• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Just Wondering If There Is A Connection (Asteroid 2002 AA29 & Tunguska)

A

Anonymous

This asteroid comes by every 95 years. So last time it came by was in 1908. hmmmm, 1908? As in June 30th 1908 Tunguska? Just a thought....

Cat-And-Mouse Asteroid Pulls Close to Earth
Fri Jan 3,11:22 AM ET Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An asteroid playing a cat-and-mouse game with Earth will pull to its closest point in almost a century on Monday before swinging away for another 95 years, NASA (news - web sites) said in a statement.

Asteroid 2002 AA29 is like a mouse teasing a cat, approaching Earth first on one side and then on another, without ever making contact or actually passing our planet as the two bodies circle the sun, the astronomers said on Thursday.

At just 200 feet, the tiny asteroid will get within 3.7 million miles on Monday.

This particular asteroid is the first ever found to orbit the sun in nearly the same path as Earth, but never manages to pass it, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration said.

"In some ways, the Earth and this asteroid are like two race cars on a circular track," said Paul Chodas of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. "Right now the asteroid is on a slightly slower track just outside Earth's, and our planet is catching up."

"The combined gravitational effects of the Earth and sun will nudge the asteroid onto a slightly faster track just inside Earth's, and it will begin to pull ahead," he said.

In 95 years, the asteroid will have advanced all the way around to where it is catching up to the Earth from behind. A similar interaction with gravity from both the Earth and sun will then push the asteroid back onto a slower outside track, and the pattern will repeat.

To an observer moving with the Earth, the asteroid appears to trace out a horse-shoe pattern, NASA said.

"There's no possibility that this asteroid could hit Earth, because Earth's gravity rebuffs its periodic advances and keeps it at bay," said Don Yeomans of JPL in Pasadena, California. "The asteroid and Earth take turns sneaking up on each other, but they never get too close."

In about 600 years, though, the little asteroid could start looping around Earth like a distant mini-moon for about 40 years before returning to its cat-and-mouse ways, the astronomers said.

:eek!!!!:

Last edited by a moderator:
in addition to ocean tides, i wonder if this new moon will affect our "sanguine currents"...

Tide Report

We've been having unusually low tides here in California. I didn't stop to think about the effects on the tide. I wonder how such an astronomical event would play out on lycanthropes? Just a thought...:vampire:

well...there would be a lot of activity, i would think. lots of sex and violence...literally. i wonder if this will be the fiery, Hieronymous Bosch-ian orgy of hell that the church has pushing for so long. a rather Feral Apocolypse:vampire:

Back