• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Journey to the centre of the earth

meanderer1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
From the Times (London)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,173-680825,00.html

May 15, 2003
Diamond-studded journey to centre of the Earth
By Mark Henderson

A $10bn diamond probe driven by a reverse volcano could reveal the secrets of planets heart. It would be like plunging a huge knife of molten metal into the surface of the globe

ONE of the great science fiction epics of Jules Verne could soon become reality: a leading scientist is planning to send a grapefruit-sized probe on a journey to the centre of the Earth.

The sensor, which would be made from diamonds to withstand temperatures of more than 4,000C, would be blasted into the bowels of the planet by a “reverse volcano” of liquid iron under plans advanced today by David Stevenson, Professor of Planetary Sciences at the California Institute of Technology.

Hundreds of thousands of tonnes of the molten metal would crack open the Earth’s crust, kick-started by a nuclear explosion or artifical earthquake, and allow the capsule of instruments to be carried down 3,000km (1,860 miles) to the edge of the Earth’s superheated core. The journey would take about a week.

The probe would send back the first direct data on the planet’s heart, revealing details of the core’s temperature, chemical composition and electromagnetic activity. The findings would be transmitted to the surface using seismic waves, the vibrations that cause earthquakes, because radio waves cannot penetrate such depths.

Scientists believe that the data would give valuable insights into the Earth’s electromagnetic field, generated from its core, which protects the planet against solar radiation and makes modern satellite communications possible. There may also be implications for nuclear fusion research.

The project, set out by Professor Stevenson today in the journal Nature, would cost at least $10 billion (£6.2 billion) and would require years of international co-operation. A better knowledge of our own planet, however, is more important than the exploration of space, on which resources many times greater have been lavished, he says.

“Planetary missions have enhanced our understanding of the solar system and how planets work, but no comparable exploratory effort has been directed towards the Earth’s interior. Space probes have reached a distance of about 40 astronomical units (6,000 million km, or 3,700 million miles), but subterranean probes have descended only some 10km (6.2 miles).”

The biggest challenge for a mission to the Earth’s core would be cutting a path through the crust and mantle. The Earth’s centre is 6,400km (4,000 miles) below the surface. The probe would have to travel about half this distance to reach the edge of the core.

Professor Stevenson’s solution is to create a crack the height and length of the Empire State Building — 300 metres (984ft) — but only a metre or so across. Into the crack would be poured at least 100,000 tonnes of molten iron alloy, and possibly up to 100 times more. This would create such stress on the rock below that it would force itself down under gravity, gouging a huge fissure that sealed itself at the top as it went. “You’re talking about something that’s a direct analogue of a volcano, just in reverse,” Professor Stevenson said. “It’s like plunging a huge knife of molten metal into the Earth’s surface.”

A nuclear explosion of several megatonnes, or another high-energy event such as an earthquake, may be needed to kick-start the metal’s plunge. It might be possible to take advantage of natural fissures in the crust such as the volcanic vents of Iceland, from which Jules Verne’s fictional expedition made its descent.

Iron would be used because it is cheap and abundant — 100,000 tonnes is produced in an hour by the world’s foundries — and because it would not react much with the iron-rich rocks. It would be molten to reduce friction, rather than because of the heat.

The probe would travel inside the liquid iron, and would have to be made of a substance that could withstand high temperatures. “Obviously you couldn’t use conventional micro-electronics, but diamonds would work well because they’re semiconductors at high temperatures,” Professor Stevenson said.

It would carry instruments to measure temperature, the presence of different elements, and electromagnetic activity. “We just don’t know what’s down there apart from iron,” he said. “There could be silicon, sulphur, oxygen, hydrogen, but we just don’t know.

“It’s an indispensible project, in the same sense as going to planets is indispensible. We see them with telescopes, but when we go there we find things that surprise us. I’m sure we will find things we didn’t predict in the core as well. We might be able to explain how the Earth’s electromagnetic field is generated, or the source of some volcanoes.”

There could be risks, such as opening up a fresh volcano or generating an earthquake but these could be minimised by careful study, he said.

Professor Stevenson said that his paper in Nature had been inspired in part by the recent film The Core, in which scientists played by Aaron Eckhart and Hilary Swank travel to the centre of the Earth to avert an environmental disaster.

“I had had the idea long before, but the movie triggered the writing of the paper,” he said. “I was asked to comment on the science of the movie and, though the prospect of sending people there is obviously preposterous, it got me thinking again about how we could get a probe down there.”

A more celebrated literary journey, however, is likely to give the probe its name. “You can bet Jules Verne is going to be the favourite,” Professor Stevenson said, referring to the author of the literary adventure that on June 28, 1863, sent Professor Otto Lidenbrock of Hamburg, his nephew Axel, and their local guide Hans into the crater of an Icelandic volcano.

The intreprid group’s mythical exploits were recounted the next year in A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, one of the first and most enduring works of the new 19th-century genre of science fiction.

According to Verne, Professor Lidenbrock was trying to retrace a trip made by a 16th-century Icelandic scholar, after he had found an ancient manuscript describing the route.

After climbing down through the Snaefells volcano, a peak of almost 5,000ft that lies about 70 miles from Reykjavik, the three men travelled deep below the Earth’s surface. Along the way they encountered a vast underground sea, forests of giant mushrooms, fighting dinosaurs, a race of giants and living fossils.

Verne’s centre of the Earth was a cool place, filled with caverns, seas and life. Even in the late 19th century, however, most scientists believed, correctly, that the Earth became hotter with depth.

That understanding is also behind The Core, in which scientists discover that the Earth’s magnetic field, which is generated by the Earth’s core, is switching itself off, threatening disastrous consequences. Some of these are plausible — extra radiation from space and damage to computers and satellites — but others, such as bridges being wrenched apart by magnetic force, are not. To prevent a catastrophe, a team of “terranauts” are sent into the centre of the Earth.

Independent experts welcomed the ambition behind the real-world project announced yesterday, but doubted its practicality. “It would be hugely valuable, but there are some fundamental flaws,” David Price, Professor of Mineral Physics at University College London, said.

“He’s relying on the stresses breaking apart the rock, but as this happens you’d get heating and melting of the crack walls. This would slow everything down: the probe would continue to sink, but over a timescale of several thousand years. I’m also not convinced you could get a signal out using seismic waves, or even measure the temperature.”

This is incredible- to send a molten mass of iron into the core in order to measure the magnetic field-
surely the metal would disrupt the finely balanced rotation of the outer core anyway...
you would end up creating a magnetic anomaly- perhaps even precipitate a pole reversal.

[/doomsday rant]

My main objection is as follows:

What's the bloody point?

Inverurie Jones said:
My main objection is as follows:

What's the bloody point?
A largish lump of diamond.
The leather one on the end.

There could be numerous benefits to such research, particularly in the area of geothermal power. Just the top part of the fissure used to get the probe down could be converted to a power station afterwards. Not to mention the advantages in better understanding of the magnetic forces in the core, which might help with applications in power generation and communications.

Of course, I'm a bit concerned about the use of either a nuke or an "artifical earthquake" to start the process.

As for changing the magnetic field, the injection of a couple hundred thousand tonnes shouldn't make too much difference. Although, iron is a bit expensive, isn't it? What about using molten rock? Surely that would be cheaper.

Fikkie questions: what is the melting point of diamond? As far as I know, this particular form of carbon is naturally formed at high temperature & pressure in the Earth's mantle - would it survive to the core? How do you "read" seismic waves* - if we could do that then we could predict all natural earthquakes? Why is an artificial vent necessary - volcanoes are (as mentioned) already there? What will be the consequences of this action?

Jane.

*S or P waves? Both?

so is science imatating art as usual then? :rolleyes:
there was a story about sending a probe to the center of the earth(title cant rember) then a film (the core (based on the book?))

Meanderer said:
The probe would travel inside the liquid iron, and would have to be made of a substance that could withstand high temperatures. “Obviously you couldn’t use conventional micro-electronics, but diamonds would work well because they’re semiconductors at high temperatures,” Professor Stevenson said.
He can say that again. Even if it all worked, I'm curious as to how he thinks they'd be able to get any sort of electronic communication through 100,000's of tons of molten iron and millions of tons of rock? :confused:

I heard the good professor on the BBC World Service, this morning. He said that at least it 's a new angle on how to tackle the problem. True, but it's still super unlikely.

Maybe they'd tie it onto a big string and pull it out afterwards? :p

Before 'the Core'...

I thought this story reminded me of an old film I saw on TV years ago where an nuclear-tipped missile was fired down into the Earth from an Upside down launch gantry and started to split the world in half. I remembered it was called something like the 'Crack in the World' and googled to this which was made in 1965.

From the press book synopsis at:
http://www.kiva.net/~mmiller/sf/sfm/citw.html

Project Inner Space has reached its critical moment. Stephen Sorensen (DANA ANDREWS), the Nobel Prize winner who heads the scientific task force, rejects the advice of his second-in-command, Ted Rampion (KIERON MOORE), and orders the detonation of an A-Bomb miles below the earth's surface in order to break through to the valuable magma which makes up the earth's core.

Immediately following the explosion, reports of earthquakes begin to come in from various areas of the world. Rampion quickly plots the disturbances as being on the volatile Macedo Fault. The tremors have caused a crack in the world, and unless it is halted, it will circle the globe and bring total destruction to life on the planet. The scientists decide the only way to stop the crack is to explode another nuclear device in its path. Rampion volunteers to lead the dangerous mission. Maggie (JANETTE SCOTT), Sorensen's wife and Rampion's former love, accompanies him.

The bomb, placed inside an island volcano by Rampion, is successfully detonated. Celebration, however, is premature. The crack hasn't been stopped at all; it has changed course and is heading back to its starting point-Central Operations of Project Inner Space. In its path, millions are dying. Central Operations is evacuated. Suddenly Rampion and Maggie notice that Sorensen has not come out. They descend to the innermost chamber of the disintegrating laboratory where Sorensen explains that he is dying of cancer. Realizing they cannot save him, Rampion and Maggie climb to the surface just as the crack converges with its point of origin. Amid a cataclysmic explosion, a large wedge of the earth lifts up and hurtles into space.

A new moon is born-the crack has been stopped.

From the article..
A nuclear explosion of several megatonnes, or another high-energy event such as an earthquake, may be needed to kick-start the metal’s plunge....

It's one of those possible but utterly impractical projects, like the ones to build a Time Machines where you need to round up and arrange several extremely large black holes.

Originally published in the We Hear That... box-out on page 20 of this week's New Scientist. (Editted out everything already mentioned in the Times piece.)

David Stevenson at Caltech in Pasadena admits that his suggestion is "slightly tongue-in-cheek"...

Odd The Times didn't pick up on that...

Here's a link to the New Scientist article.
A proposal to send a probe to the centre of the Earth has been published in a leading scientific journal. The wacky scheme would need the world's largest nuclear bomb and enough iron to fill 13 large concert halls.

David Stevenson at Caltech in Pasadena, California, admits that his suggestion is "slightly tongue in cheek" and faces some massive engineering and funding challenges. But, he says, the proposal has a serious side - highlighting the complete lack of direct knowledge of the Earth's interior.
For Stevenson, it is getting the crack going in the first place that is the big issue. One option would be to use a nuclear device a hundred to a thousand times the size of the Hiroshima bomb. But immediately after the explosion, you would have to inject between 100 million and 10 billion tonnes of molten iron into the resulting crack. "I'm not going to suggest a possible location," he laughs.

Fikkie questions: what is the melting point of diamond? As far as I know, this particular form of carbon is naturally formed at high temperature & pressure in the Earth's mantle - would it survive to the core?
A diamond wouldn't melt 'cos it's just a bit of carbon, but I reckon it'd turn to dust pretty quickly.

I read somewhere that the temperature required to do the job could just about be achieved in a domestic oven, but I can't find the flippin' article to show a source.

Any Boffins out there who can enlighten me?

(a quick edit...)

A hasty search shows that I'm totally wrong (sigh)

Diamond has the highest melting point of any mineral (3820 degrees Kelvin)!

I've said it before and will no doubt say it again..........

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

tampering with nature.....mutter, mutter.......

Back