• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
An opinion piece from the Kentucky New Era. There's gold in them thar aliens!

Straight & Simple
Making festival an annual event idea worth considering
by CECIL HERNDON

Wonder how many of the 2,000-plus people who attended the various festivities associated with the recent Little Green Men Festival here are true believers in UFOs and visits to Earth aliens from outer space.

The four-day festival, of course, was built around the 50th anniversary of the "Kelly Incident," when a Christian County family reported that a spacecraft landed near its home in the Kelly community and about a dozen space aliens besieged the family for several hours.

Perhaps it doesn't really matter how many attendees believe, how many disbelievers and how many keep an open mind about the UFO phenomenon. The festival went over quite well for a first-time event, and the Chamber of Commerce might do well to make it an annual event.

Even those who scoff at the bizarre tale of a Kelly farm family 50 years ago are open to any suggested reason to party and socialize. For some other festival attendees though, there is a serious side to the story. The Kelly story is either true, or it isn't.

And even if the story is untrue, that doesn't necessarily mean that the people involved conspired to tell a bald-faced lie and never admitted as much.

It isn't uncommon for people to think they see something that isn't there, or to believe what they see actually is something else.

The latter possibility is cited in a variety of theories to explain the incident. According to one theory, the aliens actually were monkeys that escaped a circus wagon. Another theory, advanced by French researcher Renaud Leclet, holds that the reported alien creatures may well have been native eagle owls.

The problem is, though, that two of the alleged adult witnesses -- "Lucky" Sutton and a friend from Pennsylvania -- were workers for a traveling carnival and likely familiar with monkeys. And one might suspect that country people would be familiar with owls.

Truth is, no one still alive knows for sure what happened that night long ago. Surviving children of the alleged witnesses say they saw no aliens, but believe their elders' account of the events.

In any case, it's a marvelous story that remains alive and well after 50 years. And making the Little Green Men Festival an annual event may be an idea worth considering. Now that the seed has been planted, careful nurturing eventually may produce a rich harvest of tourism dollars.

As they say, it could be the start of something big!

source
Link is dead. The MIA article (quoted in full above) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005101...icles/stories/public/200508/31/04xf_news.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I thinks "Signs" had a lot of Hopkinsville overtones to it.

You know, I was actually thinking the same thing last time I read the story.

I love how I get unsubscribed from a thread that I started. :lol:

RainyOcean said:
Actually, I thinks "Signs" had a lot of Hopkinsville overtones to it.

You know, I was actually thinking the same thing last time I read the story.

I love how I get unsubscribed from a thread that I started. :lol:
Happens to us all atm I'm afraid - I don't even bother subscribing to anything these days, I just check new posts and see what grabs my attention :).

Yes, I saw "Signs" again the other day: there's a lot of parallells there (also a nice subtle dig at tin-foil-hat wearing :D).
barfing_pumpkin said:
Didn't this incident fearture in the 70s series 'Project UFO'? I recall an episode in which a load of hicks were holed up in a shack in the middle of nowhere, blasting away at these little glowing aliens which just wouldn't die. I was about nine - I think - when I saw it; scared the bloody hell out of me.
Yep - it was series 1, episode 4, The Howard Crossing Incident.

Kelly-Hopkinsville has always struck me as a solid case, even though we only had witness accounts and no other evidence such as photos, or witnesses from a neighbouring family to corroborate, except for several of them hearing many shots fired late into the early hours, and some also saw lights in the sky. Fame and fortune were definately not pursued by the family, who had to suffer much embaressment over the decades. However, the seven adults and 2 [i think] kids never wavered in their account. Not even a single deathbed recantation, not one!

The strangest thing in this case to me is the way that these creatures were acting, popping up outside the windows, causing the glass to be shot out, or swinging arms from the roof ledge, then after being "shot", floating away only to return. Its almost as if they were teasing the people and having a game of shoot the duck, where they were the ducks!

Personally i belive in this case though have no explaination whatsover as to what happened that night. It is possibly to me the one case i would choose if given a time machine and just one destination.

barfing_pumpkin said:
Didn't this incident fearture in the 70s series 'Project UFO'? I recall an episode in which a load of hicks were holed up in a shack in the middle of nowhere, blasting away at these little glowing aliens which just wouldn't die. I was about nine - I think - when I saw it; scared the bloody hell out of me.

That really rings a bell. Great series. Can't see it on Amazon either. :(

womaniac said:
barfing_pumpkin said:

Project UFO, used to be on 'sky tv' on the Sc-Fi channel in the uk, so i am sure it will be repeated one day. Also there are many places on the net where these sort of tv progs can be "aquired" for free. ie: alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-tv or alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows also alt.binaries.documentaries has a plethora of ufo/alien/strange happenings tv programmes. etc.

zardozzz said:
womaniac said:
barfing_pumpkin said:

Project UFO, used to be on 'sky tv' on the Sc-Fi channel in the uk, so i am sure it will be repeated one day. Also there are many places on the net where these sort of tv progs can be "aquired" for free. ie: alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-tv or alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows also alt.binaries.documentaries has a plethora of ufo/alien/strange happenings tv programmes. etc.

Yeah I know. I acquired Carnivale in the same way, but will buy it, when and if, series 2 becomes available on DVD. However, I don't fancy acquiring another whole series in the same way - it takes too long.

Speaking of 'Project UFO' - I distinctly remember one episode which featured a guy up a tree who was hiding from Robbie the Robot!

Anyone else recall this episode? Or have I got it mixed up with something else.

That one must have been based on the Donald Schrum[*] encounter - another instance of aliens indulging in a all-night siege/shootout - although in this case there was only a single witness, and he defended himself with a bow and arrow rather than a shotgun.

Again, the aliens in the incident act more as if they were indulging in a prank than as though they were seriously trying to invade the planet. They had ample opportunity to capture Schrum, but seemed content to merely toy with him.

Incidentally, I find it fascinating - from the psychosocial perspective - that the aliens encountered by a hunter should behave more like wild animals hunting their prey than like a high-tech abduction party. They corner and circle their victim like wolves, spit 'venom' at him like snakes, and shin up tree trunks towards him like leopards. Why no phasers set on stun?

[*] Link is dead.

See Also:

Cisco Grove / Donald Shrum (aka 'Schrum') Incident (California; 1964)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...um-aka-schrum-incident-california-1964.66278/

Incidentally, I find it fascinating - from the psychosocial perspective - that the aliens encountered by a hunter should behave more like wild animals hunting their prey than like a high-tech abduction party.

Yeah...which brings to mind another episode (at least, I think it was Project UFO): a bunch of people a stranded in a cable car which keeps on being buzzed by this weird-looking UFO (If I recall correctly, it looked like a cupola with a pair of skis hanging out at the sides).

I'm reminded also of the episode that featured the .... damn, can't remember his name offhand, but it was the guy who received some buckwheat pancakes from some aliens who he described as 'looking like Italians'. In the show, the aliens were shown as what we might imagine Jawa to look like with their hoods off: dark, featureless, with two little glowing dots for eyes.

Damn, that was a great TV show.

That would be Joe Simonton.[*] Although it sounds as though the show made the humanoids more 'alien' looking than he actually described them. (BTW, according to Joe, they were clad in knitwear rather than the tight-fitting jumpsuits which seem to be fashionable among most aliens.)

[*] Link is dead. See:
The Joe Simonton / Alien Pancakes Case (Wisconsin; 1961)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ton-alien-pancakes-case-wisconsin-1961.69143/

I've never heard of aliens 'buzzing' a cable car, though.

You can find a breakdown of Project UFO episodes (complete with audio samples and vidcaps) here:

glowingdial.com/ep_guide.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050728105442/http://www.glowingdial.com:80/ep_guide.htm

Kelly Goblins - Another Classic Fortean Event transpired the

Although the co-incidence (?) is not often mentioned, the Kelly Goblin attack occurred on the VERY SAME DAY as (and only a few hours after) the almost equally-famous experience of Mrs. Darwin Johnson, who claimed that she was attacked and nearly drowned by a greenish river monster while swimming in the Ohio River near Evansville, Indiana.

And a glance at the map shows another co-incidence (?) - that the two locations were not all that far apart - right across the toe of the Kentucky slipper.

Well, here's a very recent case with interesting parallels to the Kelly incident - a group of witnesses besieged by strange entities who frighten the life out of them but never physically attack.
Location. Demerdzhi mountain plateau, Crimea, Ukraine
Date: August 21 2005
Time: about midnight

As told by 21-year old Ivan N. a group of 12 tourists, including 7 adults and 5 teenagers, were spending their second day of tour camped on the plateau between northern Demerdzhi and Stol-Gora. Several Moscow residents were in the group. The night was very light and there was a full moon. The children had gone to sleep while the adults sat around. Ivan's assistant Alexander and several more men had gone to nearby woods in order to satisfy some physiological needs. When they returned to the camp they were trembling with fear and then the whole group heard a frightful snarl or growl very close to the camp.

The men went to the perimeter of the camp, Alexander armed with an axe. Moments later they all saw strange creatures resembling "wild men" or animals only a few meters away. There were 3 creatures, about 2 to 2.5m in height, their real height was difficult to establish, because they were bending over and periodically sat down on their front extremities. All three resembled huge apes, and were growling. Their faces were very dark, and the eyes were almost not visible. Their heads were positioned low over their shoulders almost lacking necks. On their backs they had something resembling humps. Alexander was closer and saw that the hairy creatures were covered in light fur on their heads and eyebrows, with some areas on their shoulders. The witnesses could not tell what sex the creatures were.

Creatures appeared to be aggressive but not openly, and appeared more curious. The witnesses became terrified, Alexander trembling with fear. The children woke up and came out of their tents after hearing the growling noises and became terrified with some of the girls crying and screaming. The encounter or "siege" lasted for about 40-45minutes, with all the men becoming impotent due to the terrible fear felt. Finally the strange creatures turned around and walked away in strange manner, like hoping or jumping.

The rest of the night the witnesses were unable to sleep and in the morning they failed to find any tracks or prints since the ground had been covered with a thick layer of fallen leaves. Some of those present attempted to film the event but the film was very poor and indistinct probably because of the poor lighting.

source

sorry for the non-sequitur, but I believe "Kentucky Goblin" would make a fine name for a poor Bourbon. :p /you may now resume your weighty musings

Ivan's assistant Alexander and several more men had gone to nearby woods in order to satisfy some physiological needs.

And:

The encounter or "siege" lasted for about 40-45minutes, with all the men becoming impotent due to the terrible fear felt.

All I can say is that I hope those fellas really satisfied those 'physiological needs', cos it looks like they aren't going to satisfy them again anytime soon.

and I'm sure there's a 'Kentucky gobblin' joke in there somewhere...

Another recent case of aliens besieging a property:

Rancho Cucamonga Sighting Report

The aliens themselves seem rather unbelievable: the small red one covered in green spots with a long snout and furry feet sounds like a mutated Clanger, and the 14-ft-tall one may well be the tallest alien ever reported.

Still, Mr Grimley provides his contact details here, so I guess he's at least sincere. I'm almost tempted to give him a call myself, but what do you say to someone besieged by Clangers?

Well, Sceptic Joe Nickell reckons he's figured out what the goblins were. They were Great Horned owls. Yes - a family of farming folk couldn't recognise owls when they saw them.

Siege of Little Green Men
Link is dead. The article cited is:

Siege Of ‘Little Green Men’: The 1955 Kelly, Kentucky, Incident
Joe Nickell

Skeptical Inquirer
Volume 30, No. 6
November / December 2006

This article is made available only to Skeptical Inquirer subscribers.

(They were little silver men, dagnammit! Why must everyone call them green?)

When my farming friend saw an eagle owl, he mistook it for, you guessed it, a huge owl.

and if they were so busy shooting, why wasnt one bagged?

Philo_T said:
sorry for the non-sequitur, but I believe "Kentucky Goblin" would make a fine name for a poor Bourbon.

Suh, I would have absolutely no respect for anybody seen "goblin" Kentucky Bourbon. And what in the world is a "poor" Bourbon supposed to be?

Sincerely,

OTR (who is a real, live Kentucky Kernel - honest!)

graylien said:
Well, Sceptic Joe Nickell reckons he's figured out what the goblins were. They were Great Horned owls. Yes - a family of farming folk couldn't recognise owls when they saw them.
Siege of Little Green Men

At one time I had a very high respect for Joe Nickell, believing him to be that most rara of avises, an honest Skeptic, or even a "true" Skeptic in the old Roman sense of the word.

But he soon went entirely over to the mindset of the CSICOP dinosaurs and their philosophy of "debunk everything and if you can't disprove something, get people laughing at it."

But isn't the fact that these Great Horned Owls were impervious to bullets sort of paranormal in itself?

I still remember the very first account I read of the "Kentucky Goblins" episode - in the old CINCINNATI TIMES-STAR the day after the events transpired.

The family members had loaded themselves into one automobile and roared into town to report their experience. The mental image I still retain is of people sticking out the windows and holding onto the sides of the vehicle.

They were all absolutely terrified, according to the cops.

Their obvious sincerity highly impressed the police....as well as the 13-year-old OTR (George Wagner).

Owls or no, I think its agreed they had had a big fright, and were sincere.

The Attack of the Zombie Owls

The Attack of the Zombie Owls

Shoot them dead and they come right back!

Kondoru said:
Now thats hardly going to be a blockbuster.....

But we're going to add owls playing Mothman and the Flatwoods Monster, and if we can track down a Sand-Hill Crane we'll have a special cameo guest appearance by the Jersey Devil.

We can't miss!

We just saw a tv bio of Edgar Cayce. I never realized he was born very near Hopkinsville, KY.

Maybe the goblins were coming to visit to get a reading.

Back