy he already went a bit too far
But the trouble really started when he found another young arsonist
Because together they were ready to reach the stars (Reach the stars)

So the two of them began to play around with various explosives
Jack is calling from a a local powder company (Company)
The military gathering the other young rocket scientist
Thought that both would do what no one else had achieved

How high (How high)
Does your rocket fly? (Does your Rocket fly)
Better be careful boys
You just might (You just might)
Set the world on fire (On fire)
you better be careful boys set the world on fire

So Jack became a loyal follower of Mr, Aleister Crowley
He took an oath to be a Magister Templi
His pretty house in Pasadena was notorious for the orgies
Every night Abyssinian mysteries (Mysteries)

Then his company became the famous JP Laboratories
His reputation made it difficult to proceed (Difficult to proceed)
And at their home there was a chemical magical ceremony
They found his body in a pile of blood and debris

How high (How high)
Does your rocket fly? (Does your Rocket fly)
Better be careful boys
You just might (You just might)
Set the world on fire (On fire)
you better be careful boys set the world on fire

Do what thy will
Do what thy will
Do what thy will
Do what thy will
Love is the law
Love is the law
Love is the law
Love is the law
Fly me to the moon
Fly me to the moon
Fly me to the moon
Fly me to the moon

Last edited:
Here'a cool interview by Enochian guru Jason Louv with George Pendle.

Back