• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jurassic Lark? Expedition To Seek Living Dinosaurs In Africa

Monstrosa

C'thuluan Balloon Animal
Last edited by a moderator:
I always think it's nice to hear of such expeditions.
The spirit of adventure is not completely dead.

Though the team members largely lack formal education in biology or zoology, they "anticipate discovering hundreds of new insect, plant and fish species during the course of our research. There is also the legitimate hope of discovering many reptile and mammalian species. We have received reports...in the region of eyewitnesses seeing canine-sized tarantulas, large river dwellingsauropods [dinosaurs], and a species of man-eating fish," McCullah wrote on the website.
He believes that his group's youth and enthusiasm will help them succeed where others have failed.
:roll:
Naive beyond belief. Or perhaps he's a creationist.

Anyway, we already have at least two threads on Mokele-mbembe (without the accents).

Naive beyond belief. Or perhaps he's a creationist

Maybe he's naive but fair play you've got to admire him. Personally I envy his sense of adventure.

I'm not sure about the tranquiliser rifle though, that makes him sound like a bit of a prat.

Good luck to him, i wish i had the get up n go to do stuff like that.

titch said:
Good luck to him, i wish i had the get up n go to do stuff like that.

Good luck indeed if he meets those spiders.

Would a Rhodesian Ridgeback be able to take on such spiders? Maybe a RR/Pitbull cross would do the job.

A hamster could, provided it waited until the animal shed its exoskeleton and collapsed under its own weight.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but it's either that or do some work.

oldrover said:
Naive beyond belief. Or perhaps he's a creationist
Maybe he's naive but fair play you've got to admire him. Personally I envy his sense of adventure.
There are many ways to satisfy a sense of adventure. But claiming to lead a scientific expedition without any qualifications in the relevent subjects is just plain crazy.

How can they discover "hundreds of new insect, plant and fish species during the course of [their] research" when they "lack formal education in biology or zoology"? Without that education, how can they know what's new?

So sensible people are unlikely to sponsor them for their jolly camping trip in the jungle.

Maybe the expedition can stop these dinosaurs from farting us all to death?

There are many ways to satisfy a sense of adventure. But claiming to lead a scientific expedition without any qualifications in the relevent subjects is just plain crazy.

How can they discover "hundreds of new insect, plant and fish species during the course of [their] research" when they "lack formal education in biology or zoology"? Without that education, how can they know what's new?

Yes I suppose you're right, looking at it sensibly, but then they are hoping to find a dinosaur so sense doesn't seem to be playing a big part in their plans.

I do admire them though, how many of us read 'On the track...', in perhaps simpler times of our lives, and thought how much we'd like to give this sort of thing a try, and just went down the pub instead. At least these guys are actually trying to do it.

After all chances are they're not actually going to go, as you say 'sensible' people aren't actually going to sponsor them.

I just think it'd be nice to still believe that the world still has that many possibilities. In reality though, if they're thinking of going to Lake Tele after the Mokele mbembe they could drive nearly the whole way there these days.

I've allways thought Mokele mbembe may be a huge, semi-aquatic monitor lizard and emela-nutoka a rhino.

I'm sure they will find many dinosaurs. And they will all have feathers and say tweet.

lordmongrove said:
I'm sure they will find many dinosaurs. And they will all have feathers and say tweet.
:rofl:

lordmongrove said:
I've allways thought Mokele mbembe may be a huge, semi-aquatic monitor lizard

So why don't the pygmies have a word for it?

oldrover said:
lordmongrove said:
I've allways thought Mokele mbembe may be a huge, semi-aquatic monitor lizard

So why don't the pygmies have a word for it?

'Food'? :)

FOOD! :shock:

Don't forget it's deadly poison to eat. Half a village got wiped out making that mistake.

rynner2 said:
He believes that his group's youth and enthusiasm will help them succeed where others have failed.

While I believe his group's youth and enthusiasm will see them robbed, kidnapped, shot or buggered.

Or all of the above in that or a differing order.

theyithian said:
rynner2 said:

While I believe his group's youth and enthusiasm will see them robbed, kidnapped, shot or buggered.

Or all of the above it that or a differing order.

Probably all four and in that order.

And they really only wanted the last one as well. ;)

Unless those kids take some serious security measures, they may encounter some downright nasty people. Congo is not a good place to be - I've just been reading about some of the bad stuff that's been happening.

Mythopoeika said:
Unless those kids take some serious security measures, they may encounter some downright nasty people. Congo is not a good place to be - I've just been reading about some of the bad stuff that's been happening.

No doubt they will disappear. Eaten? Sex slaves? It will be a mystery that will attract more people to the Congo; some of whom will end up sharing their fate.

It's worth noting that - although I'm sure it has dangers of its own - they are going to Republic of Congo and not their riskier eastern neighbour Democratic Republic of Congo.

Idle thought: is there a country in the world that has the word 'democratic' in its official name that is actually in a believable sense democratic?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea [North], German Democratic Republic [EAST], Democratic Republic of Congo, People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia - all hell-holes!

theyithian said:
Idle thought: is there a country in the world that has the word 'democratic' in its official name that is actually in a believable sense democratic?

Qualifies as irony, doesn't it? :)

Mythopoeika said:
theyithian said:

Qualifies as irony, doesn't it? :)

Exactly!

The CIA were good at setting up their own fronts with Free in the title.

Although it has to be said that the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions is now what it says on the tin.

Some constituents eg the International Transport Federation have taken a hard look at themselves and have admitted they were used in the past.

http://www.itfglobal.org/

http://www.itfglobal.org/files/extranet ... 5-1965.pdf

I think they have a decent chance at filming it, except I think that the tribes-people have hyped it up to be larger than it is. When I was in Cambodia people were telling me about 20 foot crocs that were only 10 feet, if that. So I know how that goes.

Human_84 said:
..I think that the tribes-people have hyped it up to be larger than it is. When I was in Cambodia people were telling me about 20 foot crocs that were only 10 feet, if that. So I know how that goes.
Damn straight. Mind you, the same can happen on the internet, wild claims just waiting to suck in the naive and trusting.

Best of luck to them, nonetheless.

Reactions: Jim
I guess so, but who is really making money off this jungle visit anyway?

Back