• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kangaroo / Ostrich / Buffalo Burgers

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Dunno what's going on, but every time I go in Iceland there seems to be something even more unexpected... I don't even eat meat but they are all in the freezers by the door so hard to miss as you walk in.

I asked the lady on the checkout if they really were made out of what it says on the packet ie they're not just called that and she said they were. She said her friend said she'd tried the Ostrich burgers and they tasted kind of like chicken. :rolleyes:

Has anyone here tried these 'exotic meats'?

Ah, that's interesting. Some little hipster chap I vaguely know on Facebook recently posted he'd tried Ostrich Burger. I assumed he must have bought it from some terribly trendy artisan butchers. Iceland, hey?

(I remembered that Ostrich farming was briefly the next big thing back in the 90's, but that the meat was apparently unpleasantly tough, so I asked him about the texture. Apparently, not tough at all.)

I regard this as sufficient excuse to post a link to Alvin Hall getting pecked by ostriches.

Lidls are also flogging these burgers and wild boar steaks .. we've got a box of three ostrich burgers in the freezer.

Not 'burgers', but years ago I tried ostrich, reindeer and wild boar in one experimental week.
The short version is that ostrich was lean and chickeny, reindeer tastes identical to other venison and wild boar is a richer pork with hints of beef - all good.

You'll possibly be confused to hear I haven't eaten meat for twelve years but have a crisp and distinct chemical-memory of the various tastes!

Last edited:
I've tried venison and wild boar, but just thought they were OK. Not really worth the extra cost, I felt.
I've also tried buffalo mozzarella - does that count? Even though I am not a cheese fan.

Not 'burgers', but years ago I tried ostrich, reindeer and wild boar in one experimental week.
The short version is that kangaroo was lean and chickeny, reindeer tastes identical to other venison and wild boar is a richer pork with hints of beef - all good.

You'll possibly be confused to hear I haven't eaten meat for twelve years but have a crisp and distinct chemical-memory of the various tastes!
More confused about whether you tried ostrich or kangaroo in that week.

A friend of mine tried wild boar in a restaurant in Whitby. He liked it. I came so close to trying kangaroo in a pub one lunchtime, but chose a safer option, promising myself I would try kangaroo some time in the future. I still haven't. Do people eat alpaca? I only ask because I see alpaca in fields all over the place.

The Alpaca is farmed mostly for the wool (I believe).

More confused about whether you tried ostrich or kangaroo in that week.

A friend of mine tried wild boar in a restaurant in Whitby. He liked it. I came so close to trying kangaroo in a pub one lunchtime, but chose a safer option, promising myself I would try kangaroo some time in the future. I still haven't. Do people eat alpaca? I only ask because I see alpaca in fields all over the place.

Sorry, it was ostrich! The kangaroo mention is an unedited error.

The Alpaca is farmed mostly for the wool (I believe).
Does alpaca wool have any benefits over sheep wool that justifies its use in a country that already has loads of sheep? It just seems odd to me. I'm actually really fond of seeing alpaca in a field. I'm not trying to get these immigrants chucked out (over here, nicking our livestock's jobs, etc).

I've had buffalo steak while on a trip to Wyoming. It's like beef but a bit gamier, very good, very flavorful though that's probably due to what they've been fed.

I had alligator in Louisiana. Tastes like chicken. No really.

In both cases it was very much locally raised and traditional local cuisine. Don't know that I'd be able to say the same about kangaroo. I hear there are ostrich farms in the US but i'm not sure whether they raise them as food???

Alpaca is softer than most sheep wool. It is also hypoallergenic and can be used by some people who are allergic to sheep's wool. The downside is the fibres have little crimp and slide past each other easily, this causes garments knit from alpaca to grow longer (from hiplength to kneelength is not that uncommon). Suri cria fleece is the most sought after as it is softer and has fewer guard hairs than adult fleeces.

Doubtlessly as a result of starting this thread, I had a dream last night that ended with me trying to eat some very chewy kangaroo meat, I don't recall the flavour in the dream or for that matter if I ever experience flavours in dreams (I suspect not), I was saved from further chewing by the alarm clock.

Doubtlessly as a result of starting this thread, I had a dream last night that ended with me trying to eat some very chewy kangaroo meat.
I hope it wasn't the mention of Rolf Harris coming to a sticky end that made you dream of gagging on kangaroo meat?

I've tried boar sausage and alligator nuggets, though not in the same sitting (or continent, for that matter), and concur with the views above i.e. they taste respectively like pork and chicken. Mind you, the 'gator was covered in BBQ sauce, so it was hard to pick out a strong taste of anything else.

Surely almost any meat can be turned into a sausage? Personally, I'd be far more likely to eat ostriches and kangaroos if they came as a sausage.

One bite of an ostrich burger, it tasted horrible and dark bloody like a clotted nosebleed or something. Spat it out.

Caribou is very nice. Ptarmigan is pretty good.

Goat leaves something to be desired, the one time I tried it, it looked like it had been butchered with a sledgehammer, shards of shattered bone all throughout, nasty, like it had stepped on a landmine. Wonder if it was roadkill. Wonder if it was goat, come to think of it.

Woolworths here sells kangaroo meat. I've tried it and it tastes much like ordinary steak, doesn't have any fat.
On one outback tour we visited a camel farm and the restaurant there was selling camel burgers.
They taste like rather spicy mince.

I was thinking that too. Does Woolies still exist in some strange alternate dimension!

In Victoria, Australia, used to be called Safeway, and it's in other states as well.

Yes...Woolworths really is still alive and kicking in Australia! Fascinating.
I suppose it's because it's a proper supermarket, whereas over here it was a place that sold a lot of cheap household products and sweets, but no food.
We had Safeway over here, but Morrisons bought them out.

"Safeway... Everything you want from a store and a little bit more!" So that's everything you want, everything mind you, and... something you don't want? To be shortchanged? A bad cold? A punch up the throat? What a strange tagline.

I did have ostrich once, probably in the form of a burger. All that pyramid-sold ostrich meat had to go somewhere, I suppose. I found it in a supermarket, quite possibly Safeway - a blast from the past.

In memory it has dwindled to being the ghost of a venison-burger: not bad enough to spit out or good enough to seek out. :confused:

Back