• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

At school some of the six-formers removed the racks from inside a vending machine and locked a smaller student in there.

I don't want to sound sadistic, but seeing him stuck behind the glass was quite amusing.

Primary pupils 'fizzing with anger' as figures show attacks rise

Primary school teachers have been bitten, headbutted and attacked with knives by pupils at some schools in Yorkshire, the BBC has learnt.
The number of children suspended for attacks in the region rose from at least 396 in 2011-12 to 623 last year, figures obtained by the BBC reveal.
One West Yorkshire teacher said she was punched in the chest by a five-year-old boy who went on to be suspended.

Former head Anne Swift said some pupils came to school "fizzing with anger".
Ms Swift, who is vice president of the NUT union, said violent behaviour in young pupils was "all too common".
During her time at a primary school in Scarborough, Ms Swift said she had been attacked by a six-year-old girl who did not want to do what was being asked.
"Some children come into school fizzing with anger," she told the BBC.
"It's not only upsetting for the children but it has a devastating impact on the teacher and leaves them feeling very drained."

All local authorities in North, West and South Yorkshire were asked via a freedom of information request to reveal details about the number of pupils expelled and suspended for physically attacking teachers and other school staff, such as teaching assistants, since the 2011-12 school year.
Two attacks on teachers in Bradford in 2014-15 involved knives, the responses revealed.

Of the councils asked, Doncaster, Leeds and Sheffield said they did not hold the required information.
Many of the authorities said their figures did not include academies and free schools.

Figures from the responding councils show a rise in the number of children suspended, as well as an additional 319 pupils between September 2015 and January 2016.

Since 2011-12, 20 pupils have been expelled for violence in schools in Barnsley, Rotherham, Kirklees, Bradford, Calderdale and Wakefield.

Ms Swift blamed rising violent behaviour on increasing demands in the classroom and problems at home.
"There is a lot of pressure on youngsters to perform, particularly because of the testing and assessments the government insists on.
"Sometimes it does not suit the children, they don't want to be sat at a table learning facts and having tests, it can cause them a lot of stress and anxiety."

The Department for Education (DfE) said it had given schools more powers to tackle poor behaviour, including scrapping rules that stopped teachers from removing disruptive pupils from classrooms.
"Teachers and school staff have a right to feel safe while doing their jobs and violence towards them is completely unacceptable," said a spokesperson.
"We have taken decisive action to put teachers back in charge of the classroom by giving them the powers they need to tackle poor behaviour and discipline.
"We have scrapped 'no touch' rules that stopped teachers removing disruptive pupils from classrooms, and ensured schools' decisions on exclusions can no longer be overruled."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35773248

If that's what primary kids are like now, how will they be as secondary school pupils?

Andrew Neil receives grilling from 10-year-old girl during sugar tax debate
'Well, maybe you weren’t educated properly enough about health and wellbeing'
Alexandra Sims
[Video]

Best known for grilling politicians and cutting down celebrities, BBC veteran Andrew Neil appeared to have met his match while interviewing a schoolgirl.
The Daily Politics presenter was left red-faced after 10-year-old Charlotte from Wirrel delivered a cutting jibe towards Mr Neil during a debate about the sugar tax and the “nanny state” on the CBBC programme All Over the Workplace.

When asked by Mr Neil, “You know what I mean by the nanny state, the government telling you what to do, isn’t this just another example of the government trying to tell you what to do?” Charlotte, helped by a notebook of well-researched notes and statistics, replied: “Well Mr Neil, do you remember on January 31st 1983 when seatbelts were made compulsory?
“It wasn’t a popular idea. People didn’t like it. But do you know how many lives it saved a year? Three hundred lives per year because the government did something.”

Responding, Mr Neil said: “"When I was your age and someone told me not to do something, that usually meant I tried to do it."
To which Charlotte dealt the cutting blow: “Well, maybe you weren’t educated properly enough about health and wellbeing." :twisted:
Taken aback, the former editor of the Sunday Times humbly replied: “Many people have said that.”

Charlotte appeared on the CBBC special along with Henrietta from Worcester, also 10, who said during the debate on Friday: “If it's saving lives and helping the NHS, I think we should be told what to do.”

The debate took place before George Osborne announced a sugar tax on the soft drinks industry as part of the 2016 Budget.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ld-girl-during-sugar-tax-debate-a6942631.html

A sugar tax. Hmmm.
Like I said a while back, keep a reserve of sugar...

A sugar tax. Hmmm.
Like I said a while back, keep a reserve of sugar...
I gave up sugar years ago. I drink black coffee, and don't eat breakfast cereal.

And what good has it done me? None whatsoever - I continue to get fatter. (The docs say this is down to the alcohol I consume - bloody spoilsports! :mad:)

I gave up sugar years ago. I drink black coffee, and don't eat breakfast cereal.

And what good has it done me? None whatsoever - I continue to get fatter. (The docs say this is down to the alcohol I consume - bloody spoilsports! :mad:)

But think of how much fatter you could have been had you not given up the frosties.

The alcohol thing is a bugger.

He usually gets on with young people so well.
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 15.07.00jpg.jpg

*Flashback to his Private Eye-reading years*

Andrew Neil is a good egg, in my opinion.
And his wife is only twenty-two years younger than he is.

Good luck to him.

Extraordinary moment kids form an ARROW to help police chopper catch suspected burglars on the run
QUICK-THINKING youngsters on an Easter egg hunt formed an arrow on the ground to point out two suspected burglars to a police chopper.

Amazing video footage from the National Police Air Service helicopter shows the kids pulling off the ingenious stunt - which helped cops arrest the two men a short time later.

Roughly 30 adults and children were taking part in an Easter egg hunt on Good Friday when they saw an NPAS helicopter circling overhead.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...p-Police-chopper-catch-crooks-on-the-run.html

A bit of a tear jerker, this one.
Watch Marshall Janson reduce the crowd to tears as he walks out to meet his idols at Spurs
By WBCaroline | Posted: May 10, 2016

This is the moment Marshall Janson walked on to the pitch of his Tottenham Hotspur idols, enjoyed a kick around with the players and reduced the crowd to tears.

Marshall, eight, from Perranporth, who lost his arms and legs after battling meningitis, was given an emotional reception from everyone within White Hart Lane as he stepped on to the pitch on Sunday.
Marshall was accompanied by Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembele as he joined in with the substitutes for their half-time drills.

[Video]

The heart-warming scenes reduced some in the crowd to tears while those in the White Hart Lane stalls chanted "Sign him up, sign him up!" and "We love you Marshall, we do" according Tottenham's Twitter account posted along with the video of Marshall showing his football moves.

Spurs discovered Marshall was a fan after the Janson family's long-term friend Mark Polmear posted a photograph of the football-mad youngster training in a Tottenham shirt. The photograph went viral on social media and the invitation to meet and play with his idols was extended by the team.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/8203-Wa...-crowd-tears/story-29254150-detail/story.html

Girl, 8, warns family and neighbours of flame-engulfed car moments before it explodes
By Sarah_Herald | Posted: August 01, 2016

A heroic eight-year-old alerted her family to a car engulfed in flames next to their house – moments before it exploded.
Madison Avery was playing in her grandfather's back garden in Milehouse with her little sister when she smelt "something odd".
Thinking it was a neighbour having a barbecue, she ignored it – until the smell "turned strange".

Acting on the spot, Madison climbed the wall at the bottom of the garden and peered over the top, only to find an abandoned Land Rover completely alight.
Running inside to her parents to warn them of the fire, they were able to call 999 before alerting other neighbours.

Now Madison's mum, Kelley Avery, has spoken of her pride and says her daughter deserves public recognition for acting "so calmly".
"She's never been around anything like that before," said the 35-year-old health care coordinator.
"Nobody else knew about the fire and Madison acted so calmly and got her and her sister to safety.

"It's been a hellish year for us as my husband, Matthew, has been fighting bowel cancer and had a lifesaving operation at the end of January.
"But Madison acted so confidently and I am really quite choked now. She is our little rock."

Madison, who only turned eight at the end of July and goes to Montpelier Primary School, was playing with her four-year-old sister Lacey in the garden on Browning Road at about 6.45pm yesterday, Sunday, evening.

Kelley said: "She smelt something odd but then the smell became quite strong and turned strange.
"She clambered the back wall where she saw the car completely engulfed in flames.
"She came running in the house very calmly saying 'Mummy, mummy there's a car on fire with flames coming out of the roof and windows'.

"I went outside and saw 10-foot flames at the bottom of the garden.
"I quickly called for an ambulance and a fire engine, who came quickly and were really good.

"Then there was an explosion but we'd already been able to get out the house and alert the neighbours thanks to our daughter.
"Normally in situations like that she is quite nervous and shy.

Kelley added: "When we were talking to neighbours they were saying nothing has happened like that before where they live.
"I just thought how stupid and selfish it was of the silly people who had done it.
"That could have killed somebody as it was in a built-up residential area and they left the car in the middle of a back lane."

After extinguishing the car blaze, firefighters alerted police as they believed the vehicle had been dumped there.
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said the blue Land Rover Freelander had been stolen from an address in Stoke earlier that evening.
Police have now issued an appeal for witnesses for anyone who may have seen the vehicle driving in the area prior to the blaze, or seen anybody behaving oddly after dumping the car.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/gir...-it-explodes/story-29573068-detail/story.html

Several photos on page.
I used to have digs in Plymouth with a back lane like that.

Dad suing son's posh £125,000 private school after the teenager left with just ONE GCSE

Scott Craddock, 57, spent thousands of pounds in fees for his son David’s education.

And he was left fuming when the 17-year-old got just a single GCSE - a Grade C in science.

" David was disheartened when he got his results. He said 'you spent all that money on my education and I walk away with one GCSE’.”

Son does 5 years @ £28 grand a year & comes out with 1 GCSE. The possibility he's a bit thick or didn't do any work doesn't seem to be in question.

On the plus side his best friend is son of a Russian oligarch so it's not all gloomy.

Cute story. :D

Celtic fan apologises to club for missing match.

A five-year-old Celtic fan rang the club to apologise for missing a game after it clashed with a friend's birthday party.

Louis Kayes, from Moodiesburn in North Lanarkshire, called the club to tell them he was sorry he had not made it to Saturday's game against Motherwell.

The boy's mother, 35-year-old Lisa Kayes, said he had borrowed her phone to make the call.

She told the BBC her son had called after a "bit of a guilt trip".

Cute story. :D

Celtic fan apologises to club for missing match.

A five-year-old Celtic fan rang the club to apologise for missing a game after it clashed with a friend's birthday party.

Louis Kayes, from Moodiesburn in North Lanarkshire, called the club to tell them he was sorry he had not made it to Saturday's game against Motherwell.

The boy's mother, 35-year-old Lisa Kayes, said he had borrowed her phone to make the call.

She told the BBC her son had called after a "bit of a guilt trip".

Must get the Pope to phone him.

Dere iz some serious beef going down with the East Side/West side bredrins, y'get me though cuz ? .. Ali G tastic .. The Blackpool chav kids Grime Scene ... :rofl::rofl: NSFW for bad language and for making you cringe at some very bad rapping .. and that .. worth watching for comedy value alone because it's supposed to be serious innit ...

Last edited:
Two-year-old saves twin brother from falling furniture
53 minutes ago

Two-year-old Bowdy Shoff helped his brother Brock from underneath a chest of drawers that fell when the twins were playing on it.

Parents Kayli and Ricky were hesitant to share the video, but did so in order to spread awareness about the importance of bolting down furniture.

Courtesy: Kayli Shoff via YouTube

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38495647?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Vid at link.

Two-year-old saves twin brother from falling furniture
53 minutes ago

Two-year-old Bowdy Shoff helped his brother Brock from underneath a chest of drawers that fell when the twins were playing on it.

Parents Kayli and Ricky were hesitant to share the video, but did so in order to spread awareness about the importance of bolting down furniture.

Courtesy: Kayli Shoff via YouTube

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38495647?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Vid at link.

A similar but much worse accident happened some years ago in Berkshire -

The day I found my twins crushed to death

Betsy and William Woodbridge had woken early and, having entered an "adventurous stage", emptied the drawers of clothes. Betsy tried to climb in but brought the chest crashing down on top of her and her brother. They died instantly, an inquest was told.

These days parents are advised to secure furniture to walls if young children are around.

worth watching for comedy value alone because it's supposed to be serious innit ...

Watched it the other day. Thought it was so fascinating. And both inspiring and a little bit sad that some kids had actually got off their butts and done something but...there was so much negativity in it. An interesting but difficult watch. Lots of questions.

A young fan was given the surprise of his life when he went to see Changing the Guard at Windsor Castle and a soldier stopped for a photo.

The tot, dressed in the summer version of a guardsman's uniform complete with red jacket and bearskin, looks in awe as the four soldiers march past.

Video at link.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-06-at-123628.jpg

hee hee .. Kids today back when today was in 2009 .. an ace voice changer prank call from a little girl called 'Becky' :) (I've no proof it was a voice changer or indeed that it was a prank)

Last edited:
I don't think I'll play that one to my present pupils: they would see it as an action plan! :rolleyes:

I was browsing through some of the backgound details of a very difficult pupil today, hoping to find guidance on the best way to deal with him.

The phone-log was enlightening. About twenty calls had been made to the mother and her replies transcribed, with initials for the obscenities. Often she answered the phone with "eff off!"

By comparison, her son was almost a gentleman! :oops:

Last edited:
This is quite remarkable!
Falmouth mum Alice Gray stunned as Houdini toddler Leo climbs two stairgates to escape from his room
By CMJacqui | Posted: January 29, 2017

Video:
This adorable toddler is not even two yet and he's so good at climbing that he's easily scaled TWO stairgates to escape from his room - just 10 minutes after his mum put them up.

Mum Alice Gray says her little boy Leo has been a "little monkey" since he started walking at nine months and he tries to climb out of any cot, high chair and even car seat that they put him in.
The family have even had to NAIL their windows shut because the 21-month-old boy is always climbing onto their windowsills and trying to get out of the windows.

Alice, who's 23 and lives in Falmouth with her partner Jordan Westlake, says her clever little boy has been a "handful" ever since he was born - and came as a total shock to her after her first little girl, who was a really chilled out baby.
"It is just crazy, he's like a little monkey," she told Cornwall Live. "He's been doing that since he could walk at nine months. He's been quite full on and a bit of a handful. We don't have a minute's peace until he goes to bed."

She said she put the double stairgate up to try and keep him in his room as he was climbing straight over a normal gate. But within minutes, he had scaled the double-height gate and got straight out again. :eek:
"That double stair gate hadn't even been up 10 minutes," she said. "I thought he would be too scared. But he wasn't, he just did it. He's never fallen off anything. All he does is climb. Even at four months old he could lift stuff He's really strong. I've given birth to a super baby.
"It's such a mission to keep him in his room. He just doesn't like going to bed. He's a little escapist. We're going to have a little Houdini on our hands."

The mum-of-two said she'd never been able to keep him in a high chair and she's constantly on edge whenever she's driving anywhere with him in the car seat as he tries to take off his straps.
She reckons he takes after his dad Jordan, but says he also copies his older sister Olivia, who's nearly 7 and is also full of energy and has lots to say.

"We had to have the side off the cot because he was just climbing straight out. We had the side on for about six months last August and then it went downhill from there.

"He has just been crazy. He's always climbing up on the windowsills. He will carry on climbing over the stair gate. There's still a stair gate on the kitchen but we have to tie the door to the stair gate so he can't get in at night.

"We have to nail the window shut in the front room because he keeps climbing up on the window sills and opening the window. He can already unlock the front door and get out of it. :evil:
"He's such a character. He's the funniest baby I've ever met. He can say anything. He loves it. He's just grown up really fast. I think it's really cool as well. He rolled over when he was eight weeks old or two months. He's not been a baby long."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/falmout...rom-his-room/story-30092623-detail/story.html

More pics on page. I think there's a gap in the market here - barbed wire for kids! :twisted:

A tadpole convincing us that he's a gangster rapper .. I now haz serious beef wiv dis bredrin ..

Back