Jordan Peterson

INT21

Antediluvian
Back in the day one could go to the local chemist shop and ask the man behind the counter for a bottle of Hydrochloric acid. (99%) and he would provide it, no questions asked.

You just can't get the supplies these days, At least not the bits you need to potentially kill yourself and take out half the town.

We made our gunpowder from the soot off the back of the chimney, sulfur and an ingredient I won't list here.

ah, the good old days.

I do miss those two fingers on my left hand though.

(Joking)

INT21 ;)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
On the other hand he seems to be providing some sort of framework of living for disenfranchised young men which I think is much needed at the present time. This is probably why feminists and the hard left hate him so much…for daring to suggest that young straight (white) men could possibly be anything but privileged oppressors.
Yes indeed. That is why he is so popular.

Yes indeed. That is why he is so popular.
Suicide is still the single biggest killer of young British men, and as for Ireland (where 80% of suicides are men) and NI, it's grim (google is your friend). So anyone who provides some hope and clarity to young and middle aged men might be applauded for it.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
hand-wrestled moray eels and received wound from exploding bullet (don't ask).
I never did these two on that list. I need to ask about the exploding bullet. Sounds like a yarn worth repeating.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Suicide is still the single biggest killer of young British men, and as for Ireland (where 80% of suicides are men) and NI, it's grim (google is your friend). So anyone who provides some hope and clarity to young and middle aged men might be applauded for it.
The trouble is, the far right is providing hope of a false kind to young and middle-aged white men, since that's what happens when they get told they're the enemy from all sides. If you didn't think you were racist, sexist, a potential (maybe actual) rapist, a violent offender and all that other antisocial stuff before, there are plenty of people willing to embrace you because you've started to believe it yourself now. You take umbrage, or you feel ashamed. Those taking umbrage cause trouble for others, those feeling ashamed opt for self-destruction. Does Peterson address this?

The trouble is, the far right is providing hope of a false kind to young and middle-aged white men, since that's what happens when they get told they're the enemy from all sides. If you didn't think you were racist, sexist, a potential (maybe actual) rapist, a violent offender and all that other antisocial stuff before, there are plenty of people willing to embrace you because you've started to believe it yourself now. You take umbrage, or you feel ashamed. Those taking umbrage cause trouble for others, those feeling ashamed opt for self-destruction. Does Peterson address this?
There's no soundbite sized way to address this imho, but it's probably only around 25 hours of reading/watching of his material to figure this out, be my guest. :hoff:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Who is telling them that?
I'm white, middle-aged, middle-class, heterosexual and male.

If I cared about the headlines in the press and the pronouncements of countless public bodies, charities and lobby groups, I might believe that I'm the source of much of the inequality and brutality of modern society. And given that I particularly dislike the inequality and brutality of modern society, this might make me quite depressed.

Fortunately, I don't pay any heed to the headlines or inane pronouncements from public bodies and charities and lobby groups. I also find that the people I meet every day, those who don't have a financial or political incentive to to villainise me, don't think along these lines at all.

They can stuff their culture war, I have my own compass.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Heck, seeing a man depicted as a diddy in a washing powder ad is enough to send some men into a rage.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
That could be a negative of Daniel Craig as James Bond...
That joke was in exceedingly poor taste, but as it was at the expense of Kanye West, it is entirely hilarious, and only racist towards Daniel Craig.
Dragon Energy !

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That joke was in exceedingly poor taste, but as it was at the expense of Kanye West, it is entirely hilarious, and only racist towards Daniel Craig.
Dragon Energy !
Except it was P. Diddy, not Kanye. So all black people look the same to you, I suppose! I am offended on behalf of an entire race!

Amoradala

Ephemeral Spectre
I'm white, middle-aged, middle-class, heterosexual and male.

If I cared about the headlines in the press and the pronouncements of countless public bodies, charities and lobby groups, I might believe that I'm the source of much of the inequality and brutality of modern society. And given that I particularly dislike the inequality and brutality of modern society, this might make me quite depressed.

Fortunately, I don't pay any heed to the headlines or inane pronouncements from public bodies and charities and lobby groups. I also find that the people I meet every day, those who don't have a financial or political incentive to to villainize me, don't think along these lines at all.

They can stuff their culture war, I have my own compass.
Peterson talks of the ‘traditional press’ in its death throes, relying increasingly on exaggerated scare stories and opinion pieces to compete for (and ‘claw back’) viewers / readership away from internet based media.

And they don’t like him for saying that either !

Amoradala

Ephemeral Spectre
A talking of the ‘trad’ press, the now infamous Cathy Newman interview here is a perfect example of the absolutely corrupt and cynical manipulations the media use to influence public opinion.

Count how many times Newman tries to put words into Peterson’s mouth and misrepresent his answers.
A truly horrific indictment of U.K. news media tactics

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Peterson talks of the ‘traditional press’ in its death throes, relying increasingly on exaggerated scare stories and opinion pieces to compete for (and ‘claw back’) viewers / readership away from internet based media.

And they don’t like him for saying that either !
Because he's right.

The pace of change in the last three decade is extraordinary and I suspect one of two of us have seen the transition from modems and Commodore Pet's to today's ubiquitous digital world. It's not going to stop, it's speeding up in fact, and it's leaving paper media behind. Newspapers are clinging to a dying demographic (mine) and I'm not sure even actual books will make it out intact.

The pace of change in the last three decade is extraordinary and I suspect one of two of us have seen the transition from modems and Commodore Pet's to today's ubiquitous digital world. It's not going to stop, it's speeding up in fact, and it's leaving paper media behind. Newspapers are clinging to a dying demographic (mine) and I'm not sure even actual books will make it out intact.
They will take paper books out of my cold dead hands.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Because the topic of suicide (and gender issues pertaining thereto ... ) evolved into a sizable tangent of its own, I'm using the above-cited posts as the juncture for spinning off a separate thread:

Suicide In Our Modern Context
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/suicide-in-our-modern-context.65524/

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, here or on another thread - apologies if it has.

I think what's engaging about this particular tale is how the more obviously paranormal elements are kind of parenthesised by the general oddness of the circumstances - more Twin Peaks than American Horror Story, and all the better for it.

Anyway, a politically neutral interlude which I think anyone on this board might enjoy, whatever their opinion of the man.

Mr Peterson's ghost story:

He reminds me of an American actor, but I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe a cross between Sam Shepard and a middle aged Christopher Lloyd