• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jurassic World

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I'll admit this had snuck up on me, release date is meant to be next June.

Official trailer is below:

Trailer analysis type stuff if that's your bag:

Official Jurassic World 'spoof' promo website

The movie definitely has a 'new' genetically engineered dinosaur called Diabolus Rex, scrunged together from T. rex, Velociraptor, cuttlefish and snake.

Not confirmed but there seems to be a consensus that the cuttlefish genes give it reactive camoflage, not so sure about the snake, can't see a lot of point in making it venomous when it can eat you whole, so I'm gonna hope for maybe pit viper type infravision

Looks quite good. Could be a worthy reboot for the franchise.

Chris Pratt is having a fantastic time at the moment. Some scientists were complaining the filmmakers had invented a whole new dinosaur for the main opponent instead of using an existing one. I'm just hoping it has frikkin' laser beams on its head.

Some scientists were complaining the filmmakers had invented a whole new dinosaur for the main opponent instead of using an existing one.

Is it just me who finds that absolutely hilarious?

Maybe they should've just made it as "Crocodile World"?

Better still, get accurate with the evolution angle and make Chicken World.

There's online speculation that this time the raptors might be good guys, working alongside the hero to get rid of the greater evil of the genetically created new dinosaurs ... that speculation's coming mostly from the trailer's shot of the raptors running alongside the hero on his motor bike instead of attacking him ..

There is a leaked extended version of the trailer where he seems to be giving the raptors commands, that seems to have evaporated for now although there are a few still shots from it around.

I don't think the raptors are good but they are pack hunters so I guess can be trained. My first thought there is how well that works out with lions and tigers.

Better still, get accurate with the evolution angle and make Chicken World.
I was hoping to see dinosaurs with feathers. In fact, much of the representation of dinos in the previous movies has been shown to be unlikely by subsequent discoveries.

I don't think the raptors are good but they are pack hunters so I guess can be trained. My first thought there is how well that works out with lions and tigers.

I'm picturing the next Jurassic Park film set in Las Vegas, featuring a sensational Siegfried & Roy-type velociraptor-training act.

There's a lot to be said for not making friends with anything that can eat you. At least not while you're still alive. :D

I am almost pathetically eager to see the new Jurassic Park production and will certainly be watching at the cinema, possibly in the the next city which has much bigger cinema screens.

The much-discussed inaccuracies about dinosaur evolution and physiology don't worry me. 's'scifi, innit.

Looks like it's going to be slightly comedic, in a Guardians Of The Galaxy style....could just be Chris Pratt though.

Chris Pratt is having a fantastic time at the moment. Some scientists were complaining the filmmakers had invented a whole new dinosaur for the main opponent instead of using an existing one. I'm just hoping it has frikkin' laser beams on its head.
So long as it isnt Barney the dinosaur, that would be horrific :p
I am looking forward to this film :D

I am almost pathetically eager to see the new Jurassic Park production and will certainly be watching at the cinema, possibly in the the next city which has much bigger cinema screens.

The much-discussed inaccuracies about dinosaur evolution and physiology don't worry me. 's'scifi, innit.

In the context of the JP series, it makes sense that genetically engineered dinosaurs wouldn't look identical to the originals anyway. So stop fretting, scientists!

Tigers aren't pack hunters. They only come together to mate. (Of course, then the female raises the young, but ultimately they go off and leave her alone.)

And there is a difference between "training", where you can get an animal to perform a particular task on command, and "taming" where you feel safe to leave your children around them, unaccompanied. Lions and tigers have been trained successfully for years. Taming, however, has been less successful, and may (if Sir David is to be believed) have led to man-eater attacks in Africa.

It's hard to say just how smart dinosaurs were. We get some ideas from the shape and size of the braincase

Extended trailer that was released for the 'superbowel' slot yesterday:

As far as I can gather from the rumour mill and what little we see here, the Indominus Rex seems now to be a hybrid of a T. Rex plus the most harmful features of, well pretty much anything that's lived. Maybe including opposable thumbs and dislocatable lower jaw among others.

Extended trailer that was released for the 'superbowel' slot yesterday:

As far as I can gather from the rumour mill and what little we see here, the Indominus Rex seems now to be a hybrid of a T. Rex plus the most harmful features of, well pretty much anything that's lived. Maybe including opposable thumbs and dislocatable lower jaw among others.
Cool! Always been pretty unconvinced by pterosaurs being able to carry people off, but what the hell. Looks fun. I'm a bit disappointed they've created a genetically engineered beast (can it even be called a dinosaur?) as the main antagonist. There are so many dinosaurs that have been discovered that could potentially be portrayed as so much more formidable than t-rex. And I can't see people flooding to the park to see a genetically engineered thing that isn't even of prehistoric genetic provenance. Unless the genetically engineered monster does tricks. Juggling, tightrope walking, yodelling the theme tune of The Flintstones.

That is sooooooooo cool, it sent a shiver down my spine, in a good way, to see raptors working with him, i am really looking forward to seeing this. Dont suppose the annoying kids get eaten tho :p

Very much enjoying the creeped-out version of the original theme too....

Was that one of Katy Perry's dancing sharks getting chomped?

I think it says a lot that the dinosaurs are smart enough to open doors or know when the electricity is off while the scientists "in charge" have learned nothing from previous Jurassic Park ventures......

Jurassic World: New Hasbro Toys Reveal the Indominus Rex

As the New York Toy Fair begins, let's return to the world of Jurassic Park...

By Rachel HaasIt's finally here: the first official look at Jurassic World's massive Indominus Rex.

Hasbro has unveiled its Jurassic World line-up of collectibles, which includes the new dinosaur the Indominus Rex. Fans caught a glimpse of the predator during a teaser trailer and via some leaked photos, but now the beast is about to be officially revealed at Toy Fair 2015 in New York this weekend.

Take a look at the dino along with a bunch of other Hasbro Jurassic World toys in the slideshow below:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/13/jurassic-world-new-hasbro-toys-reveal-the-indominus-rex
jurassic-world-indominous-rex-dinosaurjpg-b6e076_960w.jpg

I believe I used to be married to that.

I didn't really see the need for a new sequel, if not for taking into account the recent advances. Notably by showing some feathered non-avian theropods. But thet have chosen to stick their dinosaurs in the 80s, with no justification other than a need to satisfy the early fans. Despite there were no real continuity and consistency problems, it was not difficult to account for new feathered « raptors ». The Jurassic Park movies prided themselves on bringing to the general public the last updates of paleontological knowledge, they had a good occasion to keep on being the ultimate reference for the layman, and they lost it. Now they are in danger of becoming unfashionable ; I have read in magazines or heard in documentaries that the dromaeosaurids were feathered, « unlike in the movie Jurassic Park ».

And Claire Dearing's tagline in the recent teaser that more was learned in 10 years thanks to genetics that in a century by unearthing fossils is priceless ! I suppose they'll be mocked for a century for this one !

The general feeling is that it will be a disguised remake, intended for the fans of the franchise again, with a bunch of blockbustish scenes for the general public (including such clichés as a pteranodon abducting an adult, which is extremely unlikely). As a result, the scenario stretches credulity. They're so dumb that they have still not learned that they need to have in their stores the kind of appropriate weapon to handle a big dinosaur (i.e. 12.7 mm -at least- machine guns, bazookas, grenades...).

But at least some originality is present : now, the two children are the nephews of a high executive of the park. They 're not the grandchildren anymore. A hell of a change !

Last edited:
Where does the idea that children especially like or generally prefer films with children in them come from?
Most of my favourite films as a child certainly didn't have prominent kids' roles. Was I weird?

Back