• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kate Bush: Goddess Of Music

Let me grab your soul away – Kate Bush and gothic

As our gothic season continues with a dark exploration of romance and sexuality on film, we delve through Kate Bush’s back catalogue and discover how the darker side of cinema influenced some of her greatest hits.

Despite a well-publicised reluctance to perform in front of an audience (her first and only tour was in 1979), Kate Bush has embraced film, and many of her music videos are works of art in themselves. ‘Cloudbusting’ may be the most celebrated, an exhilarating and moving short conceived with Terry Gilliam and starring Donald Sutherland, but the video for ‘Experiment IV’ – a darkly comic tale of government conspiracy starring Dawn French, Hugh Laurie, and Bush as a horrific banshee – has to be seen to be believed.

Movies – specifically gothic horror movies – have had an acknowledged influence on Bush’s back catalogue. ‘Hammer Horror’, named after the British production company, tells of a death and subsequent haunting on the film set of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. One of her most unnerving tracks, ‘Waking the Witch’ from Hounds of Love, imagines the drowning of a woman accused of sorcery and seems indebted to Michael Reeves’s Witchfinder General (1968). Sutherland was cast in the ‘Cloudbusting’ video following his appearance in Don’t Look Now (1973), and she borrowed the choral section of ‘Hello Earth’ – the Georgian folk song ‘Tsin Tskaro’ – from Werner Herzog’s remake of Nosferatu (1979).

As our film season celebrating all things gothic continues to haunt the winter, we’re dusting off our vinyls to revisit some of the gothic highlights from Bush’s remarkable career, and explore the films that helped inspire them...
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news ... ush-gothic

Kate Bush announces first series of live shows since 1979
After a 35 year absence, the singer makes her long-awaited live return with 15 UK tour dates entitled Before The Dawn

Kate Bush will play her first series of shows since 1979, taking place in the UK throughout August and September 2014.

Performing 15 shows at London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith, her Before The Dawn series begins on 26 August and continues into mid September. Announcing the new on her website this morning, the singer posted, “I hope you will be able to join us and I look forward to seeing you there.”

Bush has famously only toured once previously; a six-week jaunt around Britain and mainland Europe. “By the end,” she subsequently recalled, “I felt a terrific need to retreat as a person, because I felt that my sexuality, which in a way I hadn’t really had a chance to explore myself, was being given to the world in a way which I found impersonal.”

Various other theories for her absence from the live circuit have included a fear of flying, perfectionism and the death of her lighting director Bill Duffield, who died in an accident during her 2 April 1979 concert at Poole Arts Centre. In an interview with Mojo magazine in 2011, the 55-year-old also explained that she had also endured extreme exhaustion as a result of the tour.

“It was enormously enjoyable. But physically it was absolutely exhausting,” she said.

“I still don’t give up hope completely that I’ll be able to do some live work, but it’s certainly not in the picture at the moment because I just don’t quite know how that would work with how my life is now,” said Bush.

Combining music, dance, poetry, mime, burlesque, magic and theatre, the show was co-ordinated by the then 20-year-old Bush in conjunction with Anthony Van Laast – who later choreographed the Mamma Mia! movie and several West End smashes – and two young dancers, Stewart Avon Arnold and Gary Hurst. An elaborate set was dominated by a large ribbed screen on to which slides and film footage could be projected.

Performing songs primarily from her first two albums, The Kick Inside and Lionheart, the show played host to 13 performers, 17 costume changes and 24 songs. It also featured her brother John, while Simon Drake performed illusions and magic tricks.

The singer has made isolated and rare appearances since her tour in 1979, performing at a 1982 Prince’s Trust concert, a 1986 Comic Relief show, and additional dates in 1987, including a performance of Running Up that Hill at The Secret Policeman’s Third Ball accompanied by David Gilmour. Bush’s seminal Lionheart Tour was released on home video in 1981, and in 1994 as a boxed set that included a CD version of the performance at Hammersmith Odeon.

Kate Bush released her last album, 50 Words for Snow, in 2011.

Tickets for the shows will go on sale at 9.30 am on 28 March. Purchases are limited to a maximum of 4 per order.
Full tour dates:

26 August - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
27 August - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
29 August - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
30 August - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
2 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
3 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
5 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
6 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
9 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
10 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
12 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
13 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
16 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
17 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
19 September - London’s Eventim Apollo Hammersmith
:_omg:

Call me picky, but that 'tour' doesn't go very far, does it? ;)

I should think she won't be doing any dancing this time around, as she is 55 and fairly...cuddly.

Kate Bush was a bit unlucky with the promo photo, considering the airplane disappearance in Asia...

http://www.katebush.com/news/dawn

A message from Kate...

Hallo everyone,

I was working all day yesterday and so was totally unaware of the reaction, apart from friends who'd told me it had all gone bonkers....I am completely overwhelmed and genuinely shocked by the incredibly positive response from everyone. Thank you!

I am however rather concerned at some comments that have been passed on to me and I feel I should clarify my position.... The image that was chosen to advertise the shows originates from a conceptual piece called The Ninth Wave that was released in 1985. It is about a woman who is lost at sea but is rescued in the end. Months ago I thought that, as part of the show centres around this musical piece, it would hopefully make a dramatic shot. The timing is really unfortunate. There is absolutely no connection with the current tragedy that is heading the news and I apologise from the bottom of my heart if this has in any way upset or at all offended anyone.

Thank you again to everyone who has responded so warmly to the announcement of the shows.
With best wishes,
Kate

http://www.katebush.com/news/message-kate

She switched the photo on the DAWN page. Not sure if it's her latest photo, but she looks great.

After this sell-out tour, her next tour will be when she's 90...

Just waiting for the DVD/Blu-Ray from the concerts.

Sure she will release it pretty fast after the concert "tour" to sell it on the christmas market.

Kate Bush faces a battle to save Devon clifftop home from falling into the sea near Kingsbridge
By Western Daily Press | Posted: September 02, 2014

Kate Bush's big comeback to the top of the pop scene might be spoiled by a sudden fall – as her cliff-top hideaway inches closer to the sea.
The publicity-shy singer, 56, bought the five-bed mansion for a reported £2.5 million in 2005 in a bid to live a quiet life away from obsessive fans.
But last year a huge landslip caused a section of the coast near Kingsbridge in Devon to crumble into the sea and her neighbour's front gate is now just inches from an 88ft drop.

Her 200-year-old property is next in line and council officials last week warned the area is in danger of toppling into the sea unless she invests in pricey re-enforcements.
Steve Gardner, of Devon County Council, said: "If you live there you can either accept it and let your house fall into the sea, or you can take action to prevent further damage, although that can cost hundreds of thousands.
"You can attach netting to the cliff face, or another option is spraying it with concrete, although these are very expensive and not something the council would pay for."

The property, set in 17 acres, rests on a cliff edge in rolling countryside near East Portlemouth in South Devon.
In 2007 she installed CCTV cameras, but removed them just hours before a council was due to meet over complaints they overlooked beach-goers in the cove below.
On Boxing Day 2011, an obsessive fan broke in, prompting the star to install high-security fencing, and blinding spotlights.

She has also spent much of the past decade campaigning to close a footpath around the house. Her wish was granted after part of it fell into the sea during last year's landslip.
Devon County Council subsequently closed off a half-mile section.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Kate ... story.html

I must have sailed by there many times, but years before KB bought it.

Any Kate tour news? I'm in need of a late-January motivational inspiration.

It would've been good to have had a listen, right now, to "Hounds of Love'. But instead, I'd better go to work :oops:

ps Kate we love you....I say this, since, somehow, I've always imagined you might be a FT subscriber, there is just this tiny, more-than-zero chance that you might sometimes read this board xx

Any Kate tour news? I'm in need of a late-January motivational inspiration.

It would've been good to have had a listen, right now, to "Hounds of Love'. But instead, I'd better go to work :oops:

ps Kate we love you....I say this, since, somehow, I've always imagined you might be a FT subscriber, there is just this tiny, more-than-zero chance that you might sometimes read this board xx
While you wait for news:

Kate Bush to release live album from 2014 show

Singer Kate Bush is to release a live recording of her Before the Dawn concert - with no post-show tinkering.
According to her PR, "nothing on the record was re-recorded or overdubbed".

Bush performed 22 sold-out concerts at London's Hammersmith Apollo - her first live performances in 35 years - between 26 August and 1 October 2014.

The live album - attributed to "The KT Fellowship" rather than the 58-year-old alone - will be available on a 3-CD and 4-vinyl set on 25 November.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37507974

Kate Bush to release live album from 2014 show

Singer Kate Bush is to release a live recording of her Before the Dawn concert - with no post-show tinkering.
According to her PR, "nothing on the record was re-recorded or overdubbed".

Bush performed 22 sold-out concerts at London's Hammersmith Apollo - her first live performances in 35 years - between 26 August and 1 October 2014.

The live album - attributed to "The KT Fellowship" rather than the 58-year-old alone - will be available on a 3-CD and 4-vinyl set on 25 November.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37507974

It would be nice to have had a DVD release instead of just audio...

I recently got a magazine that was all about Kate Bush's career, and was shocked to see that Lionheart is often considered the weakest album. Sorry experts - but I dig it! The Sensual World is the one that I haven't clicked with yet...

Back