Judaism

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
Actually the Romans killed his son..
It was a joint effort by Pilate and the priests, it went like this-
PILATE- "I find Jesus not guilty, he's just a bit nutty that's all"
PRIESTS- "Whoa Charlie, if you set a traitor free you'll end your career slopping out the latrines in the Colosseum!"
PILATE- "Okay I'd better sign the death warrant to cover my ass"

"Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jewish leaders kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."
Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified, so the soldiers took charge of Jesus. " (John 19: 12-16)

It was a joint effort by Pilate and the priests, it went like this-
PILATE- "I find Jesus not guilty, he's just a bit nutty that's all"
PRIESTS- "Whoa Charlie, if you set a traitor free you'll end your career slopping out the latrines in the Colosseum!"
PILATE- "Okay I'd better sign the death warrant to cover my ass"

"Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jewish leaders kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."
Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified, so the soldiers took charge of Jesus. " (John 19: 12-16)
Have to admit I would have been shouting for Barabas.

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
Son of the father, whose name was also allegedly Jesus. It's all very murky, this Bible business.
Murky? Where? How?
We know for sure that Jesus was NOT God because he said so himself often enough, e.g.-
"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)

Some big organised religion cultists say Jesus WAS God, but we don't give a rat's ass what they say, and if the Bible seems "murky" it's their fault for muddying the water.
The ordinary people understood and LURVED Jesus to bits..:)-
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Murky? Where? How?
There just happened to be a person facing crucifixion at the same time whose name was Jesus Barrabas (i.e. Jesus, Son of the Father). But I don't suppose there was any chance that people (who were not alive at the time) recounting this tale many years after the supposed event, confused or conflated any similar sounding characters? That's what I mean by murky.

We know for sure that Jesus was NOT God...
On that much, we can agree.

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
..I don't suppose there was any chance that people (who were not alive at the time) recounting this tale many years after the supposed event, confused or conflated any similar sounding characters? That's what I mean by murky.
Who exactly were these people who you claim "were not alive at the time"?

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
Don't swallow murky atheist propaganda mate, it's pretty common knowledge that Gospel-writers Matthew and John were actual disciples, gospel-writer Mark was a mate of Jesus's right-hand man Peter, and gospel-writer Luke was a mate of Paul..:)

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Don't swallow murky atheist propaganda mate, it's pretty common knowledge that Gospel-writers Matthew and John were actual disciples, gospel-writer Mark was a mate of Jesus's right-hand man Peter, and gospel-writer Luke was a mate of Paul..:)
Most biblical scholars would disagree with you.

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
Most biblical scholars would disagree with you.
I don't have a theology degree but I can modestly claim to know something about the Bible..;)
Anyway a fool with a diploma is still just a fool, sure they might be able to recite pages of scripture but you could train a parrot to do that too.
Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned, and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)

I've been having great fun in internet religious forums for the past 16 years slapping bone-headed fundy religionists around..:)

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
I don't have a theology degree but I can modestly claim to know something about the Bible..;)
Anyway a fool with a diploma is still just a fool, sure they might be able to recite pages of scripture but you could train a parrot to do that too.
Anyone can call someone a fool, but you should really have evidence to back up the claim.

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
Anyone can call someone a fool, but you should really have evidence to back up the claim.
Example- many so-called Christians (and bible scholars) say Jesus WAS God, so that proves they're fools and crackpots because he said more than once that he WASN'T God, e.g-
"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)

You agreed with me in your post #96, so that puts us way above any "scholars" regarding bible knowledge..:)

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Example- many so-called Christians (and bible scholars) say Jesus WAS God, so that proves they're fools and crackpots because he said more than once that he WASN'T God
I was referring more to scholars who study the historical accuracy (or otherwise) of the Bible, without reference to belief/faith. I agree that anyone who thinks Jesus was God is a crackpot, but probably not for the same reasons you do.

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
..I agree that anyone who thinks Jesus was God is a crackpot, but probably not for the same reasons you do.
Yes, many so-called christians are obsessed with the "Trinity" thing and claim God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all wrapped up together like a bag of chips, pickled onion and sausage in batter.
In fact I was warned by a Mod at Christian Forums.net earlier this year for "denying the Trinity" so I walked out because it was like a friggin nuthouse in there.

Waymarker

Devoted Cultist
I was referring more to scholars who study the historical accuracy (or otherwise) of the Bible, without reference to belief/faith..
Blind belief/faith has got zilch to do with it, Jesus strutted his stuff for 3 long years in front of the 5 million population of Israel and the surrounding area, and the 600-strong Roman garrison, that's a lot of eyewitnesses..:)
"Jesus went through all the towns and villages" (Matt 9:35)

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
I went to the Portuguese Synagogue in Amsterdam last Winter.

I have been inside many old churches but this is the first time I've been in an old Synagogue ( I discovered they smell the same)

I was with my friend from Japan and without thinking I commented to him that to me, the big, high windows emphasised the fact that Jehova (or Yahweh) was originally the Canaanite sky god. Yes, I said those names out loud, in a Synagogue! :oops:

I'm particularly fascinated as to how it survived the Nazi occupation. I haven't been able to find any info about that aspect of it's history.

Please enjoy some photos at the link below

Victory

Ephemeral Spectre
The photo can be sign if cookie consent is clicked on.

The Canaanite-Window connection is your opinion, it most certainly is not fact.