• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Just To Remind You (1963)

Reply to Stu

sssSounds good, Prost=Cheers Down the hatch,have you tried AYAHUASCA?

Look up the word

Namaste

Ayahuasca

Nope, never tried it - did look it up:
From the Amazonian rain forst comes one of the most potent catalysts for expanded awareness yet discovered by human beings. In Ecuador and Peru this medicine is known as Ayahuasca, a Quechua Indian word meaning, ironically, "vine of the dead". ..... the harmala alkaloids in the Banisteriopsis caapi vine are potent short term MAO inhibitors which synergize with the DMT-containing Psychotria viridis leaves to produce what has been described as one of the most profound of all psychedelic experiences.
Ah! Mere mention and everything starts to become clear...

I give up hallucinogens a long, long time ago, so prob never will get to try it. You have one for me, Bill :).

I wasn't around in 1963. But it sure sounds cool.

Burroughs wrote a book about it, I think. In Search Of Yage, it was called. Well worth reading.

Re: Thanks!!!!

Bill said:
All the stuff you have been putting up about 1963 is great,please keep it up,it takes me back there Beatles,Dave Clark5 even Jerry and the Pacemakers and that VERY LONG COLD WINTER.
Someone on this Forum summed it up very well.
:::::::::He said "In Winter 1963 It felt like the world would freeze, :With John F. Kennedy and the Beatles.:::::::::::::::::::::::"

Thank for the memory.
Bill
;)

In the original edition of "Shout" by Philip Norman, its said the winter was so bad, nobody thought Wales would ever be seen again!

RE:Winter of 63

I saw a program on BBC 2 i think it was, last night HORIZON (The Big Chill)
It showed some great pictures of that winter(GHEE!!! what a flashback)
Nice one.
Bill;)

It always makes me laugh the way us brits get al worried about a bit of cold weather ! As a nipper I spent a lot of time in Northern Canada where it is often -30 -40 for weeks on end and no one bats an eyelid...

- The electircity keeps going
- The water is still on
- People still go to work
- cars still run (although you do have to plug them in at night)
- everyone goes to work

Honestly, I was starting to have big sponaneous guffaws at that horizon programme by the end, in fact we had a sweepstake of how many times they used the words, CATASTROPHIC, DISASTROUS, DEADLY, etc.

You just have to be prepared for it that's all !!!

that Horizon thing were Ok, they have some details one their website, including a full transcript of the show here.

I'm starting to think that they're being a little too keen on these "we're doomed" stories though. In the next few years, according to them, we're going to have that Caldera in Yellowstone Park Erupting , a mega-tsunami hitting the USAs east coast , gamma ray emitting hypernova's , a black hole in the galaxy , and big asteroids.

If you want to find me after those I'll be in a cellar wearing a hard hat, pretending that it would be useful for any of the above.;)

Just about remember 63 winter, great fun, and if Bill is a 1%er I aint taking the p*ss anymore!.:D

Re: Reply to Stu

Bill said:

Look up the word
Okay:
deoxy.org/ayadef

With Ayahuasca, an interior sound is commonly heard, which quite often triggers a spontaneous burst of imitative vocalizings, markedly unlike any conventional human speech or facial contortions. The tryptamines can apparently trigger a kind of rippling of facial muscles, which results in the production of a vocally modulated pressure wave. What is more startling is that the sound, which gains in energy the longer it is sustained, can actually become visible—as if the vibrational wave patterns were shifting into the visible spectrum or inducing a vibrational excitation of the air in such a way as to affect light diffraction. These observations suggest that although the wave is produced with sound, it may possess an electromagnetic component. This peculiar wave phenomenon will continue to be generated out of the mouth and nostrils and will be visible in the surrounding air as long as the vocalizations are continued.
:eek: Errm... Boggle?

Re: Re: Reply to Stu

AndroMan said:
Okay: :eek: Errm... Boggle?
The search engine for forteans

Snow over my wellies as I went to choir practise

The smoke from the fire filling the lounge

Showing off on my bike I had for Christmas and going ass over tip into a nettle bed.

Being aware of the chance that nuclear war was possible

Finding my first Science Fiction story (SF not Scifi - sciffi is a talking wombat and enemy of a certain kangaroo)

Riding into the New Forest on my 11th birthday at 5 am to try and see some deer

Jumping from the top of the shed several times because it felt good

jima said:
that Horizon thing were Ok, they have some details one their website, including a full transcript of the show here.

I'm starting to think that they're being a little too keen on these "we're doomed" stories though. In the next few years, according to them, we're going to have that Caldera in Yellowstone Park Erupting , a mega-tsunami hitting the USAs east coast , gamma ray emitting hypernova's , a black hole in the galaxy , and big asteroids.
If you want to find me after those I'll be in a cellar wearing a hard hat, pretending that it would be useful for any of the above.;)

That's soooo true Jima !!!! I've been thinking this myself for quite a while now, but you're the first other person I've heard to think the same thing !

Ayahuasca

Nope, never tried it - did look it up: Ah! Mere mention and everything starts to become clear...

I give up hallucinogens a long, long time ago, so prob never will get to try it. You have one for me, Bill :).

You learn something new every day--this is that something.

1963? My father was ten years old, so not much going on for me, but I know they called it the Big Freeze, though apparently '78-'79 and '09-'10 were marginally colder.

Looks a little chilly:

EastDundryLane1963.jpg

(Somerset)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom

I recall reading this discussion of how our idea of a British white Christmases is, at least in part, an accident of history delivered via the success of Dickens' novels:

Dickens's most recent biographer, Peter Ackroyd, notes that our image of a snowy Victorian Christmas is a mere accident of history. Although eastern England has a winter climate somewhat more raw than that of Vancouver, British Columbia, Portland, Oregon, or Seattle, Washington, it is by no means as chilly and bleak as Dickens depicts it. "In view of the fact that Dickens can be said to have almost singlehandedly created the modern idea of Christmas, it is interesting to note that in fact during the first eight years of his life there was a white Christmas every year; so sometimes does reality actually exist before the idealised image" (p. 34). Ackroyd points out that Dickens' boyhood Christmases were probably inspired by his father, John Dickens, who until his nineteenth year would have celebrated the season with his parents, butler and maid at the opulent Crewe Hall, where he would have participated with servants and tenants in conjurings, country dances such as Sir Roger de Coverley (footed by Mr. and Mrs. Fezziwig among their apprentices and employees in Scrooge's youth), forfeits, Blind Man's Bluff, and card games such as Speculation. Owing to the fear of drinking contaminated water, various kinds of gin punch such as Purl (beer heated to near-boiling, then flavoured with gin, sugar, and ginger) and Bishop (heated red wine, oranges, sugar, and spices) were consumed by revellers of all ages, again as in the festivities in the Cratchit household.

This all sounds very much like the traditional Victorian Christmas that the British Post Office recalled in a series of five postage stamps marking the 150th anniversary of the publication of A Christmas Carol. As the commemorative stamp packet points out, by the beginning of the nineteenth century the old ceremonies and festivities had become obsolete because, as the poet Robert Southey remarked in 1807, "In large towns the population is continually shifting; a new settler neither continues the customs of his own province in a place where they would be strange, nor adopts those which he finds, because they are strange to him, and thus all local differences are wearing out." Both Sir Walter Scott in 1808 and Washington Irving in 1820 had likewise lamented the passing of the old 'country' Christmas of twelve days of jollity and misrule. By the beginning of the Railway Age in the 1840s many people approaching middle age (as Dickens then was) began to look back nostalgically to the good, old days of coaches and hospitable inns, manorial feasts, and blazing yule-logs. However, Britain was also in need of new Christmas traditions as, for the first time in its history, it had become a nation of urbanites who could hardly afford to take off the twelve days that had constituted the holiday season for their rustic forebears. Enter Charles Dickens... and others.

Full Article:
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/dickens/xmas/pva63.html

The event that I grew up hearing about from grandparents and great uncles and aunts was a decade earlier in 1953.

I used to walk the seawall on Canvey Island with my brother and grandfather: happy memories of bracing days at the seaside.

Re: Thanks!!!!

In the original edition of "Shout" by Philip Norman, its said the winter was so bad, nobody thought Wales would ever be seen again!
I’ve got a feeling I wrote that that under a different re-generation all those years ago!
There’s a Doctor Who reference, as well as two Beatle references in that sentence!

While on the subject of 'years', I've just finished watching an interesting documentary about Britain in the famously scorching summer of 1976:

There's no revolutionary thesis here--beyond the enticing suggestion that the weather itself was a catalyst for dissent and change, but it touches a lot of bases briefly. Just before my birth, but all familiar territory as the strands all survived into my childhood: racism, riots, trades unions, sport, youth culture...

While on the subject of 'years', I've just finished watching an interesting documentary about Britain in the famously scorching summer of 1976:

There's no revolutionary thesis here--beyond the enticing suggestion that the weather itself was a catalyst for dissent and change, but it touches a lot of bases briefly. Just before my birth, but all familiar territory as the strands all survived into my childhood: racism, riots, trades unions, sport, youth culture...

My second visit to the UK was in 1976. I surprised the people back home when I returned with a fetching sundress and a great tan.

...our idea of a British white Christmases is, at least in part, an accident of history delivered via the success of Dickens' novels...

It was no accident of history: it was the end of the Little Ice Age, circa 1550-1850. After the Mediaeval Warm Period, the climate had done what it does: swung back the other way.

[SARCASM]Dickens should have switched his PC right off, not just to Stand By; and the Vikings shouldn't have driven gas-guzzlers.[/SARCASM]

maximus otter

It was no accident of history: it was the end of the Little Ice Age, circa 1550-1850. After the Mediaeval Warm Period, the climate had done what it does: swung back the other way.

[SARCASM]Dickens should have switched his PC right off, not just to Stand By; and the Vikings shouldn't have driven gas-guzzlers.[/SARCASM]

maximus otter

The accident if history was that Dickens universalised his own atypical experience through the popularity of his writing--that could have been different.

I was swallowing Ladybird's. Thousands of them, as far as the eye could see.
I was tearing about obvious to the heat having spent the three previous years acclimatising in Cyprus. You think this is warm? Meh.

I was 8 years old in 1976 and like a Charles Dickens moment I recall my childhood summer holidays as being full of heat and sunshine. Which reminds me of the photo on a Clash album showing a man with dreads walking in front of a line of riot policemen at Notting Hill. It turns out that it was Don Letts, who said he wasn't that brave considering the number of protesters stood behind him. Link here: https://twitter.com/PunKandStuff/status/838085046091268097

Back