• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kate Bush yeti song

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Kate Bush has a new song about the yeti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3BzjfAjug4

She mentions my friend Dipu Marek but seems to think he is a place rather than a person! Dipu is from Tura in the Gro Hills and is a yeti hunter. Also, despite the lyrics, the Garos are tropical and have no snow.
Bloody good song though. Kudos for pulling up rhodedendrons and Pangboche.

Perhaps the error is intentional.

She also did an obvious error with the PI song from her studio album Aerial released six years ago. Her PI error has been discussed thoroughly on several forums.

Wild Man was released as a single. Her new album 50 Words For Snow was released a couple of days ago.

Here's a fan made music video which fit the song well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk-52lJXc0I

Kate has made a few forays into Forteana - songs on Wilhelm Reich and Alien Big Cats - not to mention horror movies in 'the Hounds of Love'.

In the Hounds of Love, the quote is from the classic horror Night of the Demon which starts of the track. She hoped to use the actual clip from the film, but in the end just recorded the words for the song: "It's in the tree's - it's coming"

There is also her song Hammer Horror:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4KnfcgLm0

There is also a cool video (that she directed herself) called Experiment IV about a military science experiment gone wrong releasing an otherworldly force:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6hvNe11r9U

Her song Get Out Of My House is inspired by The Shining:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJyp5HaPj68

There could be mileage for a book about Forteana in songs. Anyone recall Abominable Snowman at the Market?

lordmongrove said:
There could be mileage for a book about Forteana in songs. Anyone recall Abominable Snowman at the Market?

Living in the peas and the car-rots

--------

I like the Kate Bush song, seems an improvement on Aerial and sounds, well, more Kate Bush-ey

lordmongrove said:

There's a song which contains the Lyric "Sweet dreams and Thylacines".

I hate hearing it pronounced with an e rather than an i at the end though.

I hate that pronuciantion too! Can ypou remember what the song was called.

"Oh me darlin
Oh me darlin
Oh me dralin thylacine."

Topic-drifting further and further – but I recall from long ago; hearing, and reading words of, a doleful folk-song about convict days in Tasmania, with a convict survivor recalling his and comrades’ miseries – including a couple of lines about having at night to light and tend fires, “For to keep the wolves and tigers off, upon Van Diemen’s Land”. Author of a rather snooty book on folk music in general, quoted the above, and referred to “zoological howlers” on the part of the assumedly uneducated maker of the song. I wanted at the time to write to the guy, c/o his publisher, saying “not howlers at all”, and explaining why – but never got round to it. If I have thylacine-lore rightly, they were unthreatening vis-a-vis humans, and not much to be feared; but it’s a pity to let stuff get in the way of a good song...

No idea what the song was called but I think it's a famous and well known one, by a famous singer songwriter. Just who that is though I've forgotten. All I know was the song, and maybe the singer as well, featured in an early episode of the Simpsons.

I think that horrible pronunciation is more common in places where they drive on the right.

As for the folk music author he wasn't as clever as he thought he was was he. I think I probably would have written him a strong letter, probably either in red crayon or cut out news print.

Thylacines were as you say harmless, but reinforced by the fairly scary night calls of the Devils they were built up to be man eating monsters by the authorities to dissuade thoughts of escape into the forest among the convicts.

By the way did anyone else notice that during one of this forum's fallow periods we had someone pop in and post a possible first hand thylacine sighting a year or so ago?

And we all missed it.

I PM'ed them a while ago but never had anything back.

oldrover said:
lordmongrove said:

There's a song which contains the Lyric "Sweet dreams and Thylacines".

I hate hearing it pronounced with an e rather than an i at the end though.
Interesting. That seems to be the accepted pronunciation. At least, it's common here, and I don't remember anyone, including researchers pronouncing it with a long I.

To continue a theme from an adjacent thread;

That seems to be the accepted pronunciation. At least, it's common here, and I don't remember anyone, including researchers pronouncing it with a long I.

Down with this sort of thing.

No problem. It's a mainland sighting and over quite a long distance, could you see stripes at three hundred feet let alone six?. But it sounds like a sensible account by a reasonable guy.

Saying that this is the cryptid where I definitely wouldn't trust myself not to clutch at straws over. Sadly though I've been doing a fair bit of reading with the aim of doing a thylacine page for Forteana, and I'm less convinced about their still being around.

Probably I should "search before I post", but in this instance, the heck with it -- hasn't someone suggested somewhere, relatively recently, that nature-lovers 100-odd years ago, seeing the thylacine's future in Tasmania as "likely not good", captured a few (both sexes) and released them on the mainland in Victoria? (Or maybe I dreamt the whole thing.)

We could, agreed, do with a centralised thylacine thread / page / site / whatever.

There was a rumor that this had happened around the turn of the 20th century, there were documented conservation moves around this time, but sadly no reference to them involving thylacines. It's probable that some record would remain not least because of the high prices live specimens were commanding by that time.

This flies in the face of popular conception that the thylacine was sen as a worthless pest. People were willing to spend large sums to eradicate them from the wild, and in the zoological community they were gold dust.

In Robert Paddle's book he says that mainland thylacines were around in Victoria till at least the 1830s!
What convinces me that the thylacine is still around is Henry Nix's BIOCLIM work and the excellent narture of some of the witnersses, Hans Narrding, Charlie Beasley etc.
Also on New Guinea were hill tribes have identified pictures of the thylacine as the 'dobsenga' that kills live stock in the mountains.

Humans are so stupid and so much “the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing” (and not in the biblical good way, re that phenomenon). The government paying a bounty of £1 on each dead adult thylacine, and ten shillings on each dead pup – while, as said, ”in the zoological community they were gold dust”. Ah, well, what can you do? (The naturalists counter-offering £5 for every live-trapped specimen? – but no doubt that wouldn’t have been feasible.)

Never before heard of Paddle’s book – but Google has enlightened – Amazon here I come ! Australian mainland, I find hard to believe – but re New Guinea, one feels “anything goes”.

It has been speculated that a small population survives in the Victorian highlands from before the introduction of the dingo (which is usually credited with their extinction on the mainland).

New Guinea is an interesting idea. They would presumably be a distinct species from the Tasmanian or mainland Thylacine, due to the time scale and distances involved.

And the Tasmanian government's bounty on the Thylacine is pretty typical. They made a convenient scapegoat for attacks on sheep which were probably the work of feral dogs. It's politically convenient to blame attacks on livestock on the native, wild animals. Similar approaches were used in America against wolves, with a similar, if not quite so final, effect.

I'm actually surprised there are no tales of populations in Britain, escaped from derelict menageries like the wallabies or kangaroos.

I thought I knew a lot about this subject but Charlie Beasley is a new one on me. Paddle says they were in Victoria in the 1830's?

Lordmongrove what conclusion do you draw from this;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2288692/

I've read it loads f times but to me overall it says, and there's nothing wrong with this, that despite the evidence from the computer modelling when you add in other the evidence the study still isn't coming to any firm conclusions.

(The naturalists counter-offering £5 for every live-trapped specimen? – but no doubt that wouldn’t have been feasible.)

It was a hell of a lot more than that. I can't find the exact figure now, but I intend to fish it out. It really was significant money though. The thing to bear in mind is the last Government bounty was paid in 1901, (although this wasn't the only scheme available aside from private bounties which were common there was the Van Diemens Land bounty scheme too) and the time of the big money from the zoos came later than this, so they never competed. Had they then there would have been more captive specimens, certainly trappers regularly took the bigger private rewards over the government rate.

The trouble is though as we've discussed before there's the woeful captive breeding record. So it's unlikely it'd have made any difference.

They would presumably be a distinct species from the Tasmanian or mainland Thylacine, due to the time scale and distances involved.

I don't think that you're talking about that long since New Guinea was separated from the Australian mainland.

Computer modeling for ploar bear skulls says they are surprisingly weak yet they kill large prey. Apparently there is a similar stuidy on coyote skulls sugessting they are quite weak but they kill sheep and small deer.
What a computor model says an animal can do and what it does in reality are oftern miles apart.
People who lived with the thylacine say that it could and did kill sheep (though not in the numbers the government claimed). Witnesses also said it could bite through a dog's skull. Apparently dogs feared thylacines and would oftern run from them.
The study says, in its round about way, that thylacines had storonger bites than dingos but the skull was less adapted to pulling. This simply means that theyt had differing ways of killing.

Computer modeling for ploar bear skulls says they are surprisingly weak yet they kill large prey.

Very good observation, have you got a link to the study?

To be honest that's pretty much what I took from it. Not the way the press reported it mind.

I was intrigued, bearing in mind the cited studies whose results pointed toward bigger prey, as to whether the results might point toward an actual killing method. Especially in view of the other recent study that found the wrist much more flexible.

Anyone klicking on here expecting to here about Kate's yeti somg will be noneplussed!

I bet Kate Bush is mad on thylacines.

Thanks very much for that link, look forward to reading that tonight.

Back