Kids Today

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Brings new meaning to Pirate Barbie (there is a pirate Barbie, isn't there?!).

hunck

Justified & Ancient
12 year old girl saves many lives on Pacific Island

At 6am, 12 year old Martina Maturana felt tremors on isolated Robinson Crusoe Island in the Pacific & noticed boats bobbling & crashing together unusually in the harbour.

She ran to to town square & rang the emergency bell to rouse the fishing community from their sleep. Martina did not know the emergency codes for ringing the bell – two rings for fire, three for landslides – but her prompt actions nevertheless prompted other islanders to flee to the safety of high ground.

The warning gave them the opportunity to follow the evacuation signs set up for such an emergency and escape the massive incoming wave triggered by the earthquake off Chile. A few minutes later, waves crashed on to the land and swept 300 metres into the village, destroying homes, schools and killing up to eight people.

Eight others were seriously injured and evacuated from the island – but many more were grateful for the intervention of the young girl. "We took off and three minutes later the sea rose 20 metres high, and a large wave came and destroyed my house," one man told Chilean television as he stood among the splintered wood and debris of his home. "I heard all the wood creaking and then this part collapsed and the sea carried away the whole house."

The story filtered out from the island yesterday, a rare piece of warming news four days after the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that killed about 800 people predominantly on the mainland of south-central Chile. Robinson Crusoe Island, the largest of three in the Juan Fernandez archipelago, was named in honour of a Scottish mariner called Alexander Selkirk who is said to have inspired Daniel Defoe's classic tale.

Roger Nowell

Chief Scrobbler
Whilst the "Growing Old" thread is morphing into the Monty Python / Yorkshiremen sketch, I'm reminded of something I've not heard since the late 70's.

Have any northern English forumites heard today's kids say "thou" - often pronounced "thu"?

There were a few such when I was a boy. I think they had moved here from South Yorks mining towns or the North Yorks dales.

It's really intimidating being threatened by a kid who says "thou" or "thine" [your]. Akin to being bullied by a junior Sean Bean.

"Thou's gonna get thine head kicked in"..

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
It just occured to me today that one schoolkid habit seems to have died out almost completely. A few years ago, most of the girls' exercise books would be adorned with the pale and gurning visages of Dustbin Bleeder and Cloned Erection etc. Boys would more often opt for their sporting heroes. These days, nothing much, apart from the odd insult scribbled on someone else's book, out of spite.

The last time I encountered any wholesale decoration of exercise books was in a school which encouraged a sort of fridge-magnet approach to self-expression for the littluns in their first week at big school. It was mainly a chance to show off their pets.

Have I been living in an untypical sector of the modern world or has the exercise-book lost its appeal as a personal statement, now everyone is on social media? :thought:

'Indian man to sue parents for giving birth to him'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47154287

He's only half serious but it's an interesting philosophical question, given the current state of humanity and what we are doing to our planet, personally I do wonder if anti-natalists might have a point?
I think the point is 'Wah wah wah, my life's not a bed of roses, who can I blame?'

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
What she supposed to do, shove him back up, or, if he did not want to be born, kill him, problem sorted, she had an abortion, cant be doing with stupid stuff like this twerpy twonk

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Journalist, 12, faces off with police officer who threatened to arrest & throw her in juvie

It sounds like something from children’s fiction: a 12-year-old intrepid journalist who fights off threats from the mob and local police to self-publish the truth about her local area in her own newspaper.

But Hilde Lysiak, the editor of the Orange Street News, is the real deal. In 2016, when she was just nine years old, she broke the story of a homicide in her hometown of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, interviewing witnesses and locals hours before other news outlets had ever reached the scene. Hilde’s scoop became a bigger story than the murder. Since then she has broken exclusives on rapes, robberies and a roaming mountain lion as well as fending off threatening text messages after reporting on an alleged drug dealer.

Now Hilde is making headlines of her own once again, after she filmed an Arizona town marshal, Joseph Patterson, threatening her. In the feisty exchange, she repeatedly asks the officer why he threatened to throw her in juvenile prison and what crime she had supposedly committed.

Patterson incorrectly tells her that it would be illegal for her to post a video of the exchange online. It’s a first amendment right to film and publish exchanges with law enforcement. Patterson has since been disciplined by local officials.

According to Hilde’s account in the Orange Street News, she had been riding her bike chasing down a tip when Patterson stopped her. She identified herself as a journalist and Patterson told her: “I don’t want to hear about any of that freedom of the press stuff … I’m going to have you arrested and thrown in juvie.”

After asking what she could be arrested for, Hilde claims Patterson first said she could be arrested for “disobeying his command”, then for riding on the wrong side of the road, then because a mountain lion was spotted in the area – although she points out that “other people in the area who were not kicked off the road”.

Even before this incident, Hilde’s journalistic exploits have now been made into a Scholastic book series called Hilde Cracks the Case. In the first book she solves the mystery of the stolen cupcakes from an Orange Street bakery. More titles, and a TV series have been developed. Perhaps Hilde Shuts Up a Cop will be among them.
Video at link.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
During the Winter months my nephew's School allowed the older pupils to bring in a hot drink for 'little break'. His mum (my sister) bought a decent Thermos flask from Tesco and sent him off with soup. Later that day she asked how he had got on:

'soup was OK but I couldn't get some of the lumps out, I had to use a spoon'.
'why didn't you pour it out into the cup'
'I didn't have a cup'.
'the cap you unscrewed from the top of the thermos, that's your cup Silly'.
'Oh'.

His father from the other room; 'I never knew that !! - that's brilliant ..'

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
'I didn't have a cup'.
'the cap you unscrewed from the top of the thermos, that's your cup Silly'.
'Oh'.

His father from the other room; 'I never knew that !! - that's brilliant ..'
:doh: :roll:

Not recognizing the Thermos cap as being a deliberately designed cup doesn't bother me.

Not noticing the cap could serve as a cup to solve the immediate problem does bother me.