• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

KEFALONIA

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Going to Kefalonia in May, any Forteana anyone knows about for this island?

Two little tales here: http://kefaloniaisland.com/sp.html

I did a trip from Athens to Rome two years back and passed through Zakynthos and Kefalonia spending 3 or 4 days on each. I'm sure you'll find all the 'sights' on usual tourist sites but suffice to say its a lovely part of the world and the Greek way/pace of life in general is just right (for my temprament at least). Incidently, if you go to the mainpage on that website above there is a small picture of an deep water underground lake (Melissani)revealled after an earthquake - i can't remember the details but you can get a mini boat trip around it and its a nice shade from the heat of the sun. Rent a car and go for a mountainside drive... have fun.

edit: one or two pics here including the Drogorati caves which are quite stunning though a little out of the way if i recall: http://www.greekisland.co.uk/kefalonia/caves.htm

edit 2: i'm bloody jealous looking at those photos has brought back good memories.

Hi McAvennie,

I spent a week on the island last year, at a place called Lourdas. The island is only around 20 miles long, so a car hired for a few days will allow you to see it all.

Drogarati cave and Melissini lakes are close by, near to the town of Sami on the eastern side of the island - where much of Captain Corelli's Mandolin was filmed. The caves are fine, but Melissini - a collapsed cavern with traditions and evidence of Pan-worship - is spectacular, with deep crystal clear blue and torquoise waters - but get there for midday, when the sun is directly overhead for best effect.

The roads are typically Greek, so stay away from the rough and sheer edges, and you'll be fine. Argostoli, the main town is good for eating out and so forth.

For pure sightseeing, Fiskardo in the extreme north of the island opposite Ithaca, is beautiful, as befitting and artists' retreat.

On the southern tip of the island (town's name escapes me, but is as resort-ish as this tiny island gets - which is to say 'not very'), the waters hold turtles, which come ashore to lay their eggs in August. I was there in June, and I had the great pleasure of spotting and swimming with one.

Myrtos Beach, on the western side of the northern spur of the island, is the beach featured most prominently in Captain Corelli's island.

To escape the heat, should you wish, drive up Mount Aenos in the island's centre for cool woodlands and spectacular views over Zakynthos.

Finally, trips are available to the mainland, to Olympia, which I visited a few years ago. Worth the trip, but take a spare shirt, as the heat/humidity is likely to be high and uncomfortable.

All in all, highly recommended.

Cheers,
Lourdas is where we're going. Must remember to book the car :)

So general opinion - real nice place but nothing spooky to speak of :p

Back