• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

Many parents give names that sound great and are unique. I mean 'Raddix' sounds cool - but it's only really cool because it's one extra 'd' away from the Latin for 'Claw'.
Each to their own, an' all that, but what irritates me is trying to be 'original' but without the necessary imagination. Like odd spelling common names - the child will go through life having to correct people, struggle to fill forms etc.
Yeah, I know there's always been alternate spellings but, well, really there's no excuse.
Alan, Allen, Alleyn ... but I expect the existance of Aylln, Aln, Ahlen etc. If the 'old' spelling of a name is too boring for you, pick another one! :)
If I have a kid I'm calling it Stormkhan. Joking aside, a mate's Daughter is called Storm because, he told me, she was conceived on our cliff top during a storm. His Son's called Skyler so I asked him if the lad was conceived on a skylight. The randy sod.

Dunno if we've 'ad this before.
If so, here it is again.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1702110725948.jpg
    FB_IMG_1702110725948.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 48
Skyler is becoming a very popular name in the U.S.
My son was called Laurie Karl. He was named after a very good friend of mine, and his mother liked the name Karl. Had he'd been a girl, it would've been Cally Thane - the first after the character in Blakes 7 and the second after my oldest sister.

Many parents give names that sound great and are unique. I mean 'Raddix' sounds cool - but it's only really cool because it's one extra 'd' away from the Latin for 'Claw'.
Each to their own, an' all that, but what irritates me is trying to be 'original' but without the necessary imagination. Like odd spelling common names - the child will go through life having to correct people, struggle to fill forms etc.
Yeah, I know there's always been alternate spellings but, well, really there's no excuse.
Alan, Allen, Alleyn ... but I expect the existance of Aylln, Aln, Ahlen etc. If the 'old' spelling of a name is too boring for you, pick another one! :)

Claw sounds cool, but unfortunately Raddix is derived from the same source as radish:

Root.

As with eradicate, radical and (possibly) radius, radiation.

Well, Ahlen is a town in Germany. Not to be confused with Aalen.

That husband and wife look very similar, I wonder if they are related?
First cousins at least if not siblings.
They're a type - chubby-faced, genial expression, specs. Many of my extended family look like that.

Looking closer, I notice that it's probably a seasonal photo as taken for a family greetings card. There are two xmas trees behind them and a candle burning in the hearth.

(The candle - no. I fear indoor candles.
Was never too keen, especially when an oil burner leaked and set fire to my coffee table, but a fatal house fire in the next town saw them off in my estimation for good.)

Get a couple of drinks inside a large sample of teachers, and l’d bet a fiver that most of them would be confident of their ability to predict the probable course of many pupils’ futures simply by studying a list of their christian names.

maximus otter

Well, in a society that judges on appearances and names (sometimes by necessity) then it's an indicator. Like the repeated studies that show a persons regional accent affects the way people judge them.

Get a couple of drinks inside a large sample of teachers, and l’d bet a fiver that most of them would be confident of their ability to predict the probable course of many pupils’ futures simply by studying a list of their christian names.

maximus otter
My RE teacher was Jemima Pullham.
We also had a Mr Stretton.
Known in conjunction as Pullham and Stretchum.

Not so many Ruperts, Tamara's and Tarquins at my school though.

We did have a Sharon and Tracy who were best mates and exactly as you would expect..............

My cousin, who recently passed away, was a doctor. Earlier in his life he did voluntary work in a leper colony in the Nepalese mountains. It was three days walk to reach civilization.

He delivered his own baby in the mountains. A local witch doctor oversaw proceedings. He was called Stan.

It was a Sunday night when he was born in a fierce thunderstorm. The witch doctor called him Tamar Samang. I was led to believe this meant Sunday Lightning.

Whilst people he meets may not believe him, I know it to be true.

Well, in a society that judges on appearances and names (sometimes by necessity) then it's an indicator. Like the repeated studies that show a persons regional accent affects the way people judge them.
Ah yes. I have a distinctive west-country twang.

People often underestimate me or expect me to be a bit thick - assumptions and presumptions are there to be confounded!

My old chemistry professor at 6th form, Dr H. , had a real deep farmer's accent but was a superb educator. He took great delight in verbally correcting posh boys' formulae in broad Summerset "No, Tarrqwin, it's C2H6O Ethanowle not Meffanowle ..." etc.,

My cousin, who recently passed away, was a doctor. Earlier in his life he did voluntary work in a leper colony in the Nepalese mountains. It was three days walk to reach civilization.

He delivered his own baby in the mountains. A local witch doctor oversaw proceedings. He was called Stan.

It was a Sunday night when he was born in a fierce thunderstorm. The witch doctor called him Tamar Samang. I was led to believe this meant Sunday Lightning.

Whilst people he meets may not believe him, I know it to be true.

I believe you!

My husband is ethnic Nepalese, and he thinks the language may have been a northern Ghorkhali or Tibetan dialect - in 'everyday' Nepali the name 'Sunday Lightning' directly translates as Eitabhar Gadeng-Gudung!

Last edited:
No, Stan is his child, my cousin was called Chris.

He also worked on the island of Unst, if I wrote Scotland on the address it would not be delivered.

Stan is on the autistic spectrum. Twice when to!d off he reacted. Once he let the chickens into the house. The second time he shat in his satchel with his homework in a d stood on it.

I recall that in Nepal they had flat roofs. Also the and had no material around the bottom and genitals. This was so that they could squat as do their business. I recal! The photos.

Last edited:

maximus otter
Coming from a family of teachers, I recall 'Ryan' being especially associated with disruptive behaviour.

Something I noticed when studying in HE as a mature student was the prevalence of rare 'posh' surnames amongst the authors of research papers that suggested privately educated backgrounds.

Nominative determinism? Or those that qualify for expertise are drawn from a certain general section of society?

Back