• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kangaroo Madness

diamonddogs

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Sorry if somebody's posted this already (the search showed nothing and I checked Snopes as well) but I found this quite disturbing:

In Victoria, Australia, kangaroos have come into the city because there's a drought, and the animals are starving and thirsty so are very unpredictable.

A woman has reported that she is terrified of forty seven foot high kangaroos which keep coming into her garden at night, and another resident reported that when he called an ambulance out one night it was blocked in by thirty of them in his driveway.

How scary is that?! Sometimes I wonder if this world is going completely off its head - nothing seems to behave normally any more.

Story

Papa Lazarou said:
A woman has reported that she is terrified of forty seven foot high kangaroos which keep coming into her garden at night, and another resident reported that when he called an ambulance out one night it was blocked in by thirty of them in his driveway.

is that :
  • 47" :eek!!!!:
  • 40 x 7" :wow:
  • 47 x 1" :grouphug:
?

It makes a bit of a difference!

LOL!!

OK let's say 40 kangaroos each standing 2 metres high!

:yeay:

Oh yes good old Skippy tut tut tut tut tut tut ... meant something different every week, he was every but as smart as Lassie

Oh sorry that TV shows thing was a thread on another MB ...

Re: Re: Kangaroo madness

Philo T said:
is that :
  • 47" :eek!!!!:
  • 40 x 7" :wow:
  • 47 x 1" :grouphug:
?

It's none of the above. You're making the Spinal Tap Stonehenge mistake. It should be 47', 40x7', 47x1'. Although 47 kangaroos of one inch in height sound even more appealing.

In response to all the PMs I got on this topic (OK, there was one), we now present a special edition of:
Anome's Secret Life of Animal Vets in Some Burke's Backyard

G'Day Cobbers hawk, spit
Today we have a letter from Papa L:azarou who writes:
Dear Anome,
I've heard that in Australia you have kangaroos hopping down the street. Is this true?

Well, yes and no. You see ordinarily your 'roo likes the open grassland, or maybe a lghtly wooded area with lots of grass, and fresh water about. Roos are normally fairly timid animals, unless cornered, when they can Rip your intestines out with a single kick![/B} So ordinarily, they avoid densely populated areas, so you wouldn't see one hopping across the Sydney Harbour Bridge on its way to the Opera House to see Dame Joan Sutherland. At least not since Dame Joan retired.

Recently, however, Australia has been in the grip of a drought. This means that the creeks and rivers that the kangaroos depend on have been drying up, and the grasslands have become bare, and unable to support them. This forces them in towards the urban areas, where they scare the billy-o out of the locals. Trust me, if you've ever been on your way to the thunderbox in the middle of the night, only to be confronted by a bloody great roo in your path, it makes you reconsider indoor plumbing. (And they never flush.)

Now a number of people have asked about how big a typical roo can get. Well, your females are normally somewhere around 1.2 to 1.5 metres tall, while the males can grow anywhere up to 1.8 (in the case of the Eastern Grey) or 2 metres (for a Red). The Euro has been known to clear 2.25 metres. Which is why it was chosen as the basis for the European currency. They wanted something with a strong growth potential.

Well, that's all I've got time for. So until next time : Don't let the drop-bears get you.

Seriously, this sort of thing has been going on, although I expect 40 to be an exaggeration. But 7 feet high is typical.

Re: Re: Re: Kangaroo madness

Beany said:
It's none of the above. You're making the Spinal Tap Stonehenge mistake. It should be 47', 40x7', 47x1'. Although 47 kangaroos of one inch in height sound even more appealing.

Ha! Another ST fan I presume??!! I heard there were two of us...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kangaroo madness

Papa Lazarou said:
Ha! Another ST fan I presume??!! I heard there were two of us...

I thought they went up to 11

LobeliaOverhill said:
Oh yes good old Skippy tut tut tut tut tut tut ... meant something different every week, he was every but as smart as Lassie
Forgot to sort this earlier: Skippy was somewhat less masculine than Lassie, though.

Lassie was a female collie, played by a male collie. (For behavioural reasons, I believe.)

Skippy was a female kangaroo, played by a female kangaroo. Or rather, several female kangaroos, and a pair of paws on sticks and a bit of fur. (Those last were used for the close-ups.) They needed several kangaroos, as you can only actually teach a kangaroo one trick, so they needed one for each.

Oh, and she was dubbed. By Ed Deveraux (Ranger Matt Hammond). Kangaroos don't sound like that. They actually grunt and growl or something.

And if Timmy hadn't kept on falling down that well, Skippy would have been out of a job anyway.

D'oh!

Although I'm still not sure which is personally more appealing one 47' kangaroo, or 47 1" kangaroos ("ooh! that tickles!")

Inverurie Jones said:
I'll bet 'Skippy' went on the barbeque at the end of each series...
Unlikely. Kangaroo meat wasn't eaten much in the 60s. It was typically seen as only fit for pet-food. (Trivia fact: Skippy The Bush Kangaroo is at least as old as I am, as I can remember the copyright date reading MCMLXVIII.) So her fate was most likely to be a can of Pal.

A breaking news story from Arnhem, in the Netherlands.
http://nos.nl/artikel/376522-arnhemse-kangoeroe-gevangen.html

Arnhemse kangoeroe gevangen

NOS.nl. 24 mei 2012

De kangoeroe die in de bossen bij Arnhem rondsprong, is gevangen. Een dierenarts van Burgers Zoo slaagde er vanmiddag in de kangoeroe te raken met een verdovingsgeweer.

Wat er nu met het dier gaat gebeuren is niet duidelijk. Bij de gemeente Arnhem heeft zich geen eigenaar gemeld. Volgens Omroep Gelderland wordt het dier morgen opgehaald door een particulier die meer kangoeroes heeft.

De Arnhemse kangoeroe werd anderhalve week geleden voor het eerst gesignaleerd. Het dier is vermoedelijk vrijgelaten door iemand die er niet meer voor wilde zorgen.
A kangaroo was captured in the woods around Arnhem today, when a vet shot the beast with a tranquilliser dart.

It was first seen, a week and a half ago. Nobody knows who owns it and nobody has come forward to claim it.

According to the local news in Gelderland, someone who already keeps kangaroos is going to collect it tomorrow.

It's probable that its original owner freed it into the wild when it got too much to look after.

Stampeding kangaroos! 1,000 of them! Vid at link.

An Australian farm owner has posted footage of what happens when you try to take back an animal paddock from a hoard of jumping kangaroos, showing the incredibly nimble critters in a stampede.

Filmed on a farm in Nymagee, New South Wales by Marie Harley last February, she said her family unwittingly provoked the stampede when they drove through the area in a 4x4 vehicle.

Harley and her parents had driven to the paddock where they keep rams to investigate how many kangaroos were now living in the area. Footage of what happened next has now been posted to Facebook racking up views of more than 830,000.

"We knew there was a massive amount of kangaroos in the 100 acre paddock we use for the rams, so Dad and I decided to take mum up in the old land cruiser for a look and took the iPad along with me,” Harley told ViralHog.

“I estimate there to be approximately 900-1000 roos in that paddock at the time. Thought it was worth while taking footage of it as people don't realize the enormity of the problem.”

https://www.rt.com/news/434565-kangaroo-stampede-australia-paddock/

Stampeding kangaroos! 1,000 of them! Vid at link.

An Australian farm owner has posted footage of what happens when you try to take back an animal paddock from a hoard of jumping kangaroos, showing the incredibly nimble critters in a stampede.
A hoard of jumping kangaroos! Like treasure stashed away in a box!

You're assuming he still had them.

No, he'd be a pedigree collie so unlikely to have been castrated. I have read that he was 'taped' for filming. A male was chosen because a female would come into heat and hold up operations.

Edit - I've just done a search and found that a. a male dog was used because it would shed fur less than a female dog would and b. the testicles were squeezed to make him growl!

That's showbiz! I believe the same is true of Steven Seagal.

Not madness, but white roos. Maybe they got a fright.

Drought and the long-term effect of the dingo fence are some of the reasons experts have given for an increase in sightings of white kangaroos in western New South Wales.

10174172-3x2-700x467.jpg

The ABC has received reports of sightings recently from Wanaaring, Kinchega National Park, Yunta and Mount Kaputar.

The rare but beautiful phenomena are the result of either albinism — a genetic mutation causing total lack of pigmentation to the hair, eyes and skin — or leucism, a fault in the pigment cells that may cause white fur, but usually the skin and eyes are unaffected.

Ben Strong, from the Wanaaring store and caravan park, shared an image of a white kangaroo in his area and said he was surprised at the response from other parts of the state.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-29/white-kangaroo-sightings-increase-drought-lack-of-predators/10173648?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=[news_sfmc_newsmail_am_df_!n1]:8935&user_id=0f3f5d15a7d8bacf2e313a6539e10cb0e7f31e7eb3f89a438c4f7177bf3c40d4&WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=Email|[news_sfmc_newsmail_am_df_!n1]|8935&utm_content=ABCNewsmail_topstories_articlelink

WAtch out for kangaroos on Oz airstrips. Interesting court case.

On 25 February 2014, Dr Alterator, the directing mind of Five Star Medical Centre (“the plaintiff”), flew an aircraft owned by the plaintiff from Port Macquarie to Kempsey Aerodrome. On landing at Kempsey Aerodrome in the early afternoon, the aircraft collided with a kangaroo.

The plaintiff brought proceedings in negligence against Kempsey Shire Council (“the defendant”), which owned and controlled the Aerodrome, for the costs of repairing the aircraft. The primary judge held that the defendant breached its duty of care to users of the aerodrome by:

(a) not issuing a notice to airmen (NOTAM) stating that kangaroo incursions onto the aerodrome had increased to dangerous levels; and

(b) not erecting a kangaroo-proof fence around the aerodrome.

At the time of the accident, Dr Alterator was aware of a warning published by Airservices Australia in the En Route Supplement Australia (“ERSA”) Notice for Kempsey Aerodrome, reading “1. Kangaroo hazard exists”.

https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/5c102c67e4b0b9ab40211ff5

WAtch out for kangaroos on Oz airstrips. Interesting court case. On 25 February 2014, Dr Alterator, the directing mind of Five Star Medical Centre (“the plaintiff”), flew an aircraft owned by the plaintiff from Port Macquarie to Kempsey Aerodrome. On landing at Kempsey Aerodrome in the early afternoon, the aircraft collided with a kangaroo. https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/5c102c67e4b0b9ab40211ff5

This story is ridiculous! Don't they know that Australia's premier airline is made up entirely of flying kangaroos? How will they learn to fly if they are never allowed near an airstrip?

This story is ridiculous! Don't they know that Australia's premier airline is made up entirely of flying kangaroos? How will they learn to fly if they are never allowed near an airstrip?
I confess that, on the basis of the size of their back legs, I'd always assumed Kangaroos were VTOL capable.

Back