• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Dominion: Dinosaurs everywhere, yeah they spread out after the escapes in the last film. Of course there's a black market, trading in the creatures. In some places there's a modus vivendi, wonderful to watch brontosauri proceeding stately, respected by loggers. but other outfits illegally trap, breed and export the dinosaurs. Clair Dearing is back combating these trappers, Owen Grady (on horseback) rounds up the animals to be transported to reserves. They both live in a remote cabin in the Sierra Nevada mountains with the cloned Maisie Lockwood. But Maisie is kidnapped along with the baby raptor Beta. A parallel story-line involves Ellie Sattler and Alan Grant trying to solve the riddle of what has caused a plague of giant locusts which is devouring crops and causing famine. They link up with Ian Malcolm. There's also the sinister BioSyn company which runs a dinosaur reserve in a temperate rain forest in the the Dolomite Mountains. The two narratives eventually merge in that valley.

Great scenes of battling dinosaurs but also TV News shows about the problems the creatures cause. Small flying dinosaurs devouring doves released at a wedding, a trawler being dragged under by a sea dinosaur. Planes are brought down by flocks of Quetzalcoatlus and a Giganotosaurus combats a T-Rex. The screenplay won't win an Oscar but there are frightening, amusing and thrilling scenes. Also some excellent scenes of raptors pursuing motorbikes and and chasing people across rooftops. My favourite scene was an escooter rider being plucked up and devoured! A chase movie, an action thriller and a conspiracy involving a Bond style villain. Just enjoy it! Directed by Colin Trevorrow, written by Trevorrow and Emily Carmichael. 7/10.

Jurassic World Dominion: Dinosaurs everywhere, yeah they spread out after the escapes in the last film. Of course there's a black market, trading in the creatures. In some places there's a modus vivendi, wonderful to watch brontosauri proceeding stately, respected by loggers. but other outfits illegally trap, breed and export the dinosaurs. Clair Dearing is back combating these trappers, Owen Grady (on horseback) rounds up the animals to be transported to reserves. They both live in a remote cabin in the Sierra Nevada mountains with the cloned Maisie Lockwood. But Maisie is kidnapped along with the baby raptor Beta. A parallel story-line involves Ellie Sattler and Alan Grant trying to solve the riddle of what has caused a plague of giant locusts which is devouring crops and causing famine. They link up with Ian Malcolm. There's also the sinister BioSyn company which runs a dinosaur reserve in a temperate rain forest in the the Dolomite Mountains. The two narratives eventually merge in that valley.

Great scenes of battling dinosaurs but also TV News shows about the problems the creatures cause. Small flying dinosaurs devouring doves released at a wedding, a trawler being dragged under by a sea dinosaur. Planes are brought down by flocks of Quetzalcoatlus and a Giganotosaurus combats a T-Rex. The screenplay won't win an Oscar but there are frightening, amusing and thrilling scenes. Also some excellent scenes of raptors pursuing motorbikes and and chasing people across rooftops. My favourite scene was an escooter rider being plucked up and devoured! A chase movie, an action thriller and a conspiracy involving a Bond style villain. Just enjoy it! Directed by Colin Trevorrow, written by Trevorrow and Emily Carmichael. 7/10.
I just saw Jurasssic World: Dominion in my local independent cinema, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Of course the Simpsons had it right as usual.

1659099744977.png

This movie was slated virtually everywhere, and the one person I knew who'd seen it at the flicks really disliked it, so it was with trepidation I rented Jurassic World: Dominion from Amazon Prime a few days back. I thought it was great fun. I loved the greater focus on espionage, the new environments in which dinos were encountered, and the new creatures. I thought it was far superior to the two Jurassic World prequels, and probably the best movie in the franchise since The Lost World. I felt this movie being the ending to the Jurassic World trilogy makes the previous two movies better. And I found them rather tedious.

This movie was slated virtually everywhere, and the one person I knew who'd seen it at the flicks really disliked it, so it was with trepidation I rented Jurassic World: Dominion from Amazon Prime a few days back. I thought it was great fun. I loved the greater focus on espionage, the new environments in which dinos were encountered, and the new creatures. I thought it was far superior to the two Jurassic World prequels, and probably the best movie in the franchise since The Lost World. I felt this movie being the ending to the Jurassic World trilogy makes the previous two movies better. And I found them rather tedious.
How many years have I had to wait for my childhood favourite Dimetrodon to turn up! OK, neither dinosaur nor Jurassic, but who cares!

How many years have I had to wait for my childhood favourite Dimetrodon to turn up! OK, neither dinosaur nor Jurassic, but who cares!
Yes, that was very satisfying. A couple of months ago I watched Journey to the Centre of the Earth, a childhood favourite, and the only time I remember having seen dimetrodon in a film before. I loved it at the time, but as an adult, they're just iguanas with prosthetics stuck on. The dimetrodons in JW:D were much better.

Finally got to watch it tonight on Sky UHD.
Certainly spectacular - loved the chase scenes through Valetta's streets and some cheekily knowing one-liners (I'm surprised Jeff Goldblum could keep a straight face when saying "Jurassic World? I wasn't a fan"). Lots of hat-tips to the previous JP movies, not to mention Jaws and Indiana Jones. I reckon executive producer Steven Spielberg was allowed to have a bit of fun with this one!
Plot-wise, it was undeniably pretty simplistic, with the goodies and baddies clearly demarcated and instantly recognisable. But the eco-message showed its heart was in the right place and the 2 hours 27 minutes did go past pretty quickly.
So I'll happily agree with your rating.

Last edited:
Watched it with Techy. Bored me silly, not being a fan of the action genre. Left him with it and went to bed.

I had however been up since 05:30 for work where I'd already done some serious triceratops customer-wrangling. Maybe I'll try again tonight.

I need to rewatch it. I really enjoyed JW1, Fallen Kingdom was OK, but when I watched Dominion it struck me as almost one of those interminable YouTube videos of someone playing a video game. However, I was pretty flu-ed up at the time, so will give it another go.

I need to rewatch it. I really enjoyed JW1, Fallen Kingdom was OK, but when I watched Dominion it struck me as almost one of those interminable YouTube videos of someone playing a video game. However, I was pretty flu-ed up at the time, so will give it another go.
I was perfectly healthy when I watched it yesterday. I shall not be repeating the experience.

Watched it with Techy. Bored me silly, not being a fan of the action genre. Left him with it and went to bed.

I had however been up since 05:30 for work where I'd already done some serious triceratops customer-wrangling. Maybe I'll try again tonight.

Might be a bloke thing.
My wife went to wash her hair half-way through, but rejoined me for the finale.
I would class it similarly to Avatar: The Way of Water - pure, lightweight escapism for 2 or 3 hours. Enjoy the easter eggs within and don't analyse it too deeply!

Yup, I've read criticisms that compare it to a video game. As I don't play them myself I can only conclude that they are terminally boring. :chuckle:

Might be a bloke thing.
My wife went to wash her hair half-way through, but rejoined me for the finale.
I would class it similarly to Avatar: The Way of Water - pure, lightweight escapism for 2 or 3 hours. Enjoy the easter eggs within and don't analyse it too deeply!
Yup again, it struck me as blokey and even adolescent.

Same applied with the second season of Westworld. I'd loved the first series, especially the Shakespearian clues, but the next season opened with a big sustained fight where I couldn't even tell who the goodies and the baddies were. A huge disappointment.

Techy's watched it all but I gave up.

Fighting doesn't interest me. I'm not offended or frightened by it, just bored.
As a kid I learned of a belief that a dull scene in a Western was sometimes followed by a fist fight to liven things up. Perhaps that's behind it.

Back