• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kevin Smith's Films

A

Anonymous

Re: saw it at the w/e

Quicksilver said:
What a superb film.

There are so many layers to the story, that I'll need to watch it a few times to get to grips with them all.

I'd rate it as one of my favourites, up there with Dogma.

ah ha! Another Dogma fan!

Why does everyone hate that movie so much?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

dogma cats

I certainly don't hate Dogma. After seeing it I thought it the closest thing to a Python film I'd seen in years.

A friend's 15-year old son, who attends a catholic high school, was so taken with Dogma that he wrote a long appreciative review for his school's newspaper. They refused to print and wouldn't admit that it was the film's subject matter that bothered them. They were in high dudgeon about him seeing a 17 rated film w/o an accompanying parent. ( The US rating system is more
restrictive. Billy Elliot was an R or no one under 17, etc. film for petessake!)

Re: dogma cats

condreye buch said:
I certainly don't hate Dogma. After seeing it I thought it the closest thing to a Python film I'd seen in years.

A friend's 15-year old son, who attends a catholic high school, was so taken with Dogma that he wrote a long appreciative review for his school's newspaper. They refused to print and wouldn't admit that it was the film's subject matter that bothered them. They were in high dudgeon about him seeing a 17 rated film w/o an accompanying parent. ( The US rating system is more
restrictive. Billy Elliot was an R or no one under 17, etc. film for petessake!)

it's a shame that the school acted like that. Kevin Smith comented that he wanted to make a film that protrayed religious belief in a positive way.

What would they rather have him watching? The latest slugfestromcomteenmovie crap?

Re: Re: dogma cats

The Virgin Queen said:
Kevin Smith comented that he wanted to make a film that protrayed religious belief in a positive way.

What would they rather have him watching? The latest slugfestromcomteenmovie crap?

Yes, but have you seen Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? Bit of a travesty, especially after Dogma.

Faith from Buffy is its only redeeming feature.

wha? dogma was the most awful thing I have seen in ages - could someone take me through the redeeming features?

Off the top of my head, a smattering of the things that particularly tickled me about Dogma: 60s cult icon Bud Cort (from Brewster McCloud, Gas-s-s-s!, and, of course, the classic Harold and Maude) as a doddery old God getting mugged by The Streethockey Players of the Apocalypse (as I like to think of them).

The Shit Monster.

God on Life-Support.

Jay and Silent Bob blundering along, foul-mouthed and lecherous but still somehow on the right side.

The lovely wee potshots at the Church's half-assed, downright stoopid, attempts at communicating with today's youth (a big thumbs up from JC, indeed).

God played by a singer whose stuff I don't particularly care for, but who isn't allowed to make a sound for her entire screen-time anyway.

Angels as the bad guys.

There's a whole thread on Jay and Silent Robert here

Goes into the whole is Kevin Smith cool or a complete weapon etc, and discussed an interesting site: yeah, this one that "appears" to be designed by an ex Smith employee with a grudge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silent Bob's Oeuvre: The films, comics & book of Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith's films (esp. Dogma) touch on weird topics so anyone else a fan of his work? He also writes quite a few comics and has a book out on his collected writings.

His IMDB entry:
www.imdb.com/name/nm0003620/

He also has a storng web presence:
www.viewaskew.com
www.newsaskew.com
www.moviepoopshoot.com

His blog:
www.silentbobspeaks.com

And he has started a comic book shop in New Jersey with the guy who intorduced him to comics in the first place - Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash:

http://store.yahoo.com/jsbstash/

Although he said he wouldn't go there he is currently working on another Jay and Silent Bob movie and he has been linked with the Green Hornet film (he is linked with a lot more films than he actually ends up being on - he seems to walk from them if he doesn't feel he can work properly on them).

---------
His films include the following (there are some nifty R1 releases which I haven't seen and I'll probably pony up for them - we could do with them being released over here for all those without multiregional DVD players though!!):

-----------
Clerks (1994)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/

10th Anniversary edition:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002DR ... enantmc-20

------------
Mallrats (1995)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0113749/

Nifty R1 edition:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21

-------------
Chasing Amy (1997)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0118842/

-------------
Dogma (1999)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/

2 disc R1 special edition:

------------
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0261392/

-------------
Jersey Girl (2004)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0300051/

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21

==========
There is also a 4 hour DVD of his talks (which looks pretty good):

An Evening With Kevin Smith (2002)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0346952/

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001 ... ntmagaz-21

Banned in Singapore ;)

--
The Clerks animated series (pulled rapidly from the airwaves) is also available as an R1 2 discer with extras:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0210413/

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000054 ... enantmc-20

-----------
Also a guide to his films:

An Askew View: The Films of Kevin Smith

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/15578 ... ntmagaz-21

Oh yeah, it's great stuff.
Loved him since the night I rented Clerks on the off chance it might be good... then after 'Snowball', the phone call to the video warehouse and the chat about contractors on the Death Star, he could do no wrong in my eyes!

Strangley though, as a comic fan, I have never read any of his comic work.

fquake said:
Strangley though, as a comic fan, I have never read any of his comic work.

You can find most of the online at the Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Stash website (its the same Yahoo store I linked to above):

www.jayandsilentbob.com/comicbooks.html

Actually looking down the list although Green Arrow never floated my boat (although I am intrigued by the ones by Kevin Smith) but Karney looks interesting - written and drawn by Bryan "Steve-Dave" Johnson and Walter "Fanboy" Flanagan (respectively):

www.jayandsilentbob.com/karney1.html

Love the films although big chunks of Chasing Amy need enduring rather than enjoying. Clerks in particular remains a big favourite despite the woeful acting. The script rises above the micro budget and the am-dram delivery. Dogma is superb. Even Mallrats with its big studio dilution maintains a high level of laugh-out-loud moments. Ok, so Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was self indulgent and silly but who cares? It was very, very funny. Not too sure about revisiting the Silent Bob era for Smith though, it sounds a bit too much like trying to climb back onto the pedestal after not doing too well recently.

JohnnyMolten said:
Love the films although big chunks of Chasing Amy need enduring rather than enjoying. Clerks in particular remains a big favourite despite the woeful acting. The script rises above the micro budget and the am-dram delivery. Dogma is superb. Even Mallrats with its big studio dilution maintains a high level of laugh-out-loud moments. Ok, so Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was self indulgent and silly but who cares? It was very, very funny.

I totally agree - and oddly you don't mention Jersey Girl ;)

JohnnyMolten said:
Not too sure about revisiting the Silent Bob era for Smith though, it sounds a bit too much like trying to climb back onto the pedestal after not doing too well recently.

There seem to be a range of reasons for it:

One of the things that most prompted Smith to make the film was a promise he made to friend Jason Mewes. If Mewes managed to stay off drugs he would be able to play the character of "Jay" one more time. Smith kept his promise.

Originally, a version of the script for this movie "became" parts of the film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) and Kevin Smith said that that's the closest he'd come to a Clerks. (1994) sequel and that he was putting Jay and Silent Bob to rest. However, after working on the 10th anniversary edition DVD of the original "Clerks", Smith remembered how much he fell in love with the characters and why he got into the movie business in the first place, and decided to make this movie.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0424345/trivia

and there is quite a bit of discussion here:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0424345/board/nest/24775950

--------
As he always says - he doesn't lose studios money so if he thinks he can make a good film then I'll watch it ;)

If you enjoy his films, then you have to get An Evening with Kevin Smith, especially for the Superman anecdotes (the giant spider!) and the story about Prince. Hilarious.

Whatever happened to the Clerks animated film? I liked the series and a uncensored film of it would have been great.

I'm a fan and have seen all the 5 films with Jay and Silent Bob in. :yeay:

Mallrats is my favourite and the funniest part were Brodie gives Brandi's dad the chocolate covered Pretzel when he had his hand down his back. :lol:

Funny when Jay and Silent Bob keep trying to kock La Fours out and eventually does. :lol:

Mighty_Emperor said:
oddly you don't mention Jersey Girl ;)

True. I have no idea if it is any good or not because I was put off by all the terrible reviews at the time of release and the fact that it seemed to be a move away from his usual style into a more mainstream Hollywood type movie. Plus it was all Affleck and no J+SB. I don't know if I was quick to judge though as there have been planty of times that reviews have been poor but I have subsequently enjoyed the film. Does anyone know if it is a hidden gem or a bona fide turkey?

Also, I have got the Clerks and Chasing Dogma comic books and they are worth a look if you like the films. They have the same sense of humour and Chasing Dogma in particular fills in some gaps between the film storylines.

Although it's not my favourite, Dogma is a much better pro-God movie than The Passion of the Christ. If only it hadn't been Alanis flippin' Morrissette!

I saw Dogma and thought it was crap, so I never bothered with the rest.

Dude, don't base the rest Dogma the really funny. Check Mallrats out Dogma wasn't so bad,the poo demon scene was funny.

H_James said:
I saw Dogma and thought it was crap, so I never bothered with the rest.

Yeah I suspect just parachuting into Dogma might not work too well. A lot of characters and/or actors reappear and there are numerous injokes so it'd certianly help to have watched a couple of others first.

Then again its not for everyone ;)

Best of the films, I thought, was Mallrats but I really recomend reading the Clerks holiday special comic too.

Chasing Amy was ok but not as funny as Mallrats and Jay and Slient Bob strike back as it was less humourous and more serious.

Has anybody actually seen Jersey Girl. It's the one Kevin Smith film I managed to sterr clear of after a mate of mine said how much he hated it...

If it's even 10% as bad as Chasing Amy I will be avoiding it like the plague. I'm sorry but I just don't "get" Kevin Smith and Chasing Amy stands as one of the worst films ever made.

Chasing Amy wasn't that bad. Just a bit moreserious thats all.

CodenameThrow said:
If it's even 10% as bad as Chasing Amy I will be avoiding it like the plague. I'm sorry but I just don't "get" Kevin Smith and Chasing Amy stands as one of the worst films ever made.

I actually really liked Chasing Amy. What specifically riubbed you up the wrong way about it?

Jay thought Snoochie Boochies was a childish word in that film! :shock:

Kevin Smith is one of the most overrated and mediocre writer-directors to ever have been thrust upon the world.
It seems as though every year he unleashes yet another of his bland, Affleck starring dirges upon us and it's some how even more average than the previous 'effort'.
I know a lot of people think that he's great and to be honest that doesn't bother me, but for the fact that every interview I've ever seen him in or read in a magazine, Kevin Smith is Kevin Smith's biggest fan.

Okay, rant over. Sorry to have interrupted the flow of things.

Your right about him putting Affleck in his movies though.

Back