• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jordan Peterson

Just pause for a bit to see another side to the guy - and one we can all appreciate here.

Peterson had a ghost story to tell - and it;s a good story and well told. Surprisingly, for a tenured psychologust, he doesn't try to reduce it all to tricks of the mind and so forth.

Have you a link to it ?

I can't see one in your post. If there is one, can you re-post it with the https:// bit removed. I should be able to resolve it then.

Have you a link to it ?

I can't see one in your post. If there is one, can you re-post it with the https:// bit removed. I should be able to resolve it then.
youtu.be/GE_mKeDMHm8

Zeke,

Yes, I can see the link now.
I have found that this software I am using always blocks anything starting http or https. Basically it wants me to update.

Mytho.
Thanks also.

Just pause for a bit to see another side to the guy - and one we can all appreciate here.

Peterson had a ghost story to tell - and it;s a good story and well told. Surprisingly, for a tenured psychologust, he doesn't try to reduce it all to tricks of the mind and so forth.

That was entertaining, thank you. :) He's always engaging to listen to.

Don't know if it was just my browser though but the video started playing at somewhere around the 5 minute mark, so if it does the same for anyone else be sure to play it from the start to hear the full thing.

That was entertaining, thank you. :) He's always engaging to listen to.

Don't know if it was just my browser though but the video started playing at somewhere around the 5 minute mark, so if it does the same for anyone else be sure to play it from the start to hear the full thing.
The link I provided starts at the beginning.

And on JBP.... I still feel that whilst (just like Dawkins) he isn't perfect....he's still much-better being listened to, and learnt from, than not. I do hope that his recovery is continuing, in every sense of that statement.
^this^

I do hope he makes a full recovery. I wasn't too keen on his latest interviews as he seemed to be falling into the celebrity guru group. But all his early stuff is pretty much spot on.

INT21.

Last edited by a moderator:
An evil man, but I hope he recovers.
3cpAS6L.jpg

I think Eboracum has gone away to ponder on the meaning of 'evil'.

And is finding it 'uncomfortable'.

:)

Nope. I am not going to be drawn into a political discussion. I do believe, however, that Peterson is not a suitable subject matter for this forum, simply because of his political beliefs. We should not be pandering to this sort of demagogue on here.

It's not political, it's behavioral science.

And eight pages with 446 posts would suggest it is indeed a suitable subject.

It's not political, it's behavioural science.
That's the kiddie.

The man himself is not the only person who has commented on the strong overlap between character traits (specifically Five Factor Model traits) and political beliefs and this was the basis of the Cambridge Analytica work that got them into trouble. Facebook have also developed algorithms that derive peoples' FFM profile based on their posts and content, and this can be used for targetting ads. based on the predicted political beliefs of the respondents. It's not 100%, but it's 70% accurate...more of less. Mr. Trump had a team doing just this, it's matter of record as it was on BBC4 documentary some time ago.

That this annoys those with politically derived belief-systems, e.g. that people are (a) all born blank slates and (b) should be subject to an equality of outcome, is the source of much rancour. Luckily, people who believe even these two things are just wrong.

To pick one facet.

I'd suggest that, broadly speaking, JP is the exact opposite of a demagogue. He bases the majority of his arguments on well researched science.

The view of a demagogue is much more like, e.g., "Science is a white male patriarchy so all products of it are invalid as an argument".

That this annoys those with politically derived belief-systems
Okay kids, let's conjugate:
"My belief system is entirely sound and logical. Your belief system has flaws. His belief system is politically derived." The idea of an apolitical belief system is something of an oxymoron, surely?
e.g. that people are (a) all born blank slates and (b) should be subject to an equality of outcome
Does anyone actually believe either of these ideas?

Okay kids, let's conjugate:
"My belief system is entirely sound and logical. Your belief system has flaws. His belief system is politically derived." The idea of an apolitical belief system is something of an oxymoron, surely?

I've just remembered why I left the forum. Toodles.

I have no problem mocking a charlatan and grifter. Be he healthy or sick, or dead.
He shoulda stayed home and tended his sick wife and continued with his job as a professor
Instead of becoming a pop psychologist and political theorist for books sales and speaking engagements.
In other words, cleaned his own room. But it seems like most grifters, charlatans, and self professed experts, he didn’t take his own advice.
No pity.

Please note

* adding a smiley to an unfounded post doesn't make it true, jokey or anything else positive. This has been noted before and individuals have had this drawn to their attention.

* number of posts and pages does not indicate quality or suitability for this place.

* the fortean aspect to ill-wishing is up for debate. Gloating about someone else's illness isn't necessary or welcome.

Frideswide

As always, please discuss in the relevant place or via PM if discussion is needed.

I hate to break it to you, but insisting that science stands outside politics is a highly politicised stance. For example, whose science are you talking about?

I don't see the point in that post.

I assume you have watched many of Peterson's early talks (it would be strange if you haven't, considering your opinion of the author) and do realise that he is talking about behaviour and motivation.

You appear to be implying that one's view on a subject must be conditional on the political view you hold.

is this so ?

INT21.

kiln_wood said:
e.g. that people are (a) all born blank slates and (b) should be subject to an equality of outcome

I think 'equality of opportunity' is a fair one. But equality of outcome will be decided by ability, if opportunity were equal; and we all know it isn't.

And it can't be.

But we drift off subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to break it to you, but insisting that science stands outside politics is a highly politicised stance. For example, whose science are you talking about?
The science of... actual scientists?

Krepostnoi,

Would you be hinting at the Nazi condemnation of 'Jewish Science ' ?

Even that was really ideology as opposed to political.

Back