• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kidney Stones

Makes your eyes water reading that.

What about this then -

received_494992344373168.jpeg

From the current Private Eye.

Doctors for me tomorrow, I'm fairly sure I've got kidney stones again ..

I've just woken up and thrown up, same symptoms and nausea as before. At least my current job isn't as physically demanding as my last one. Here we go again.

@Swifty - bad news, chap. That's a pity, poor you. Plenty fluids, so as to flush-through, and for upchuck ammunition.

Take advice further on this suggestion, but one of my late lamented aunts swore by seltzer/Andrew's Liver Salts in the context of her kidney stones. Helped them (shall we say) exit the edifice....or suchlike.

Cheers you lot .. we bought a lemon squeezer and some lemons yesterday, the Mrs has made me a pitcher of lemon juice with sugar to dissolve the bastards a bit. It feels like someone's thwacked my nuts with a tea towel again .. though normally I have to pay for that. Or Skargy will do it for free.

Hope it clears up soon Swifty xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
8 month NHS waiting list if it doesn't Shady .. unless I can raise the funds to see Dr Finch and go private again. On the plus side, the newly built Cromer surgery is practically over the road from my house and the hospital I'll be scanned at actually is over the road from that .. and my new job is very laid back compared to my last one, 5 minutes walk from my house and I have my own bathroom. I'll just have to remember to close the window when I puke so the tourists don't hear me. I've also got a secret stash of painkillers in my fridge from the last time, exactly one week's worth which I'll save for when the pain gets worse.

I'm more organised the third time round .. hopefully X

Doctors for me tomorrow, I'm fairly sure I've got kidney stones again ..

I've just woken up and thrown up, same symptoms and nausea as before. At least my current job isn't as physically demanding as my last one. Here we go again.
Good luck buddy, I hope you can get sorted very quickly.

Thanks mate .. I know you've had them as well, they're shit aren't they.
I believe you or another stone-martyr mentioned in an earlier post how difficult it is to describe the pain. It is one of those conditions you have to experience to “appreciate” it.

(Wise old sages start sucking on pipes, slowly nodding to show understanding)

LOL don't they have their own, especially as it is a posh place
Not out in the camping area .. I'm supervising that until end of season with a walkie talkie. I've already sent a test transmission to the owner .. the dead have risen and are on the field I repeat the dead are eating the flesh of the living request immediate army backup over .. the groundsman said I'd obviously just looked in the mirror .. funny bastard ..

I believe you or another stone-martyr mentioned in an earlier post how difficult it is to describe the pain. It is one of those conditions you have to experience to “appreciate” it.

(Wise old sages start sucking on pipes, slowly nodding to show understanding)
I have a new found respect pain after the first time .. the Mrs had fetched me a puke bucket and each time I tried to stand up, I fell over again. I remember hearing the sound of the sweat dripping off my forehead into the bucket and it was dripping almost as fast as the snare drum in 10 15 on a Saturday Night by The Cure then they gave me gas and air so I could stand up to walk assisted to the ambulance. That stuff's a party in a bottle, I was giggling on the way to hospital.

Man, that's bad news. What on earth are you eating or drinking that keeps giving you kidney stones?! Maybe avoid that? Do the docs give you any advice to prevent them? If not, they really should.

Man, that's bad news. What on earth are you eating or drinking that keeps giving you kidney stones?! Maybe avoid that? Do the docs give you any advice to prevent them? If not, they really should.
Everyone absorbs things in different amounts, Swifty gets stones; could be caused by calcium or oxalates. Other people are calcium deficient and have to take supplements. Similarly you find people can suffer from anaemia, iron deficiency, whilst a friend of mine has haemochromatosis which is iron overload. The condition led to the death of his father and he himself has a pint of blood withdrawn regularly which cannot be used due to the excessive iron count.
At the moment we have an NHS which is cash strapped and they will only treat the symptoms of a lot of illnesses; they do not have the resources to carry out extensive testing of each and every person who has a fairly common condition to identify root causes.
If Swifty comes up on the lottery he can book himself into a comfortable private renal unit which can carry out every test under the sun and determine what causes his stones and what to avoid. If he plays his cards right he may point out how repetitious this is to the NHS and they could test the stone after removal to see what the make up of it is. That may help him identify what to avoid.

Other than that it’s a kilo of raw asparagus washed down with a couple of litres of coke each Sunday dinner time. Although I think that may possibly be and old wife’s tale.

Last edited:
I'm guessing milk, cheese or coffee.

Just got off the phone to a co worker/ 'my little sister' .. she's got kidney stones and is in agony .. she's got some codeine based pain killers (which she'll probably puke up if she times necking them wrong) so the 'advice from the hood' I've given her is ..

You're going to be sweating like a bastard .. find the oldest shittiest roughest bath towel you own, one that seems like starch was its best friend and throw that down on your bed .. you're back will be itching as well but this means you won't have to sit up to scratch it, you can just jiggle about on it instead plus if you piss or shit the bed, you're covered

A three speed fan .. at bed level to cool yourself down

A bucket to puke in in case you feel you won't get to the bathroom in time

A rotation of small bottles of water from the fridge with straws in case you can't handle sitting up

.. it's a case of riding it out for months until then.

Just got off the phone to a co worker/ 'my little sister' .. she's got kidney stones and is in agony .. she's got some codeine based pain killers (which she'll probably puke up if she times necking them wrong) so the 'advice from the hood' I've given her is ..

You're going to be sweating like a bastard .. find the oldest shittiest roughest bath towel you own, one that seems like starch was its best friend and throw that down on your bed .. you're back will be itching as well but this means you won't have to sit up to scratch it, you can just jiggle about on it instead plus if you piss or shit the bed, you're covered

A three speed fan .. at bed level to cool yourself down

A bucket to puke in in case you feel you won't get to the bathroom in time

A rotation of small bottles of water from the fridge with straws in case you can't handle sitting up

.. it's a case of riding it out for months until then.
Hope she'll be OK.

Serious question: can you die of kidney stones? Or is it "just" extreme discomfort?

Serious question: can you die of kidney stones? Or is it "just" extreme discomfort?

Generally speaking ... Kidney stones can make you wish for death, but they won't grant the wish in and of themselves.

If they're a secondary effect of a more serious condition, the primary condition may be fatal.

If the stones cause tears in the kidneys or urinary tract this can lead to dangerous - and potentially fatal - infections (sepsis, etc.).

Back