• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids' Creepy Imaginary Friends That Are Probably Demons

One of my kids had an imaginary friend he only ever saw in the graveyard we walked through every day as a shortcut to his primary school. I think he must have been around 5 or 6. I forget her name now, but it was a little girl. And one day I asked him what she looked like. "She's in a wheelchair" he said. FFS. We'd pass the little area of kiddie graves every day, as it was right by the path...

ETA: Not strictly relevant, but a year or two later, a new gravestone appeared. I recognised the names on it - an entire family of 5 kids who'd died in a house fire (accident) in our area - had been all over local news. I'd been waiting a while for my second son to get a place at a special school. Places were like gold dust and not likely to come up for some time... (He was preschool age). One of the children in the house fire had a disability and it turned out she went to the school we were hoping to get Son 2 into. Her death meant - he got a place at that school. Grim as feck. I try not to think about it. Never connected one thing with the other and I have no idea what her disability was - probably not in a wheelchair - just a coincidence. I used to take son 2 with me on that school run, and for a brief time, he was walking past the grave of the child whose school place he 'inherited'.

Should add: Son 1 had the imaginary friend for some time but had stopped seeing her before this little girl died.

All I can say is :omg:

All I can say is :omg:
Snail, I forgot but Son 3 also had an imaginary friend. He'd have been around 5 or 6 when we moved from 150 miles away back to the Yorkshire village where I grew up. The village had a couple of ponds - one I've mentioned here before in relation to an incident also with Son 3. The second pond was an old brickmaking quarry (do they call them quarries?) We'd often drive past it - and son 3 had his imaginary friend at that time. All I remember about the friend was it was a little boy and of course, he'd be the one doing the naughty things Son 3 actually did but blamed on Imaginary Friend. One day, I realised No 3 hadn't mentioned his invisi-pal for some time so I asked where he was. "Oh, he's gone - he's in the ----- Pond" he said, really casually.

Tell you why that made me shiver. Back around 1969 or so, my friend (the childhood friend whose name I loved so much I gave that name to Son 3) was swimming with another lad, in that very pond one summer's day. The friend wwas my best friend's brother and he and I were also good mates. The other lad - I didn't know him so well. Other lad got cramp, out of his depth, and drowned. (Just like those 1970s' public information films). My mate sounded the alarm - I don't remember how - then went to wait for the police. He saw the other lad fished out, dead. (Of course he used to tell us that the pikes had eaten his eyes but am sure he made that bit up).

Son 3 never knew this. I forget the kid's first name but I remember his surname. I'll have to ask my son, now in his 20s, if he can remember his imaginary friend's name.

Must say of all the imaginary friends this one I took the least seriously, as he was always conveniently, upto mischief that I knew damn well my son had actually done... And the lad that drowned was in the year above me, so would have been 9 or so.

Snail, I forgot but Son 3 also had an imaginary friend. He'd have been around 5 or 6 when we moved from 150 miles away back to the Yorkshire village where I grew up. The village had a couple of ponds - one I've mentioned here before in relation to an incident also with Son 3. The second pond was an old brickmaking quarry (do they call them quarries?) We'd often drive past it - and son 3 had his imaginary friend at that time. All I remember about the friend was it was a little boy and of course, he'd be the one doing the naughty things Son 3 actually did but blamed on Imaginary Friend. One day, I realised No 3 hadn't mentioned his invisi-pal for some time so I asked where he was. "Oh, he's gone - he's in the ----- Pond" he said, really casually.

Tell you why that made me shiver. Back around 1969 or so, my friend (the childhood friend whose name I loved so much I gave that name to Son 3) was swimming with another lad, in that very pond one summer's day. The friend wwas my best friend's brother and he and I were also good mates. The other lad - I didn't know him so well. Other lad got cramp, out of his depth, and drowned. (Just like those 1970s' public information films). My mate sounded the alarm - I don't remember how - then went to wait for the police. He saw the other lad fished out, dead. (Of course he used to tell us that the pikes had eaten his eyes but am sure he made that bit up).

Son 3 never knew this. I forget the kid's first name but I remember his surname. I'll have to ask my son, now in his 20s, if he can remember his imaginary friend's name.

Must say of all the imaginary friends this one I took the least seriously, as he was always conveniently, upto mischief that I knew damn well my son had actually done... And the lad that drowned was in the year above me, so would have been 9 or so.

Again I say :omg:

Snail, I don't believe for a minute that invisi-pal was the dead kid, though. It was just creepy, given the history of the pond, that I knew and my son (named after the survivor of the incident) didn't. Son is 25 now and I don't think I ever told him that story - I mean, the 1960s' thing. Wonder if he remembers his invisible friend?

I was eight or nine. One winter evening I was lying in bed and reading the Bible (precocious kid) and I think I was reading the more colourful bits of Revelation. well, as i recall we'd been leafletted by a fringe religious group that was laying out a case for the End Of The World Being Nigh, and this had grabbed my attention. (around 1970-71). To be honest, I was following through the Bible references in the leaflet to see if they really were in the bible or if they'd been made up, and to see what they said in context. Well, I wasn't thinking of it this way, but you get a chapter-and-verse reference like Rev 13:11 (something to do with the Great Beast rising) which I could see was out there on its own. The ten year old me was asking, "yes, what's the rest of the story, what does Rev 13: 1 - 10 say? And after that Rev 13:12 and onwards?"

So I was reading the full story of Revelation to see if this slightly worrying thing about the end of the world was likely, I'd got to the bit about the Great Beast Satan rising up... and as our house was on a coin-payment electricity meter, of course at this moment it tripped and all the light went out. Maybe i was primed for it, but in the sudden unexpected dark I actually for an instant saw the grinning face of Satan - horns, fangs and a look of pure amusement. you do not do this to a ten year old kid... (Somebody downstairs must have had two shillings, as the lights came back up, my heart was pounding, so that was pretty much the end of Bible reading for the night... ) the adult born-again-agnostic remembers and wonders what happened here. The forming child mind that had already been shaken up at a suggestion the Church of England barely touches on, even for adults: it certainly doesn't talk about it to kids in a CoE primary school. So this nutty evangelical group that had leafletted about the End of the World and its imminernt nigh-ness was both familiar and utterly alien - familiiar because it used the same Bible, but alien, because it was using it in a way the Church of England generally doesn't. Conflict of signals. Being me, I was, in a ten year old sort of way, trying to do my own thinking on this. And dived straight into the One At The End Of The Bible that the CoE doesn't talk about very much. Reading- for the first time- about the Apocalypse and all the promised horrors and wondering - is it really going to be now? - And then all the bloody lights go out, just as I'm reading about Satan. An imaginative and fairly bright ten year old trying to do some freelance theology. Wow. no wonder when it all went black, I saw Satan! I'd primed myself to ...

Last edited:
Snail, I don't believe for a minute that invisi-pal was the dead kid, though. It was just creepy, given the history of the pond, that I knew and my son (named after the survivor of the incident) didn't. Son is 25 now and I don't think I ever told him that story - I mean, the 1960s' thing. Wonder if he remembers his invisible friend?
:bump:

:wink2:

My daughter had an imaginary friend she described as a little girl with no face. She lived in our (built-in brick) shed and was called .... Shedi.

After we moved house, my daughter never "saw" her again (but still remembers her over 10 years later). It would be interesting to know if any subsequent families living in that house had any experience of Shedi!
When eldest daughter was three, she got a rocking horse for Christmas. She was at that age of naming things so we asked her what she was going to call him. She confidently named the rather lovely wooden horse 'Light Bulb.' A year or so later she was given a hobby horse - rather a nice one with a red corduroy face. She called him 'Saddy'.

In all other ways she was an imaginative child!

When eldest daughter was three, she got a rocking horse for Christmas. She was at that age of naming things so we asked her what she was going to call him. She confidently named the rather lovely wooden horse 'Light Bulb.' A year or so later she was given a hobby horse - rather a nice one with a red corduroy face. She called him 'Saddy'.

In all other ways she was an imaginative child!
One of mine was given one of those old-fashioned fleecy-body dolls with a plastic face, like a baby in a furry one-piece. As the fabric was green she called her new dolly Greeny. :chuckle:

My daughter had an imaginary friend named Mr Adkins when she was 3/4. She said he would come from one of the neighbour's houses through the wall and complain about how he never saw his family anymore and well, just be miserable really.

We asked her one day if she knew what his first name was, me being into spooky things and wondering if I could find out any history on a Mr Adkins in the local area. A few days later she said that Mr Adkins told her 'It is impertinent for children to ask that question' :oops:

We later found out that a family named Adkins had lived in the house in the 70's that my daughter said her friend came to visit her from. We moved from there in 2012 and she hasn't mentioned seeing him since.

My daughter had an imaginary friend named Mr Adkins when she was 3/4. She said he would come from one of the neighbour's houses through the wall and complain about how he never saw his family anymore and well, just be miserable really.

We asked her one day if she knew what his first name was, me being into spooky things and wondering if I could find out any history on a Mr Adkins in the local area. A few days later she said that Mr Adkins told her 'It is impertinent for children to ask that question' :oops:

We later found out that a family named Adkins had lived in the house in the 70's that my daughter said her friend came to visit her from. We moved from there in 2012 and she hasn't mentioned seeing him since.
Thanks for posting that, I do like it when people actually look up the history to verify , it would be interesting to find out why the said Mr Adkins had been left behind whilst his family have moved on, perhaps a poor lost soul who didn't realise they were dead and trapped in an in between world

One of mine was given one of those old-fashioned fleecy-body dolls with a plastic face, like a baby in a furry one-piece. As the fabric was green she called her new dolly Greeny. :chuckle:
Just went on the BBC app where I seem to have named myself "Arse". I'm "Bollocks" on something else... some of us never grow out of those obvious, childish names it seems.

Awww, he's a pal!
You are too. :cool:
Aw ...you and all.

I don't think he'll ever remember the name now - would have come back to him after I texted, if he remembered it. I can ask his brothers but am sure none of them were interested in their little brother's imagination, back then.

(And they all laugh at my woo).

I once, briefly, went by the nick "Corporeal Punishment".
Back in the 90s, I briefly used the screenname "Anne Widdecombe" in chat rooms, thinking it would repulse men so I wouldn't get the creepy messages. To my horror, I quickly realised it seemed to attract them. Bizarre.

I changed it to the most asexual person's name I could think of, straight away. I was DixonOfDockGreen. Nobody fancied him. It was great.

Back in the 90s, I briefly used the screenname "Anne Widdecombe" in chat rooms, thinking it would repulse men so I wouldn't get the creepy messages. To my horror, I quickly realised it seemed to attract them. Bizarre.

I changed it to the most asexual person's name I could think of, straight away. I was DixonOfDockGreen. Nobody fancied him. It was great.

There's something of the twilight about Anne Widdecombe.

Aw ...you and all.

I don't think he'll ever remember the name now - would have come back to him after I texted, if he remembered it. I can ask his brothers but am sure none of them were interested in their little brother's imagination, back then.

(And they all laugh at my woo).
He will remember. Something will remind him. :wink2:

Intriguing invisible friend account on today's Quora:

"My oldest son experienced creepy unexplained events until he was about four. There were enough that I could write a series about them! I’ll tell you about when it all began…

He was just under a year old and barely talking. Mama, doggie, that sort of thing. One night, he was standing at the end of his crib babbling up a storm in baby talk when all of the sudden, he said “Raymond” as clear as can be. “Blahblah bibbity blah blah, Raymond.” That’s how it came out. He repeated this over and over and started laughing that deep belly laugh that babies do.

The strange thing is that there was no way he could have come up with “Raymond” by any of his experiences. We didn’t know any Raymonds and he didn’t have exposure to anyone who did.

Now this strange phenomenon went on night after night after night, for months. Laughing, talking, holding toys out, and always Raymond. One night, he just stopped. Fast forward a few months, and we moved to a new house. All was well until a few more months after that (he was about 2 1/2 by this time), he came running out of his room, shrieking “Mommy, mommy! Raymond’s here! Raymond came back and found me!” He was ecstatic. We hadn’t heard about or spoken about Raymond for almost a year at that point, so how did this kid remember him? From there, he played with Raymond for another six months or so until we moved again.

Raymond never joined us at the new house, but the things that happened there are stories for another day!
"

Back