Jon Ronson

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Adam Curtis interviews Jon Ronson:
Article

By all rights their conversation should have ended in a table-toppling brawl, in keeping with the subject, but they manage to be very civil. It certainly sounds like there's good stuff coming up on Jon's podcast, like how poet Roger McGough started a gun battle on a US school bus.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Another great episode, the school textbooks one. Makes the important point that no matter where you lie in the culture wars, impact has become far more important that intention. And that's a problem.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Another great episode, the school textbooks one. Makes the important point that no matter where you lie in the culture wars, impact has become far more important that intention. And that's a problem.

That line struck me, as I hadn't thought about it that way but it's really true, and social media has exascerbated this. Also the seemingly unending determination of some people (of all persuasions to be honest) to impose their beliefs on others and demand that society bend to their own view of morality. Really does my head in!

balding13

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
That line struck me, as I hadn't thought about it that way but it's really true, and social media has exascerbated this. Also the seemingly unending determination of some people (of all persuasions to be honest) to impose their beliefs on others and demand that society bend to their own view of morality. Really does my head in!
I hesitate to leap into this minefield, but it seems in almost every case where some politician or public figure behaves in a performative manner their social media history reveals behaviour far worse than the actions that they are criticising. And I won't dwell on the HBO Harry Potter special that doesn't include its creator.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The sooner we agree we're all terrible in different ways, the better.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Aw, this week's was actually really heartwarming. I vaguely knew of Tammy Faye Bakker, mostly because her husband ruined her life when he mismanaged their televangelist business, but she went on to do some genuine good. This gives me hope there will come a time when we look back on the culture wars and wonder what the fuss was all about.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Ah, I've been waiting for this week's: Satanic panic! There's so much to choose from there, but the interesting point was a lot of the Satanic paranoia - which was baseless - was fuelled by middle class liberals feeling guilty about not doing enough for their kids and sending them to daycare instead.

The woman Jon interviews lost years of her life because of hundreds of lies prompted by counsellors coaching little kids to invent wilder and wilder stories. And after it was certain she was innocent, she never received one apology from her accusers. This one is essential listening for Forteans.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
It was certainly a good episode, I'm still astonished that she was ever found guilty in the first place though.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It was certainly a good episode, I'm still astonished that she was ever found guilty in the first place though.

I know! Was she arrested by the clown police or something? The accusations were beyond ridiculous. Just shows you how these things can snowball.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I know! Was she arrested by the clown police or something? The accusations were beyond ridiculous. Just shows you how these things can snowball.

“…police officers have become too eager to immediately believe alleged victims, which is part of a national policy intended to give people confidence that their allegations will be taken seriously.

Police guidance states that complainants should be believed from the outset "unless there is credible evidence at the point the allegation is made that determines no crime has been committed".

But the guidance has been under review for more than a year since a report into the Met Police's flawed VIP sex abuse inquiry found the automatic-belief policy had warped the judgment of officers…”

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/police-ch...always-believe-victim-sex-abuse-cases-1652490

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
“…police officers have become too eager to immediately believe alleged victims, which is part of a national policy intended to give people confidence that their allegations will be taken seriously.

Police guidance states that complainants should be believed from the outset "unless there is credible evidence at the point the allegation is made that determines no crime has been committed".

But the guidance has been under review for more than a year since a report into the Met Police's flawed VIP sex abuse inquiry found the automatic-belief policy had warped the judgment of officers…”

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/police-ch...always-believe-victim-sex-abuse-cases-1652490

maximus otter

I guess it's difficult when you're caught up in a moral panic to say, "Hang on, this doesn't make sense, the evidence doesn't add up", because my goodness you can suffer for that, and thank goodness someone saw that sense in the Met's VIP abuse inquiry, but this woman was convicted and served a few years before she was released. It was only by chance that she was exonerated. I know this was in America, but the same should apply there as here.