• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ju-On: The Grudge

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ju-On The Grudge

Is this film any good? I loved Ringu, Dark Water and The Eye, would I like this?

It's more than likely if you enjoyed those but I've heard that the sequel is in fact much better than the first. Get both, go on, treat yerself....you deserve it.

I think Juon: The Grudge is a fantastic little horror movie. The sequel is good also, but I wouldn't say its better at all. It has its intensely creepy moments, but as a whole, I don't think its as coherent as the original.

There are actually four Juon movies in total; two of em being TV movies.

I subscribe already.

I won £10 at the pub quiz last night so I might just go out and buy it.

Seems like the American remake:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391198/

is doing well in the box office:

'Grudge' terrifies competition

Sunday, October 24, 2004 Posted: 2025 GMT (0425 HKT)

BOX OFFICE TOP 10
Following are the top 10 movies at the North American box office for the Oct. 8-10 weekend.

1. "The Grudge," million
2. "Shark Tale," .3 million
3. "Shall We Dance?," .6 million
4. "Friday Night Lights," million
5. "Team America: World Police," .6 million
6. "Ladder 49," .4 million
7. "Surviving Christmas," .5 million
8. "Taxi," .3 million
9. "The Forgotten," .4 million
10. "I (Heart) Huckabees," million

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- "The Grudge," a low-budget horror movie starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, delivered an additional shock Sunday by selling million worth of tickets in its first three days at the North American box office, doubling the expectations of its distributor.

The Columbia Pictures project, a remake of a Japanese haunted-house thriller that was released in the United States earlier this year, took over the No. 1 slot from the cartoon "Shark Tale," which had been the top movie for the past three weeks.

"If we would have done twenty (million dollars), we would have been ecstatic," said Rory Bruer, president of domestic distribution at the Sony Corp.-owned studio.

Gellar, perhaps best-known for playing the title character in TV's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," plays an American in Tokyo who must outwit a ghoulish presence. The PG-13-rated film was directed by Takashi Shimizu, who also made the original, "Ju-On." Bruer said the remake cost less than million to produce, and a sequel is in the pipeline.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/24/box.office.reut/index.html

[edit: Some of the reviews at IMDB suggest the remake is better than the original.]

Am concerned about the US remake.

I know it's supposed to have been directed by the same guy, but the casting of Sarah Michelle Gellar bothers me>

A few of us were discussing, after seeing the UK commercial, that we could swear they'd actually inserted scenes from Buffy into the trailer...

If they haven't, of course, that's just as worrying....

I went to see the Grudge today, very good, very scary, even if it is a remake:D

and radio 4's film programme tonight mentioned it briefly tonight, talking about how japaneese horror films differ from western films, and mentioning the film Dark Water, as one of the scariest films ever

page, with playback option, here

it's on after some guff about Bridget fecking Jones' Dairy:rolleyes:

A few of us were discussing, after seeing the UK commercial, that we could swear they'd actually inserted scenes from Buffy into the trailer...

I went to see the remake of the Grudge last nihgt. I've seen the original, but I'm not q

Whoops, accidentally posted that without meaning to and I'm still not allowed to edit or delete so I can't get rid of it, apologies. Anyway, I have a copy of the original on DVD but I'm not sure whether it's the TV movie or the original Japanese remake, it's very episodic so I assume the former but since I picked it up from a market in Shanghai the text is all in Mandarin on the back, which I don't understand.

Anyway, the remake is very good. The house is the same, I think the kid and the woman are the same (the kid looks PRECISELY as terrifying as he does in the original and the woman - shudder). The shots are the same, the sets are the same, the story is the same, and everything. Sarah Michelle Geller is hardly in it and acts totally fecklessly throughout, so it's not like Buffy at all - she doesn't get angry or act anything other than scared once. She's good. Apart from her, the acting, on the whole, is lousy (with Ted Raimi being perticularly bad, and even Clea Duvall manages to turn in a poor performance) but I cowered on my chair for most of the film, peering from behind my hands. Very good, very scary.

I've seen the trailer for the American one, it's quite scary looking ;) I'm also told it's quite good by someone who saw it this weekend, so perhaps I'll go and see it at some point...

My flatmate went to see it last night and said it was utter rubbish, he is a much bigger fan of these films than i am so i think i'll give it a miss but what i was wondering is have japanese children become this generations version of evil clowns. Will films like the ring and the grudge cause people to start being frightened of japanese kids in the same way that some people are scared to death of clowns (any type of clown not just evil looking ones)

I went and saw this last night and it scared the pants off me. I watched most of it from behind my hands.

It was one of those films where you go "You don't want to do that!" alot. When Yoko investigated the noises I was thinking "Just leave a note saying that there are probably squirrels in the attic and leg it!" And hiding in bed? Noooo!

I usually have to sleep with the light on after watching films like this, but I was fine last night. Probably because I know that there aren't any Japanese vengeful spirits in my house!:D I did however absolutely cack myself while unlocking some rooms in the dark this morning- I literally ran back to the light. I had a vision of the woman and her hair materialising behind me. I'm very sad!

My only other thought on the film was when Clea Duvall was looking all hopeless in the supermarket. All I could think was "Get yourself to Union my love!" which is only funny if you used to be an ex-pat over there ten years ago. So that's just me then.:D

The b/f watched it last night and said he enjoyed it, he said it was scary whilst watching and reminded him of Silent Hill games, why? I don't know...but what he said was enough to make me not want to watch, since I do remember and my imagination would make me suffer for days, whereas he can watch anything and just forget. I want him to watch something one day that stays with him and makes him sleepless, he says it cannot be done.....

So I managed to score 4 free tickets to the cinema and went to the 'the grudge'.

I didn't like it. It didn't scare me or make me jump. I thought they brought the woman in far to early. Also I have seen 'Ringu', 'Dark Water' and 'The Eye', which this seems to rip off. Every one said that the ending was scary but I found it really obvious. (But then, not to blow my own trumpet, I worked out the twist in 'The Village' before the end of the credits)

It's not a bad film but I like my Japanese horror straight!

December 8: Gellar back briefly for new GRUDGE

According to The Hollywood Reporter, actress Sarah Michelle Gellar will play only a small part in THE GRUDGE 2, which reunites her with the original’s director Takashi Shimizu, producers Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Taka Ichise and screenwriter Stephen Susco. Gellar’s character of Karen Davis appears just long enough to pass the curse of an angry ghost on to a new protagonist, played by an actor to be named soon. The sequel rolls in Tokyo next month for Raimi and Tapert’s Ghost House Pictures, with Columbia set to release it October 20 of next year. —Michael Gingold

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5239

Reboot time:

Saw The Grudge 2 a few days ago on Netflix. Some good scenes, people dragged into mirrors, ghosts emerging from developing trays and dragging the photographer in, really threatening corridors. Episodic though but worth watching. Directed by Takashi Shimizu. 6/10.

JU-ON: Origins: A tv series is sort of a prequel, inbetweenquel and sequel to the original Ju-On. The action covers the period 1988 to 1997 but it also strays back to the origins of the curse in 1952. We have angry ghosts, confused ghosts, ghosts who can take on physical forms, time-slips. Much of the horror though is of the more mundane variety be it school bullies tricking a girl to go to the cursed house so that a friend can abuse or domestic violence. Some of this may be brought about by evil spirits but not all. The violence passes on through the generations and families who move into the house meet gruesome deaths. Murders and suicides abound. A dark. disturbing series, season one ends on a cliffhanger. Directed by Sho Miyake, written by Takashige Ichise and Hiroshi Takahashi. 7/10. On Netflix.

Last edited:
Back