• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kate Bush: Goddess Of Music

Rrose_Selavy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Seems there ia a new album due next year. Have to admit her later work was a llittle patchy but her first two albums (The Kick Inside, Lionheart) are classics -

There's no one like her. Who else was half dressed as a Stunning Pre Raphalite Lion, writing beautful elegant haunting songs about incest, menstruation, closet homosexuals and a a host of Gothic (Fortean) themes.

And she didn't look half bad either.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~twoms/katenews.htm#33

I've not heard that much of her music (largely as I've not got around to it yet, I'm pretty sure my mum has at least one CD). But I do like Cloudbusting, Babooshka and particularly Wuthering Heights ;)

As a long-time fan of her ... more power to her beautiful little wossname!

As well as a great artist, a great looker! My video collection never gets dusty (Babooshka - Hubba Hubba!).

And Fortean too ... Look at Experiment IV!

And as an aside for Kate Bush Fans, check out her collaborations with Roy Harper, some of them are very good.

But yes, Kate Bush is unique and brilliant. Like Roy Harper really.

Everybody loves Kate Bush - the screaming mentalist that she is! :D

she's a talanted lady. I've not heard The Hounds of Love for years. Someting to do with my next giro then...

I think Lionheart is my favorite album by her, but I like all I've heard, even the Red Shoes to some degree.... Hammer Horror, don't leave me alone...

my mum used to work with her dad and my sister used to go to school with her.

Hook Innsmouth said:

Okay - you gots to spill! What was her family's take on her success? Any other goodies?

A nice little ditty on Kate's "Cloudbusting" song. I always thought she was singing about Algernon. Orgonon sounds so much cooler. Nice the way the video apes RL. Utah Saints sampled the "i just know that something good is going to happen" for one of their tunes, i seem to recall?

Cloudbusting:
This is based on Peter Reich's book "A Book Of Dreams" (you can see this book in the video, in Donald Sutherland's pocket). Peter writes about his experience in his youth, when Wilhelm Reich (his father) got problems with the government due to his questionable actions as a scientist. Wilhelm got arrested and died while in prison, and this experience later made the then-9-years-old Peter write "A Book Of Dreams". Wilhelm was arrested for refusing to appear at an arrangement hearing that resulted from a lawsuit by the American FDA for selling his "orgone energy accumulators" across state lines. The FDA said it was quackery to sell these boxes made of aluminum and wood as therapeutic devices; Reich insisted it was serious science and refused to have anything to do with these "spurious" legal restrictions on his research and therapy. Of course, he was quite mad by then - this was nearly a decade after he claimed that orgone energy was not simply the libidinal buildup that resulted from a lack of proper sexual release, but was also the substance out of which the whole universe was formed. Interestingly, several well-known people, including Norman Mailer, had orgone accumulators. More about Wilhelm Reich can be found in the file ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/rec.music.gaffa/kb/reich . [part of this is from JAC (see credits section)]

There is no such thing as a song called Cloudbursting (regard the spelling), and there is no remix of Cloudbusting called The Meteorological Mix, despite of what EMI America wants to tell us. EMI UK isn't really better, for the real spelling of what the world knows as the Organon Mix should have been Orgonon Mix (Orgonon was the name of Reich's home/center in Maine, Orgone energy was Reich's subject of studies). [IED]

The song name comes from hunting clouds, not from breaking them, and the remix called Meteorological Mix is from The Big Sky. There are two remixes of Cloudbusting: The Orgonon Mix and the video version.

TMS said:
Utah Saints sampled the "i just know that something good is going to happen" for one of their tunes, i seem to recall?

Indeed, called Something Good oddly enough ;)

few songs can move me to tears but Lionheart can....many of her songs send a shiver up the back of my head. Love and loss, lust and taboo, magic and mystery... i got go find some now.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Hook Innsmouth said:

Okay - you gots to spill! What was her family's take on her success? Any other goodies?
Nothing to spill I'm afraid. That's about all there was to it. There's always the contrasting story of "she wasn't how she behaved on television" stories, in that she was quite an ordinary, nothing exceptional, sort of young women, but I'm afraid if you're wanting a Paul Burrell expose, you're probably asking the wrong person. Sorry.

I don't even know who Paul Burrel is! :shock: I just thought there might be the odd little tidbit that would fun, versus a tabloid expose.

Like for instance, I worked with a lady whose best friend was one of the mothers of the bassest for REM. And she was saying how the old friends would get together to answer phones and take requests from old friends of the band who wanted to get tickets to a show, or get a message to the band. Sounded like they had fun, and it kept it from growing impersonal.

kate bought one of my friend Carols prints when she had an exhibition in Blackheath...

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
I don't even know who Paul Burrel is! :shock: I just thought there might be the odd little tidbit that would fun, versus a tabloid expose.

Like for instance, I worked with a lady whose best friend was one of the mothers of the bassest for REM. And she was saying how the old friends would get together to answer phones and take requests from old friends of the band who wanted to get tickets to a show, or get a message to the band. Sounded like they had fun, and it kept it from growing impersonal.

Nope. Sorry. Nada! Nothing like that. You know, maybe it's because everyone who came from where I come from is so boring but then go on to do interesting things to make up for the boring home life and child hood years. Steve Davis came from there too, which probably says a lot and that maybe not everyone goes on to do interesting things.

;)

Last night I heard not once but twice the Futureheads' cover version of Hounds of Love, it's pretty good but not as good as the original. The Man With The Child In His Eyes is a wonderful song and if any of you are interested in hearing what a very good DJ can do with it, have a listen to The Document 2 by DJ Andy Smith (Portishead's tour DJ) - he opens with it, and manages to mix it very well into some nice hip hop and funk. It's a great album full stop but the inclusion of Kate Bush is sublime.

Hook Innsmouth said:
... maybe it's because everyone who came from where I come from is so boring but then go on to do interesting things to make up for the boring home life and child hood years. Steve Davis came from there too, which probably says a lot and that maybe not everyone goes on to do interesting things.
;)

It can't be that bad - I lived there from birth up until age 11. It hasn't affected me ... too much! I've done interesting things, seen 'em too!
:D

everyone who came from where I come from is so boring but then go on to do interesting things to make up for the boring home life and child hood years

Lord knows that as a general rule of thumb this is very true.

although an ex of mine came from that neck of the woods Hook and I quite liked it, maybe that says more about me...

There's a Kate Bush song called something like "Running Up That Hill" isn't there? That's really good.

Talk of the Utah Saints up there made me think of them and how they resurrect good singers who've been in the doldrums of late - as well as Kate Bush, they sampled Phil Oakey of the Human League (who has a WONDERFUL voice) on the track that goes "I believe in you, you believe in me, and you know I believe in love" (sample from "Love Action") and did a track fairly recently with Chrissie Hynde called "Lost Vagueness" which is just lovely.

The Hounds of Love is a superb album. Jig of Life and Waking the Witch being my favourites. Must listen to it tonight :D

There's a Kate Bush song called something like "Running Up That Hill" isn't there? That's really good.

Yeah, it is good isn't it. The "Running up that hill" line wasn't the original title she wanted. I think it's subtitled "Make a deal with God" which was the original name, and then her Management agency or her label thought it might cause "religious problems" et voila.

Also the line at the beginning of the Hounds of Love (you know the one - "It's in the trees; it's coming") is from some dodgy English 50's B-movie, so i've read somewhere.

BTW, thanks Colin for the name earlier. Seriously thinking about a 1GBP bid on ebay for the 12" of that little beauty. I have the strangest feeling it would mix almost straight into C'Hantal's "The Realm". Maybe one for my Festivus set...

TMS said:
Also the line at the beginning of the Hounds of Love (you know the one - "It's in the trees; it's coming") is from some dodgy English 50's B-movie, so i've read somewhere.

The Night of The Demon, based on the M.R. James "Passing the Runes"

Stormkhan said:
The Night of The Demon, based on the M.R. James "Passing the Runes"

With the crap looking demon that appears at the beginning and the end (that was put in against the wishes of the director).

Re: a pedant asks

Throw said:
Is it "Casting the Runes"?

It is, I think "passing the runes" comes from the reference from "Science Fiction Double Feature" at the start of Rocky Horror Show:

I knew Leo G. Carroll was over a barrel
When Tarantula took to the hills
And I really got hot when I saw Janet Scott
Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills
Dana Andrews said prunes gave him the runes
And passing them used lots of skills

But when worlds collide, said George Pal to his bride
I'm gonna give you some terrible thrills, like a:

Anyhooo, it were that film! The demon was a real hoot but the rest of the film was pretty good.

From Popbitch: The new Kate Bush album is released at the end of next March and one song is just under 20 mins long.

EDIT and apparently it's based on a post-apocalyptic future theme. Sky and the wires beaten there, I think.

The videos of her songs are very good, each has a story to tell. You don't get Kate Bush baring her bellybutton and pouting at the camera like most of the modern pop divas who think they are stars but are anything but . . .

Carole

Throw said:
although an ex of mine came from that neck of the woods Hook and I quite liked it, maybe that says more about me..
Plumstead or Abbeywood?

Back