• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Philo_T said:
We just saw a tv bio of Edgar Cayce. I never realized he was born very near Hopkinsville, KY.

Maybe the goblins were coming to visit to get a reading.

I knew this fairly early on, because my high school commercial law teacher, J. Clifton Cook, had been born and raised in Hopkinsville and had been reared among people who'd personally known Cayce. Mr. Cook used to tell Cayce stories to the class.

I've sometimes wondered if the Cayce-Hopkinsville and goblins-Hopkinsville connection might be more than simple co-incidence.

OldTimeRadio said:
I knew this fairly early on, because my high school commercial law teacher, J. Clifton Cook, had been born and raised in Hopkinsville and had been reared among people who'd personally known Cayce. Mr. Cook used to tell Cayce stories to the class.

I've sometimes wondered if the Cayce-Hopkinsville and goblins-Hopkinsville connection might be more than simple co-incidence.

Were any of those stories confirmatory, from his childhood perhaps ? When I first came upon Ed Cayce I thought it was a joke, esp in the subject context, Ed Cayce sounds like Head Case which in the UK is a colloquial way of saying mentally ill.

crunchy5 said:
Were any of those stories confirmatory, from his childhood perhaps ?

It was from Mr. Cook that I first heard the story that the young Cayce could read books by simply placing them beneath his pillow as he slept.

When I first came upon Ed Cayce I thought it was a joke, esp in the subject context, Ed Cayce sounds like Head Case which in the UK is a colloquial way of saying mentally ill.

Whatever anybody thinks of Cayce's powers (or even the lack of them), he struck even his skeptics as a decent and caring human being, utterly sincere in his beliefs. People just naturally LIKED him.

P. S. "Head Case" is an Americanism, too.

However, Cayce is pronouced in two syllables, so the term doesn't apply.

PeniG said:
However, Cayce is pronouced in two syllables, so the term doesn't apply.

Heck, I knew that. I cut my poetic teeth on "Head Cayce at the Bat."

Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblins Are Back

...and this time they're posing for photographs.

Have the Kentucky Goblins Returned? Exclusive Photos!

Hello, my name is [David]. I received your contact information through a mutual acquaintance who assures me that you are well equipped to investigate peculiar problems. Furthermore, I believe you may have interest in these events beyond any compensation that I am prepared to deliver in order to have these issues sorted.

For the past 6 months I have been living in a rural home located on the border of West Virginia and Kentucky where my family is nightly assaulted by creatures that I have come to believe are of an extraterrestrial origin. These beings appear to be the size and stature of a small child, devoid of any facial features save for large, oily eyes and lipless mouths. They frighten my children by peering through their bedroom windows, chirping at one another. They actively attempt to enter my home in the middle of the night. Last month they took my dog. The police refuse to provide any further assistance, attributing the problems to wild animals and forwarding my complaints to the state game commission.

I believe they are coming from an abandoned mine located on the edge of my property. Though I’m armed, I’m afraid that I’m far too frightened to enter the mine by my lonesome, and cannot convince any sympathetic friends to accompany me, though I cannot blame them. I am convinced that the only answer is to collapse the mine.

I believe this is where we can be mutually beneficial to one another. If you are prepared to assist me in this matter, I can offer you permission to record and document these events under the condition of anonymity. I can guarantee you evidence of these creatures which I assure you are not “wild animals”.

Please respond ASAP. Thank you.
Full article and context at:

whofortedblog.com/2012/06/20/ret ... e-goblins/
Link is dead. The MIA webpage from WhoForted was apparently migrated to the WeekInWeird site.
The 2012 article (with photos) originally cited here can be accessed in its later incarnation at:
https://web.archive.org/web/2017042...rd.com/2012/06/20/return-hopkinsville-goblins

NOTE:
There was a 2015 update to the WhoForted / WeekInWeird story about the Kelly-Hopkinsville incident. The 2015 follow-on webpage can also be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2017060...-creatures-crashed-ufos-and-the-men-in-black/

Also here at Doubtfulnews;

doubtfulnews.com/2012/06/the-str ... le-goblin/
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2016013...ge-new-case-of-the-kelly-hopkinsville-goblin/

Personally I think it's the tialypo

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds more like a 1970s cheapo cash-in movie adaptation of the original story! It would be great if being shot at hadn't put the Goblins off a return visit, but maybe that state of affairs might not last...

I always loved this original story, theres a funny re-enactment of it here, you need a youtube account to view it though, well worth the effort:

youtube.com/verify_age?next_ ... 09RVyMdnlE
Link is dead. No alternative or archived version found.

Oldrover's post is quite interesting and I wonder if that blog, (it can't be reached), was set up by the Planet Weird people?

They had contact with David and started an investigation there are a few parts:
actually quite good.

There is a round table featuring several paranormal podcasts discussing the Heiller case.

http://www.blurryphotos.org/bp-bonus-hellier-roundtable/

IMO the owl thing isn't as crazy as you might think. Owls aren't ubiquitous, and Great Horned owls even less so. So the idea someone would freak out about them because they'd never seen them before isn't unbelievable. I didn't grow up in an area that has regular sightings of owls. Thing is... it's a relatively rural area. I don't know why there are no owls here, but they're almost never seen here. They're predators, so it might mean their favored prey isn't abundant enough. Looking at the official range data suggests they're something you'd see pretty much everywhere. But you don't often see them in most of that range. I've never seen one in the part of Arkansas I live in and the only times I have seen them was when I was in Colorado for a while.

Personally I actually do find owls to be frightening. It's the cold dread sort of fear though not the "o god get it away" sort of panic. seeing the shadow of a Great Horned owl at night doesn't sound frightening, except that they make no noise. I once had one fly over my head at night in an area lit by lamp posts. It actually made my blood run cold until I saw what it was. I didn't hear it, at all. It flew less than 3 feet from me, but the only way I knew it was there was the shadow it cast on me as it flew between me and the nearest lamp post.

I'm not really sure about this. How much actual physical evidence is there? The first thing I saw as the lead up to them doing the Planet Weird videos on Hellier suggest that there wasn't any physical evidence at all, just a few photos and emails. Which might be fake. As someone once said, it's easy to make a mystery unsolvable in fiction by simply not writing a solution.

June 20, 2012 2:47 am Greg Newkirk
Greg is the contributing editor for Who Forted?, as well as the head movie making dude at Fight or Flight Productions. When he's not occupied by writing about the wide world of the weird, he's busy directing and editing films like The Bigfoot Hunter: Still Searching or perusing used bookstores for antique occult manuscripts. He's currently in pre-production on his latest feature length documentary Planet Weird which you should totally check out (and get cool stuff for helping). He currently lives in Toronto.
interesting. So the article is by Newkirk himself.

Now this is interesting... when you read the book Greenfield wrote that Newkirk references as having found when trying to look up Terry R. Wriste:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/3255122/SECRET-CIPHER-OF-THE-UFONAUTS

Greenfield doesn't present it as fiction. His writings... are... weird, they tie UFOs into ancient cultic ciphers and metaphysical stuff. But he does have something odd to say:
Allen H. Greenfield: Terry, when we first met I certainly knew that "Terry R. Wriste" was a nom de guerre, because you were then writing rather inflammatory stuff about guerilla warfare and revolution, and what-not.
Um, what? that's an odd thing to just drop in at the beginning. What sort of publication was this?

But I digress. The significance is that it implies that this person HAS written stuff on his own. Thus it's not absurd to think that if it's a real person using a pseudonym(or nom-de-guerre, which literally translates as "name of war"), that they'd continue using it.

I personally think it's more likely that Newkirk read Greenfield's book and decided to add this in to spice up the story. If you take the Wriste connection literally, then Wriste was implying that the Greys were pestering Christie because he lived too close to one of their bases. But it doesn't match with what Wriste said in Greenfield's book. In short Wriste described Greys as interstellar conquerors who use mind control to subjugate populations. The general tone of the messages sent to Newkirk by Wriste are different. The weird codes in the second one are the sort of thing he'd do. But they're more taunting than anything useful. Also Terrry R. Wriste was violently confrontational with Greys. Why would he tell someone who isn't to go look at one of their bases? One of the interviews in Greenfield's book described narrowly avoiding getting killed or captured by Greys when he tried poking around one of their bases. In that case he didn't even get close enough to even see the actual base. Why would he try to talk a videographer into doing something that had a high likelihood of death or capture by hostile aliens??

I know it seems like an odd aspect to study, but.... Newkirk keeps talking about the guy. If we assume Newkirk didn't make it up, then Wriste was trying to bait Newkirk into investigating Grey bases when he recommended that Christie contact him. This is indirectly mentioned in what Christie said about having found a cave/mine that the Greys were coming from.

Honestly after pondering the original book, I think Terry Wriste is fully a fictional character. He's this weirdly multi-competent character in the first book, I mean he supposedly takes a ROCK and retrieves a map of alien bases stored as analog optical data in it's crystalline lattice. If you cross reference with what he tells Newkirk, this map he pulled out of the rock is how he knew there was a base at the specific location. This is allegedly something he learned to do from one of his good alien friends; a refugee from Procyon(which has already been taken over by the Greys).

But yeah, this is really weird stuff. It just feels like the sensible thing is to conclude this incident is fiction written by Newkirk.

When my farming friend saw an eagle owl, he mistook it for, you guessed it, a huge owl.

and if they were so busy shooting, why wasnt one bagged?
Reading about it recently, I wondered the same thing. If it were owls, where were the dead owls/feathers?

Owls - the stupidest explanation I've ever heard.
Even assuming the farmers mistook owls for goblins, it still does not match up with the rest of their account of events.

They state they shot at least one creature. That's going to be one dead owl, or at least feathers and blood everywhere.

They states the events lasted for some time. I dont think owls are going to hang out in the area with the number of shotgun blasts they fired at them.

Even assuming the farmers mistook owls for goblins, it still does not match up with the rest of their account of events.

They state they shot at least one creature. That's going to be one dead owl, or at least feathers and blood everywhere.

They states the events lasted for some time. I dont think owls are going to hang out in the area with the number of shotgun blasts they fired at them.
Or alien blood? Your comment made me wonder if they is any physical evidence here.

Along with the Lonnie Zamora case plus a handful of others, this one has always left me scratching my head wondering just what actually happened? There are objects in the sky, reported aliens (and close up contact) and multiple witnesses over the course of some time.
Something strange occurred, but what? It's easy in hindsight to explain it away with plausible explanations, but by all accounts, these people were terrified.
Even assuming they may have been naive, unassuming country folk, lets even allow for the possibility of a good time being had with moonshine before the events took place, these people would have known the area that they lived in and surely would not have found themselves hysterically firing weapons over mistaken bird sightings.
I can't offer up better evidence 65 years after the fact, but it appears to me that something most peculiar took place, and I'd love to know just what.

Along with the Lonnie Zamora case plus a handful of others, this one has always left me scratching my head wondering just what actually happened? There are objects in the sky, reported aliens (and close up contact) and multiple witnesses over the course of some time.
Something strange occurred, but what? It's easy in hindsight to explain it away with plausible explanations, but by all accounts, these people were terrified.
Even assuming they may have been naive, unassuming country folk, lets even allow for the possibility of a good time being had with moonshine before the events took place, these people would have known the area that they lived in and surely would not have found themselves hysterically firing weapons over mistaken bird sightings.
I can't offer up better evidence 65 years after the fact, but it appears to me that something most peculiar took place, and I'd love to know just what.
One thing with Great Horned Owls is that they're migratory solitary birds rarely seen in most of the historically documented range. It's possible no one in the family had seen one simply because, despite allegedly being part of their range, none had actually lived in the county for 20 years.

I have to wonder how one can miss an owl that many times though...

The way the bullets didn't stop them, you'd wonder if they were holograms

I was just looking on Youtube at one of the channels I subscribe to and one of the suggested videos below was this video, released 2 days ago. A nice summation of the story running at 10:42

Interesting. Now I want to see more about separating the fact from fiction here. How many claims were made in the original report? This is the first of these discussions that showed the sketches drawn by the police profiler. thats... a really weird one.

One thing with Great Horned Owls is that they're migratory solitary birds rarely seen in most of the historically documented range. It's possible no one in the family had seen one simply because, despite allegedly being part of their range, none had actually lived in the county for 20 years.

I have to wonder how one can miss an owl that many times though...
As you said the owls are solitary, which does not match the account of the golbins numbers.

Nothing to see here... move along. ;)

2120814_web1_gtr-OutOwl-122919.jpg

I've had discussions with some of my colleagues who have a more thorough knowledge of UFO history and they assert that one should definitely not take the Kelly-Hopkinsville case in isolation. 1955 was not a quiet year for UFO-related flaps. This report from CUFOS is a key piece of literature for context. http://www.cufos.org/books/Close_Encounter_at_Kelly.pdf There were a number of things going on in Ohio in particular (but worldwide) that almost certainly influenced the incident at Kelly.

Also, it was not only skeptics that said owls. According to Wikipedia, French ufologist Renaud Leclet also published something in French with this suggestion.

The "drunk" excuse always bothered me. People don't hallucinate when drunk. Anytime that is brought up for any paranormal claim, I can't see how it's a logical excuse. Edit: They may make mistakes with perception but not that badly.

It's a handy excuse and even if they were drunk, I don't imagine owls hanging around when people are shooting.

Back